Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  

Topic: Off season around the league (other teams)

Post Info
Alumni
Date:
RE: Off season around the league (other teams)

In other news Tim Peel joined Twitter.

In related news, in less than 24 hours he is forced to take it down due to fan "interest".  bleh

Alumni
Date:

COL: team is taking Ryan O'Reilly to arbitration today.  He's 22 years old and has one contentious contract negotiation last year before this one.   Is this another I-just-don't-want-to-be-here situation, like Turris in Arizona?

MIN: Vanek appears before a federal investigation into gambling at a restaurant in Rochester.  

There are still interesting stories in the NHL right now.

Alumni
Date:

Franson last year: $2M

Franson this year: $3.3M

That's a healthy increase for a player they are supposedly looking to trade.

With Franson, they still only have 5D signed, as "the saviour" Jake Gardiner still needs a new contract (RFA).   They do have 15F signed according to capgeek.com, and Reimer's arbitration hearing is July 28th.

Alumni
Date:

Sounds like they avoided arbitration with Franson: 1 year/ $3.3 million.  Must be they're trying to trade him still.  

‏@simmonssteve

BREAKING: Leafs avoid arbitration with Cody Fronton. One year deal: 3.3 million.

Alumni
Date:

Tomorrow (Monday July 21st), the Make Believes are going into arbitration hearings for Cody Franson and James Reimer.   Given how far under the bus the latter was thrown at the end of last season, it seemed a forgone conclusion that he'd be moved, but given that most teams have their starter/backup slots filled, it's starting to look like he's going to be in Toronto for the upcoming season.   James Mirtle has an excellent article on both of these players' situations.

It could be fun, depending on how things work out.   And by fun, I mean entertainment for those of us who like to laugh at TML hardships.

Jedi Master
Date:

Agent Orange wrote:

Nashville has a history of being able to handle guys with behavioral/substance abuse issues. Probably best place for Ribeiro to land.

Do you suppose they lock 'em in a room and force them to listen to country music until they sober up?

Alumni
Date:

Ribeiro is definitely being brought in to fill in for Fisher, and I think Roy is coming on board to keep Jarnkrok or Sissons in the AHL for the season (although Jarnkrok may play wing for them).

Ribeiro-Roy-Jokinen all as one year centers, yikes. Think they are going full rebuild now?

Nashville has a history of being able to handle guys with behavioral/substance abuse issues. Probably best place for Ribeiro to land.

Alumni
Date:

I think one of either Roy or Ribeiro are being brought in to fill in for Fisher (out 4-6 months with an Achilles injury). 

Jedi Master
Date:

Nashville stocking up for some reason... I certainly hope they don't think they are one Derek Roy and one Mike Ribeiro away from a cup!

Alumni
Date:

NAS continue their list of 1yr/$1M signings today with Derek Roy and Mike Ribeiro (who got an extra $50k). I had no idea that ARI had bought out Ribeiro after only 1yr of the 4yr contract, nor that it was for "behaviour issues".

Alumni
Date:

I feel bad for Nashville... it's really not their fault they had to match Webber's ridiculous offer from Philly.

But it essentially comes around to the irony of the constant bitching of the owners every time the CBA is up for renewal.... "Players want too much money, we can't afford it, blah blah....." *offers ridiculous salaries to players*

Pie Connoisseur
Date:

"Toews/Kane getting $10.5M doesn't surprise me as much as 9 other players in the NHL making $10M or more. "

Isn't it fun sit here and watch the rich guys buying nice stuff while we go without or sell our stuff to get by.

C3
Veteran
Date:

SensKat wrote:

tjlincoln wrote:

That's an awfully large picture of Phillips pointing

lol - yes it is.  Can't wait until this thread gets to the next page so I can stop scrolling!

As for Vrbata...  It's a bit high.  Here's the latest that Dreger had to say about it:

Seems like a bridge for both Canucks and Vrbata. Pay more, but short term. Good add to Sedin line.

You could always make 50 short posts in a row and get rid of it?

Alumni
Date:

Toews/Kane getting $10.5M doesn't surprise me as much as 9 other players in the NHL making $10M or more. 

Capgeek.com salary leaders list

Pie Connoisseur
Date:

I think he could still be effective as a number 5 or 6 guy killing penalties or trying to kill off the last few minuets of a game. Definitely cannot play 20 minuets a game any more.

Jedi Master
Date:

And really, when was the last time you saw him throw one of those massive hip-checks?

Alumni
Date:

But his shins are 103.

Alumni
Date:

I find most players, when they've been bought out, get a new salary that is quite a bit below what their old contract was *because* they're already get a partial-salary from their previous team.   Vinny Lecavalier comes to mind as a recent example.

Volchenkov's buyout is $1.416M for four years, so even with that he's looking at less than $2.5M this season when his former cap hit and salary was $4.25M.   Then again, I think we all shook our heads when NJD signed A-Train for six seasons.   It's hard to wrap my head around the fact that he's only 32 years old.

Alumni
Date:

thats quite a pay cut for a-train.

Pan
Alumni
Date:

Trade back Legwand?

«First  <  1 2 3 4 511  >  Last»  | Page of 11  sorted by
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.