Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  

Topic: Off season around the league (other teams)

Post Info
Alumni
Date:
RE: Off season around the league (other teams)

......and just like that, Gardiner is signed to a 5yr / $20.25M contract.   Now TML has 15F, 6D, 2G, retained salary for Gunnarson and a buyout for Gleason taking them to cap salary of $68,640,000 (actual salary is $76,979,167) and cap space of $360k.  I'm sure one or two F will be sent to the Marlies to clear some cap space when the season begins.  

This means that Toronto will start the season without Gleason or Ranger, but otherwise the same D as last year.   At least as a Sens fan I can expect improvement from our D as we know they really can be better than last year.  TML?  Not so much, other than hoping Polak can still be good on a different team in blue.

Bahahahaha!  According to this article, Carlyle expects either Gardiner or Reilly to be in the 'top pairing' with Princess Phaneuf, Duchess of Overrated.

Alumni
Date:

Thanks TJ -- I knew I recognized the name from something but couldn't figure out what it was (and, to be honest, hadn't really tried all that hard to figure it out as I didn't care enough to).   I've always wondered why Wilson traded McGinn away when he knew he had a good pairing with he and Couture.    Oh well, not every trade ends up being beneficial to both sides.

DET: with Tatar signed, the Red Wings still have RFA D Danny Dekeyser to sign ($1.35M last year) as well as some guy who wears #11.....if he decides he still wants to play.   They currently have 13F 6D 2G signed, and $5.8M of cap space left.  

TOR:  have 18F under NHL contract, 5D, 2G and four buyouts (2 are compliance) on the books, and 11 of the F are signed for $1.5M or less and 9 of those are on 1 year deals.  They still have to sign RFA D Jake "The Saviour" Gardiner too and they have $2.822M of cap space at the moment, but that's taking into consideration all the F they have signed.   I wonder how they'll fit Coulton Orr into their lineup?

Confident Fan
Date:

Kardinal wrote:

Hot alerts from either the NHL Gamecentre app or the TSN app:

DET signs Tatar to a 3yr deal.

TOR signs UFA Daniel Winnik to a 1 year deal.

Winnik was on the Sharks for a short time, the Sharks traded ex-67 Jamie McGinn for him. Horrible trade by Doug Wilson by the way.  Anyway I already hated this guy and now that he's a Leaf it just went up double.

Confident Fan
Date:

Kardinal wrote:

NAS signed Volchenkov for $1M, and have left Del Zotto as a UFA (and he's still unsigned as of July 28th).   I'm surprised no team has interest in MDZ.

I remember one mock draft had the Sens taking Del Zotto instead of ErikKarlsson, that wouldn't have worked out for the Sens.  That's just a small understatement

Alumni
Date:

Another good ole Toronto boy taking a hometown discount to play with his favorite team.

With that, the Laffs currently have 11 bottom-6 forwards signed for next season.

Alumni
Date:

Hot alerts from either the NHL Gamecentre app or the TSN app:

DET signs Tatar to a 3yr deal.

TOR signs UFA Daniel Winnik to a 1 year deal.

Alumni
Date:

Thanks for the update on Tatar, AO -- it makes sense, but I hadn't seen that news.

Alumni
Date:

I follow Detroit a bit too, and his non-signing is the same as the Sens with Lehner.

With Tatar, they've agreed on term with either a 2 or 3 year deal and will probably end up around $2.5 per (Kreider contract comparable).

Alumni
Date:

DET: as far as I can find, Tatar isn't signed yet.  I'm sure he was qualified, but I've not seen anything about him signing the contract.   As far as I can tell, he's not eligible for arbitration, so it's sign or you don't play unless there is an offer sheet from another team.    I'd see him as an attractive target, given his play last year and that you'd probably get him for less than $1.7M and that salary would only cost the signing team a 3rd round pick.

Alumni
Date:

NAS signed Volchenkov for $1M, and have left Del Zotto as a UFA (and he's still unsigned as of July 28th).   I'm surprised no team has interest in MDZ.

Alumni
Date:

All the talk about Stamkos going to the Leafs came about because he was in Toronto for a special ball/street hockey event with Coke (sponsor of his) and he marked-a-favorite a tweet about him playing in Toronto.   After that, the whole centre-of-the-universe went into a misled tizzy that he wanted to play there, he was coming, etc etc etc.  Typical Leaftardedness.

I thought players moved teams because they wanted to win?  Going from TBL, who I see as a legitimate contender in the East, to a perptual failure isn't a career advancing move, it's death by a thousand cuts.   I can't see either Stamkos, Tavares, or any other genuine superstar wanting to play in Toronto until they show they are actually competitive on an ongoing basis.   Even then, the pressure/attention/spotlight/fishbowl might be enough to keep them away.

Alumni
Date:

Nah I bet he signs a two year extension with TB so he and Tavares can both sign with the Leafs as UFAs.

Confident Fan
Date:

heard some talk about Stamkos the hometown Toronto boy maybe doing like LeBron and going home after his contract is up, what do you suppose Leaf fans are thinking about that?

Alumni
Date:

Le oops -- my mistake.  Yeah, it was a holdout, not arbitration, but it was another salary confrontation.  I'd be surprised if the COL GM wasn't looking for a deal to get rid of him before too long.  He's got talent, but he's also got a lot of self-centredness that would decrease the value of the trade.

Alumni
Date:

Kardinal wrote:

Ryan O'Reilly signs a 2yr / $12M contract with COL, avoiding arbitration.    I've read/heard that this means he'll be a UFA at the end of the two years, as he's 23 now, he signed when he was 18, and he's been through arbitration (twice?).   I'm trying to find confirmation about this, and the reasons why.

He's only been to arbitration once, he wasn't eligible before.  He was holding out at the start of 2012-13 after rejecting his RFA Qualifying offer and signed a 2 year KHL contract during the lockout and started the 2013 season there.  He then signed an offer sheet in February 2013 with the Flames, which the Avalanche matched.  The team elected to take him to arbitration this year in order to protect themselves from another offer sheet.

He's all about the money.

Alumni
Date:

SensKat wrote:

It's too bad, though - Kerry Fraser has been a huge sensation since he retired and started getting his knowledge and insights out there. If they want to monitor the accounts to make sure the refs aren't violating any privacy issues that's one thing, but to completely forbid them to be on social media is VERY outdated thinking.

I think it's the old "appearance of impropriety" thing -- it's the potential for something completely innocent to look bad that is the worry.  Officiating is supposed to be impartial and it should be invisible (ie/ not noticed other than doing their job), but there are refs out there who think they are the show rather than being part of the mechanism that allows the show to happen.

Alumni
Date:

The Benoit thing indeed surprises me. As we're stocked on defense too, there's no way he'd come to Ottawa, but I'd rather see him than a few others... and I'm pointing to no one in particular :)

Buffalo is starting to build a very nice competitor here. GMTM must love the opportunity he's got there. He's got a free hand and quite the mess to clean up, so results almost guaranteed. There definitely are some things going on there I'd love to see happening in Ottawa, but we never where that bad I guess. They will almost certain become a fun but fierce opponent for us to play against. If they manage to suck bad enough this year to land a coveted player in the draft, they could become the next Penguins or Blackhawks IMO.

Alumni
Date:

Ryan O'Reilly signs a 2yr / $12M contract with COL, avoiding arbitration.    I've read/heard that this means he'll be a UFA at the end of the two years, as he's 23 now, he signed when he was 18, and he's been through arbitration (twice?).   I'm trying to find confirmation about this, and the reasons why.

Andre Benoit has signed with BUF for 1yr/$800k.   I'm surprised he was on the FA list for so long, as he had a good year in COL last year but they are stocked with D for the coming season.   Another smart play by Tim Murray picking up a player he knows well.

Jedi Master
Date:

It's too bad, though - Kerry Fraser has been a huge sensation since he retired and started getting his knowledge and insights out there. If they want to monitor the accounts to make sure the refs aren't violating any privacy issues that's one thing, but to completely forbid them to be on social media is VERY outdated thinking.

Alumni
Date:

Apparently, it's in the CBA between the NHL and the officials that they aren't to be 'available" to the public on social media.   I can't say I'm surprised, given the closed-ranks and non-comment status that the NHL has about refereeing.

«First  <  1 2 3 411  >  Last»  | Page of 11  sorted by
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.