Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  

Topic: Spezza

Post Info
Rookie
Date:
RE: Spezza

People have to blame someone for the Sens season and unfortunately it's Spezza. They seemed to have forgotten the D was atrocious and scary to watch most nights. Goaltending was mediocre.

I thought Spezza and Hemsky played well together. If he had Hemsky from the start of the season, would the Sens have had a better fate?

And why is it not more beneficial to wait until trade deadline to trade him? Wouldn't he be worth more?

Alumni
Date:

I've been on the move Spezza bus for a while now.  Not the run him out of town for peanuts because he sucks hysteria train that seems to be associated with anybody that is open to moving him, that group is just your typical fair weather fan.

Why?

1)  He no longer fits the mold of this team and the playoff winning formula:  Speed, grit, two way play.

2)  He's not a good fit at captain.  Well liked, but has no accountability.  

3)  He will want an expensive and lengthy contract with a NTC next season.  It's his retirement contract.  His kid is starting school next year, I believe, so I expect he is not going to want to uproot his family.  

4)  We have to sign players to try and mesh with him (e.g. Hemsky and Michalek) because no one we currently have has shown consistent success him.  That means we are going to lose other pieces like MacArthur who is a more complete player and leader.  That's going to be too much money tied up in a line that is known to be hot/cold and a huge injury risk.

Now if he is moved it has to be for the right pieces.  If the deal isn't there, keep him and let him walk if they have to.  Not great asset management, but at least show that you tried to accommodate him (e.g. Fisher to Nashville) and it just didn't work out.  They need that PR boost.

Teams that are known to have interest:  Anaheim, Colorado, St. Louis, Rangers, Nashville.  All of them have the pieces to get it done and can improve this team to the point that when Turris, Zibby, Ryan, and Karlsson are at their peaks the team is a complete Cup contender for 10 years rather than a rather short 2-3 year window that we may have with a Spezza line.

-- Edited by Agent Orange on Thursday 22nd of May 2014 11:25:20 AM

Alumni
Date:

I'm still living in the world where none of these trade rumours are even remotely possible - I may be am in denial, and I refuse to accept the fact that this is real.

I also find it ridiculous that fans are questioning how other fans could possibly be upset about it. Everyone was outraged when Alfie left, but no one gives a damn about Spezza?? I find that hard to believe. 

Alumni
Date:

No C, you aren't the only one.  

I find it funny that a fan base who, as a whole complained that the team doesn't spend enough money, are the same people who want to get rid of a point-a-game bona fide #1 centre for "whatever comes back" because they've decided they don't like him. 

I think GMBM has his hands full with trying to build a new #1 line if he doesn't have 19 + 83 (I don't see 9MM returning).

Regular
Date:

I don't.

Alumni
Date:

I felt the rally was doomed from the start. But, say what you want - these guys/gals did what they felt they could. And they did get press!

Am I still the only one that doesn't want Spezza to be traded?

Regular
Date:

I wasn't expecting more than that, it's slacktivism plain and simple.

But of course my dad who claims to be a Sens fan but pays no attention to them until the playoffs sees the video on the Ottawa Sun website and yells out "SPEZZA'S BEEN TRADED!!!!" before he even watches it. 

Alumni
Date:

Honestly, were the RSU expecting more than that? I certainly wasn't, and I'm not being a pessimist but a realist: it's not something that is going to generate a lot of fan support in the off-season.

I do see a bit of irony that the crowd of 'regulars' they get at the Senate on game nights is bigger than the crowd that showed on the Hill for the rally.

Regular
Date:

Something between 24 and 30 people showed up. They hurt Spezza again like the first rally did.

I wish him well. He's a decent guy. He's got to get out of here. Let Da Costa skate his brains out on the second line. If he falters swap Pageau in. Take the Spezza money and over pay Hemsky and Michalek to get them back. Extend McArthur and maybe Ryan. That's our team next year. When Clarke gets extended I'm ordering the jersey. If not I'm rolling with the Karlsson jersey. Can't wait. Dying for Sens to be back.

C3
Veteran
Date:

Give CC the C and end the reign of Spezza as soon as possible.

Rookie
Date:

RSU had their rally todaay, they raised 221 dollars for DIFD

Alumni
Date:

Everyone now seems to think it's a foregone conclusion he WILL be traded. I still maintain I'd rather keep him. I know the underground used to be polarized on him. But it's this whole expectation of what we wanted him to be. He's not that guy - he is what is his and he'll be tough to replace

«First  <  16 7 8 | Page of 8  sorted by
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.