Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  

Topic: Game 35 - Sens @ Caps - Thu, Dec 29, 7:00pm

Post Info
Alumni
Date:
RE: Game 35 - Sens @ Caps - Thu, Dec 29, 7:00pm

Have we really not had a single dab yet?

Alumni
Date:

OTT, WSH, CAN, AUT…all RED in the score bugs

Alumni
Date:

Cathy wrote:
Homer wrote:

Challenge of the week. 

Control my mom's TV (Rogers and streaming services) remotely.  My aunt who is older than my mom has moved in and she likes to watch TV, but she nor does my mom know how to use the TV.  My mom had a stroke 8 years ago an has really be loosing her memory and can't learn anything new. 

A family life long friend is my mom and now my aunts care giver, but she is not always home.  Over the past few weeks she's called my sister, my brother and also me to play something on the TV, but we struggled walking her through it and she gets frustrated.

Solution I have so far.

- Google Nest Hub under a home I called Mom's that I granted myself access to.  From my phone, I can sent commands to play something on Netflix or Disney+.  Prime Video doesn't work directly with the Nest Hub. 

- TV is a "smart TV" that is connected to WIFI and was hopping to be able to control the inputs or use the native Netflix, Disney+ Prime Video with the Google Nets Hub, but alas it's not compatible. Had to use the Chromecast for those components. 

- The Rogers remote can be spoken into to control other aspects.  I can get my mom to push the mic button and sent it voice commands.  It can't be controlled from the Nest Hub, but I may have a solution for that over the next week.  

- Used a Raspberry Pi mini computer with Linux on it and configured a VPN that I can connect to with my phone. From my phone I have an app to control the TV itself.  Turn off/on, volume, inputs, etc...   That actually works. 

Still a few things to iron out, but it's a good start. My brother said that I should package this and sell it. We both looked and there's nothing like this out there that we know of.  Lot's of people asking about it though. Problem is I don't think there's a one solution fits all that would work without doing a whole lot of development work.  I spent a few days this week coming up with a solution and some testing ay my place, but still spent the whole day at my mom's today with my Techie MacGyver solution and still need to iron things out. 

Is the caregiver there *most* of the time? I'm wondering if there's a way to set up a "smart button" that turns on the TV and navigates to a certain channel/stream if there's a few channels they regularly watch. (But probably not worth the trouble if you personally only need to control the TV on rare occasions.)

She's there most of the time, but is sometimes out to run errands and was spending time with family a few evenings this past week.  She's going on a cruise in February so my sister will be coming down from BC to stay at my mom's to prepare meals and stuff.  I'll also go spend a few weeks there for snow clearing that the service is not able to get to and run errands. 

It's a real challenge that if a universal works everywhere solution can work would sell, but man, it was a lot of work to figure things out for my mom's setup and it's still pieced together from a bunch of different things. 

Alumni
Date:

Homer wrote:

Challenge of the week. 

Control my mom's TV (Rogers and streaming services) remotely.  My aunt who is older than my mom has moved in and she likes to watch TV, but she nor does my mom know how to use the TV.  My mom had a stroke 8 years ago an has really be loosing her memory and can't learn anything new. 

A family life long friend is my mom and now my aunts care giver, but she is not always home.  Over the past few weeks she's called my sister, my brother and also me to play something on the TV, but we struggled walking her through it and she gets frustrated.

Solution I have so far.

- Google Nest Hub under a home I called Mom's that I granted myself access to.  From my phone, I can sent commands to play something on Netflix or Disney+.  Prime Video doesn't work directly with the Nest Hub. 

- TV is a "smart TV" that is connected to WIFI and was hopping to be able to control the inputs or use the native Netflix, Disney+ Prime Video with the Google Nets Hub, but alas it's not compatible. Had to use the Chromecast for those components. 

- The Rogers remote can be spoken into to control other aspects.  I can get my mom to push the mic button and sent it voice commands.  It can't be controlled from the Nest Hub, but I may have a solution for that over the next week.  

- Used a Raspberry Pi mini computer with Linux on it and configured a VPN that I can connect to with my phone. From my phone I have an app to control the TV itself.  Turn off/on, volume, inputs, etc...   That actually works. 

Still a few things to iron out, but it's a good start. My brother said that I should package this and sell it. We both looked and there's nothing like this out there that we know of.  Lot's of people asking about it though. Problem is I don't think there's a one solution fits all that would work without doing a whole lot of development work.  I spent a few days this week coming up with a solution and some testing ay my place, but still spent the whole day at my mom's today with my Techie MacGyver solution and still need to iron things out. 

Is the caregiver there *most* of the time? I'm wondering if there's a way to set up a "smart button" that turns on the TV and navigates to a certain channel/stream if there's a few channels they regularly watch. (But probably not worth the trouble if you personally only need to control the TV on rare occasions.)

Jedi Master
Date:

senior wrote:
SensKat wrote:
Homer wrote:

Challenge of the week. 

Solution I have so far.

Interesting.  I can definitely see where a full-blown setup like this would come in handy.

You totally lost me.

Basically he's figuring out a setup that lets him control his mother's tv, cable, and streaming services remotely.

Pie Connoisseur
Date:

SensKat wrote:
Homer wrote:

Challenge of the week. 

Solution I have so far.

Interesting.  I can definitely see where a full-blown setup like this would come in handy.

You totally lost me.

Jedi Master
Date:

Homer wrote:

Challenge of the week. 

Solution I have so far.

Alumni
Date:

That…was a long week, Homer.

Jedi Master
Date:

Puck drop

Alumni
Date:

Challenge of the week. 

Solution I have so far.

Alumni
Date:

my card

3-2 WSH, Kuz GWG

Jedi Master
Date:

3-2 Caps, Ovie with the GWG

my card

Pie Connoisseur
Date:

5-3 bad guys. Sheary GWG.

My card: https://www.focusring.ca/bingo/SensBingo.html?board=ZRMAUhOKBHTQtrcFLjVPGDIl&scored=4096&bname=senior

Confident Fan
Date:

4-2 Caps Ovechkin

Zinfandel Expert
Date:

4-2 Sens win. Stützle GWG.

Alumni
Date:

4-2 Sens, Giroux with the winner

Get your Sens Bingo card here

My card

«First  <  1 2 3 4 5 | Page of 5  sorted by