Topic: 2022 draft

Post Info
Confident Fan
Date:
RE: 2022 draft

Russell wrote:
tjlincoln wrote:

Mark Lazerus Chicago beat writer: Not happy w Hawks

DeBrincat is 24. In his five-year career, he’s had two 40-goal seasons and scored at a 50-goal pace in the COVID-shortened 2021 season. Drafted as something of a one-trick goal-scoring pony, he’s been a point-a-game player the last two seasons. He’s emerged as a legitimate two-way force. He kills penalties now, too, and does it well. He has a tenacity and a scrappiness and a fire that belie his diminutive stature and soft-spoken public persona. He was on track to be a future captain of the Chicago Blackhawks. And just as importantly, he actually wanted to be here, the one stalwart star who truly bought in on the first attempt at a rebuild two seasons ago, who wasn’t waffling on his commitment to the team throughout a trying 2021-22 campaign.

Well, the Blackhawks just traded him to the Ottawa Senators for the hockey equivalent of two lottery tickets (the Nos. 7 and 39 picks in Thursday’s first round, along with a third-rounder in 2024), the opportunity to draft two players who — if history and the scouts who have evaluated this year’s draft are any indication — most likely won’t ever amount to anything close to what DeBrincat is and will continue to be for years to come.

sucks to be chicago!

They want Bedard and u gotta believe Patrick Kane is next out the door 

Alumni
Date:

tjlincoln wrote:

DeBrincat is 24. In his five-year career, he’s had two 40-goal seasons and scored at a 50-goal pace in the COVID-shortened 2021 season. Drafted as something of a one-trick goal-scoring pony, he’s been a point-a-game player the last two seasons. He’s emerged as a legitimate two-way force. He kills penalties now, too, and does it well. He has a tenacity and a scrappiness and a fire that belie his diminutive stature and soft-spoken public persona. He was on track to be a future captain of the Chicago Blackhawks. And just as importantly, he actually wanted to be here, the one stalwart star who truly bought in on the first attempt at a rebuild two seasons ago, who wasn’t waffling on his commitment to the team throughout a trying 2021-22 campaign.

Well, the Blackhawks just traded him to the Ottawa Senators for the hockey equivalent of two lottery tickets (the Nos. 7 and 39 picks in Thursday’s first round, along with a third-rounder in 2024), the opportunity to draft two players who — if history and the scouts who have evaluated this year’s draft are any indication — most likely won’t ever amount to anything close to what DeBrincat is and will continue to be for years to come.

sucks to be chicago!

Confident Fan
Date:

Confident Fan
Date:

Russell wrote:
tjlincoln wrote:
Russell wrote:
Homer wrote:
Russell wrote:

if not for Matt Murray invoking his NT clause, Dorion was going to send him to buffalo, retain salary, and flip the 7th pick for the 16th. 

yikes. 

Instead we trade the 7th & 39th overall picks this draft and a 3rd round pick in 2024 for Alex DeBrincat.

DeBrincat is 24 and a 40 goal scorer.  He's entering a contract year paying him $9M, with a cap hit of $6.4M.

This doesn't sound like a contract the Sens usually pick up. 

as I said on twitter, how could the gm that worked these two deals be the same guy?

OMG!!! 1 trade I agree with. With the stipulation that they HAVE TO RESIGN HIM NOW!!!! TODAY or BEFORE THE SEASON. You under no circumstances make this trade without an understanding of a contract just about in place. If you don’t and he has the same type of year he always has he has all the leverage and can ask for anything and you have to do it to justify giving up so much. If they don’t it smells like the Duchene deal, Duchene had all the leverage and Ottawa has stunk since that stupid trade. 

-- Edited by tjlincoln on Thursday 7th of July 2022 05:14:12 PM

I believe I heard they did this deal without even talking to the Cat. So, they'll have to convince him this is where he wants to be. 

lol, did these guys not learn anything from the horrid Duchene experience. 

-- Edited by tjlincoln on Thursday 7th of July 2022 07:23:12 PM

Alumni
Date:

What kind of voodoo is this

Zinfandel Expert
Date:

So...Russell has another Cat?

Alumni
Date:

tjlincoln wrote:
Russell wrote:
Homer wrote:
Russell wrote:

if not for Matt Murray invoking his NT clause, Dorion was going to send him to buffalo, retain salary, and flip the 7th pick for the 16th. 

yikes. 

Instead we trade the 7th & 39th overall picks this draft and a 3rd round pick in 2024 for Alex DeBrincat.

DeBrincat is 24 and a 40 goal scorer.  He's entering a contract year paying him $9M, with a cap hit of $6.4M.

as I said on twitter, how could the gm that worked these two deals be the same guy?

OMG!!! 1 trade I agree with. With the stipulation that they HAVE TO RESIGN HIM NOW!!!! TODAY or BEFORE THE SEASON. You under no circumstances make this trade without an understanding of a contract just about in place. If you don’t and he has the same type of year he always has he has all the leverage and can ask for anything and you have to do it to justify giving up so much. If they don’t it smells like the Duchene deal, Duchene had all the leverage and Ottawa has stunk since that stupid trade. 

I believe I heard they did this deal without even talking to the Cat. So, they'll have to convince him this is where he wants to be. 

Alumni
Date:

Homer wrote:
Russell wrote:
Homer wrote:
Russell wrote:

yikes. 

@NHLBlackhawks

Thank you for everything Cat, good luck in Ottawa

We got a Cat.  Sens traded for a Cat.  lol  

Is there room for another cat in the game threads?

Don't think I didn't notice this.

THAT'S A CAT! 

Alumni
Date:

Russell wrote:
Homer wrote:
Russell wrote:

yikes. 

@NHLBlackhawks

Thank you for everything Cat, good luck in Ottawa

We got a Cat.  Sens traded for a Cat.  lol  

Is there room for another cat in the game threads?

Confident Fan
Date:

tjlincoln wrote:
Russell wrote:
Homer wrote:
Russell wrote:

yikes. 

Unfortunately I probably answered my own concerns and they don’t have a contract anywhere in place and are going to play this by ear without a PLAN!! The same GM who was engineering that awful Buffalo deal did this deal. Gotta wait and see if a plan is in place

Confident Fan
Date:

Russell wrote:
Homer wrote:
Russell wrote:

yikes. 

no kidding, trading back to get off a stupid deal you stupidly did in the first place

Confident Fan
Date:

Russell wrote:
Homer wrote:
Russell wrote:

yikes. 

Alumni
Date:

Homer wrote:
Russell wrote:

yikes. 

Alumni
Date:

Russell wrote:

yikes. 

Alumni
Date:

yikes. 

Page 1 of 1  sorted by
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.