RE: NHL Draft

MTL going with a...bold choice.

Alumni
Date:

Homer wrote:
Cathy wrote:
Homer wrote:
Homer wrote:

Yeah, cost of laptop aside, aren't they concerned about security of having a managed laptop for employees with encrypted drives, etc... I mean it's not year 2003 anymore.  The potential for damage to the company is greater than the cost of a properly configured laptop.   

Segway.... Listening to an audiobook by Dan Brown of Da Vinci Code fame. 

Digital Fortress, a techno thriller.  It's from 1998, so not only dated, but oh boy there are so many technical fallacies. 

- NSA crypto/cracking team.  No one locks their computers at work, they just dim the monitor. When they do lock it, it's with a special app, it's a 5 character password. 

- Plan to change an encryption app with a backdoor then switch it with the copy that's on the Internet. 

- Things go bad and the country's most important data is at risk, so they don't have any backups and everything is stored in one place.

Sooo many facepalms.

Eh, that last one doesn't seem like much of a stretch with how many companies pay ransoms instead of restoring from backups.

yeah but this was a central storage of the country's most important data like NSA, FBI, DEA, DOE, military, etc.. all in a single bunker with no redundancy and no backups.  Some people were ringing alarm bells that there's a big problem, we've been compromised. Others are like, Nope it's not possible, this is the most secure place in the country your logs are wrong. 

It's almost comical that's it's so bad.  Oh and in Dan Brown fashion, although not the main character, there's a university type professor who gets thrust into a secret agent dangerous types situations.  I think Dan Brown always wanted to be a spy or something. lol

Okay, yeah, that's pretty bad. Though I shudder to think how bad things actually were in the 80s/90s. He absolutely wanted to be James Bond.

Alumni
Date:

"The team followed me a few minutes before the pick so I told my friend to record it."

Alumni
Date:

Cathy wrote:
Homer wrote:
Homer wrote:

Yeah, cost of laptop aside, aren't they concerned about security of having a managed laptop for employees with encrypted drives, etc... I mean it's not year 2003 anymore.  The potential for damage to the company is greater than the cost of a properly configured laptop.   

Digital Fortress, a techno thriller.  It's from 1998, so not only dated, but oh boy there are so many technical fallacies. 

- NSA crypto/cracking team.  No one locks their computers at work, they just dim the monitor. When they do lock it, it's with a special app, it's a 5 character password. 

- Plan to change an encryption app with a backdoor then switch it with the copy that's on the Internet. 

- Things go bad and the country's most important data is at risk, so they don't have any backups and everything is stored in one place.

Sooo many facepalms.

Eh, that last one doesn't seem like much of a stretch with how many companies pay ransoms instead of restoring from backups.

yeah but this was a central storage of the country's most important data like NSA, FBI, DEA, DOE, military, etc.. all in a single bunker with no redundancy and no backups.  Some people were ringing alarm bells that there's a big problem, we've been compromised. Others are like, Nope it's not possible, this is the most secure place in the country your logs are wrong. 

It's almost comical that's it's so bad.  Oh and in Dan Brown fashion, although not the main character, there's a university type professor who gets thrust into a secret agent dangerous types situations.  I think Dan Brown always wanted to be a spy or something. lol

Alumni
Date:

Homer wrote:
Homer wrote:

Sooo many facepalms.

Alumni
Date:

SensKat wrote:
Cathy wrote:
SensKat wrote:
Cathy wrote:

Wow! Weren't you only, technically, short by ~3 positions?

oh no.... 3 positions were the number that *I* was covering.

Lol, I thought that was the same number. SensKat plays whack-a-mole with unassigned tasks!

This sounds fantastic, I hope they can start getting those positions filled soon!

I  hope so.  It's hopeful, anyway.  Makes me believe that someone is finally listening.

With you covering as much as you were I *have* to think they had a moment of panic when they realized what there were losing. K/Cathy's work ethics are not to be taken lightly.

Alumni
Date:

Homer wrote:
SensKat wrote:
Homer wrote:
SensKat wrote:
Cathy wrote:
SensKat wrote:

I have no idea what to say about this one

Segue...hey Kat, what's the job status? Been thinking about the Employment Trials of SensKat.

Another week off, then back to the original job.  Weird to think that I've been off for a month already!

So too many red flags at the other place? One of the weird ones for me was "We're not getting you a laptop, you'll have to provide your own."

Yeah, that was a particularly huge one for me too.

And I was talking to my manager yesterday... apparently my team has been approved to hire for 6 additional positions.  So that is a huge potential amount of relief of strain on existing resources.

Sooo many facepalms.

Jedi Master
Date:

Cathy wrote:
SensKat wrote:
Cathy wrote:
SensKat wrote:
Homer wrote:
SensKat wrote:
Cathy wrote:
SensKat wrote:

Segue...hey Kat, what's the job status? Been thinking about the Employment Trials of SensKat.

Another week off, then back to the original job.  Weird to think that I've been off for a month already!

So too many red flags at the other place? One of the weird ones for me was "We're not getting you a laptop, you'll have to provide your own."

And I was talking to my manager yesterday... apparently my team has been approved to hire for 6 additional positions.  So that is a huge potential amount of relief of strain on existing resources.

Lol, I thought that was the same number. SensKat plays whack-a-mole with unassigned tasks!

This sounds fantastic, I hope they can start getting those positions filled soon!

I  hope so.  It's hopeful, anyway.  Makes me believe that someone is finally listening.

Alumni
Date:

Swedish delay, entertainment worth the price of admission.

Jedi Master
Date:

Homer wrote:
SensKat wrote:
Homer wrote:
SensKat wrote:
Cathy wrote:
SensKat wrote:

ESPECIALLY given the kind of data that I work with.  I wasn't getting a lot of warm fuzzies.

Alumni
Date:

SensKat wrote:
Cathy wrote:
SensKat wrote:
Homer wrote:
SensKat wrote:
Cathy wrote:
SensKat wrote:

Alumni
Date:

SensKat wrote:
Homer wrote:
SensKat wrote:
Cathy wrote:
SensKat wrote:

Alumni
Date:

"yeah, no..." dab

Jedi Master
Date:

Cathy wrote:
SensKat wrote:
Homer wrote:
SensKat wrote:
Cathy wrote:
SensKat wrote:

Alumni
Date:

Homer wrote:
Cathy wrote:
Homer wrote:
Homer wrote:

Cathy, do you feel old when these kids are getting drafted who's dads you remember playing have been retired for a number of years?

You missed this milestone of feeling old. 

Huh, I missed a small chunk of posts around that. And why did you choose to call *me* out in that question? I definitely don't think I'm the oldest here!

you were active in the thread at the time. 

evileye I guess I'm gonna have to trust you on that.

At least I have some time before seeing a drafted son of a father I saw drafted!

Alumni
Date:

Cathy wrote:
Homer wrote:
Homer wrote:

Cathy, do you feel old when these kids are getting drafted who's dads you remember playing have been retired for a number of years?

Huh, I missed a small chunk of posts around that. And why did you choose to call *me* out in that question? I definitely don't think I'm the oldest here!

you were active in the thread at the time. 

Alumni
Date:

Oh, another segue, boss is totally cool with me relocating. (He literally said I'm not allowed to leave the company so I can go wherever there's solid internet.)

And, my rent is now 25% higher than when I renewed 3.5 months ago.

So, yeah, good chance I'll be in a different latitude for the next draft.

Alumni
Date:

SensKat wrote:
Homer wrote:
SensKat wrote:
Cathy wrote:
SensKat wrote:

Alumni
Date:

Homer wrote:
Homer wrote:

Jedi Master
Date:

Homer wrote:
SensKat wrote:
Cathy wrote:
SensKat wrote:

«First  <  1 2 3 4 5  >  Last»  | Page of 5  sorted by
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.