D-man, screened

Alumni
Date:

SensKat wrote:

Habs take back the lead.

that looked screened.

Pie Connoisseur
Date:

Sent a Facebook message Saturday to an old work buddy in Prichard, BC to see how they're doing with the fires out there. Still haven't received a reply.

Alumni
Date:

senior wrote:
Homer wrote:

A couple players list their lids.

I'm so close to a Bingo.

twss

Jedi Master
Date:

Habs take back the lead.

Alumni
Date:

Cathy wrote:

And not a London Bobby in earshot. the refs have literally put the whistles away.

they could literally just leave the ice now and it wouldn't matter.

Alumni
Date:

senior wrote:
Homer wrote:

I'm so close to a Bingo.

I am so far from a bingo.

Alumni
Date:

Not overlapping is the bingo sense, but definitely doubling up in the penalty box!

Pie Connoisseur
Date:

Homer wrote:

I'm so close to a Bingo.

Jedi Master
Date:

Homer wrote:
SensKat wrote:
Homer wrote:
SensKat wrote:

ok, question to the masses (all 4 of you). Would I be a crazy person if I decided that the red flags from the new company are spooking me too much and go back to the old job for awhile?

Oh that's rough. Had a co-worker who left, then came back about a month later. He was part of the Montreal group and had worked together on the same client, but were on different clients when he left/came back. What job was presented as being and what it was, was different. Didn't go into too many details. 

It's a tough call, right?  I haven't even started the new job yet, but I'm already getting some signals that all may not be right.  

I was thinking about telling the old place I want to take the rest of the month off, and start back in August.  

I've been with the same company since 2004, so somewhat of a comfort level there. Worked on 6 different client/projects in that time.  There's an agreement between my company and clients that they won't poach us and on our side a cool off period before we can take a job with a client.  It has happened where some quit and went to work with the client right away. Company wasn't happy about it, but didn't do anything to maintain relationship with client. But that definitely burns a bridge. 

On one of the clients I was supporting, a couple of my colleagues on the client side came and sat at secure terminals near me and were having a "conversation between them" that they need their company is a great place to work at, pay is great, etc...

It definitely felt targeted at me as "hey you should apply and join us".   I didn't bite, I don't want to burn a bridge.

Is everything perfect at my company, no of course not, no place is.  But I get a decent salary, benefits, 5 weeks vacation.  The vacation time is hard to match.  Most places would be 3 weeks and "maybe" an option to buy a week.  I hope to retire in the next 10 years, so starting a new somewhere would be a big decision. If I get laid off, I would get a nice severance package. Once I'm done at the current client, I just hope I don't go back to work for my previous manager. There's only so much micro-management I can take after to many years in the business.  My current manager is great, hands off and just lets is do our work.  

There are so many factors.... 2 years ago I thought that I would stay at this place until retirement (under 15 years to early retirement if all goes according to plan!).  The pay is reasonable, the benefits are good, only 4 weeks vacation, but I can live with that if I have to.  

It's just been in the last 18-24 months that things got completely out of control.  My team went from 87% engaged last year, to 50% engaged this year because of mis-management.  My direct manager was great - but Director and up were causing some real problems.

The other thing that someone suggested to me when I told them I was leaving was "why didn't you just get another job within the company?"

And THAT is an option that I feel like maybe I should have thought of.  lol

Alumni
Date:

Homer wrote:

On eBay?

Alumni
Date:

And not a London Bobby in earshot. the refs have literally put the whistles away.

Alumni
Date:

Pie Connoisseur
Date:

Cathy wrote:
senior wrote:
Cathy wrote:
senior wrote:

Last period of hockey this year.

No, I'm pretty sure we're gonna have hockey again in, like, 12 weeks.

In Canada, the year ends with the last game of the Stanley Cup. New year begins with the start of the new season.

Lol, it was a good 5-6 years past grad school before I stopped thinking of the year as Aug - Jun and started thinking of it as Jan - Dec.

Or in the government, April 1 was the beginning of the new year. Fiscal year anyways.

Alumni
Date:

senior wrote:
Cathy wrote:
senior wrote:

In Canada, the year ends with the last game of the Stanley Cup. New year begins with the start of the new season.

Lol, it was a good 5-6 years past grad school before I stopped thinking of the year as Aug - Jun and started thinking of it as Jan - Dec.

Alumni
Date:

senior wrote:
senior wrote:
Russell wrote:
senior wrote:
Cathy wrote:

Senior, did you have pie? You seem extra feisty tonight.

No. Ice cream pie. Had my second Covid shot Saturday afternoon. The bus ran over me later that evening. After a day of intensive care on the couch, just happy to feel like a human being again.

FAT BASTARD!

I was wondering where you were.

And I had St. Hubert's for lunch. So.

Grosse batard!

Alumni
Date:

SensKat wrote:
Homer wrote:
SensKat wrote:

ok, question to the masses (all 4 of you). Would I be a crazy person if I decided that the red flags from the new company are spooking me too much and go back to the old job for awhile?

Oh that's rough. Had a co-worker who left, then came back about a month later. He was part of the Montreal group and had worked together on the same client, but were on different clients when he left/came back. What job was presented as being and what it was, was different. Didn't go into too many details. 

It's a tough call, right?  I haven't even started the new job yet, but I'm already getting some signals that all may not be right.  

I was thinking about telling the old place I want to take the rest of the month off, and start back in August.  

I've been with the same company since 2004, so somewhat of a comfort level there. Worked on 6 different client/projects in that time.  There's an agreement between my company and clients that they won't poach us and on our side a cool off period before we can take a job with a client.  It has happened where some quit and went to work with the client right away. Company wasn't happy about it, but didn't do anything to maintain relationship with client. But that definitely burns a bridge. 

On one of the clients I was supporting, a couple of my colleagues on the client side came and sat at secure terminals near me and were having a "conversation between them" that they need their company is a great place to work at, pay is great, etc...

It definitely felt targeted at me as "hey you should apply and join us".   I didn't bite, I don't want to burn a bridge.

Is everything perfect at my company, no of course not, no place is.  But I get a decent salary, benefits, 5 weeks vacation.  The vacation time is hard to match.  Most places would be 3 weeks and "maybe" an option to buy a week.  I hope to retire in the next 10 years, so starting a new somewhere would be a big decision. If I get laid off, I would get a nice severance package. Once I'm done at the current client, I just hope I don't go back to work for my previous manager. There's only so much micro-management I can take after to many years in the business.  My current manager is great, hands off and just lets is do our work.  

Pie Connoisseur
Date:

Cathy wrote:
senior wrote:

Alumni
Date:

senior wrote:

Jedi Master
Date:

Russell wrote:

Hey Kat,

I'll be playing a festival in your neck of the woods in August. 

http://www.voodoorockfest.com/

cool!  I'll keep an eye out for tickets going on sale.

«First  <  1 2 3 4 5 610  >  Last»  | Page of 10  sorted by
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.