Remember Me  

Topic: Panthers - Lightning Thread

Post Info
Alumni
Date:
RE: Panthers - Lightning Thread

SensKat wrote:
Homer wrote:

Tampa player going a "chicken wing" gesture at a Panthers player as he's going off the ice at the end of the 2nd..  Is that considered funny? 

I'll buy it.  And I won't even make you go find a gif for me. 

https://twitter.com/HeresYourReplay/status/1394832269370667016

Alumni
Date:

Homer wrote:

Tampa player going a "chicken wing" gesture at a Panthers player as he's going off the ice at the end of the 2nd..  Is that considered funny? 

I hate Maroon, he's a dumb thug who lucked into back-to-back cups. I find it more annoying than funny, but if it were someone else...maybe. Andy set the bar pretty high on that square.

Jedi Master
Date:

Cathy wrote:
SensKat wrote:
Cathy wrote:
SensKat wrote:
Cathy wrote:

{googles pictures of Kat's little city}

Huh, that looks like prison...

{googles Kat's little city + "prison"}

Oh, that's why it looks like a prison.

lol.... which one?  We have a few

That's, um, interesting...

This is the picture I found.

Kingston Pen.  That one is actually closed now, but they do tours.  It's a pretty cool historic site.

I believe with that one shut down, and the Prison for Women shut down, we are down to 6 still open....

It looks like really cool place...to visit.

Was Kingston founded as a penal colony or something?? Or just a convenient place to put prisons?

It just kinda.... happened, I think.

Kingston was Canada's first capital, and location-wise it is well situation between a lot of the major centres, so in the early days it kinda made sense to put a few of them here.  

Jedi Master
Date:

Homer wrote:

I'll buy it.  And I won't even make you go find a gif for me. 

Alumni
Date:

SensKat wrote:
Cathy wrote:
SensKat wrote:
Cathy wrote:

Kingston Pen.  That one is actually closed now, but they do tours.  It's a pretty cool historic site.

I believe with that one shut down, and the Prison for Women shut down, we are down to 6 still open....

It looks like really cool place...to visit.

Was Kingston founded as a penal colony or something?? Or just a convenient place to put prisons?

Alumni
Date:

Alumni
Date:

Cathy wrote:
Homer wrote:
Cathy wrote:
Homer wrote:
Cathy wrote:
SensKat wrote:

Have to wonder how often it happens that someone goes into work one day and says "You know what we should do? Switch to AWS. I saw their logo on the ice in a playoff game last night"

You joke, but I have a friend whose (former) employer pretty much did that. "Move everything to cloud!" Literally everything, no on-prem data center.

with no plans on upgrading bandwidth and provider redundancy

Bingo! (wait, no, you know what I meant)

Part of my job is doing telecom audits for clients, current audit I literally said to the client service manager, "Their lack of diversity is terrifying." (It's a financial services company)

**And** they're rolling their own data center, in a building equidistant between an airport and a train station. So there's only one provider and they charge $$$$$$$$, because they can.

Current client is a critical Canadian client.  We build a whole new resilient environment. Still several apps to migrate over. 

DataCenter in Ontario, Quebec and BC.  Apps/Servers can move freely between ON and QC sites. One can go completely offline and everything will still work. BC site is if there's a catastrophic failure at Ontario and Quebec sites. 

I would like to know how the CIO convinced the CFO the cost was worth it. Like, I literally want their script to add to my work files. 

Let's say money is not an issue due to criticality.  Supposed to be done at the end of the year, but still lots of work to do. They have a clause that a consultant can only have a 3 year contract or else they have to hire full time. I'm not a direct consultant to them, but my they're a client to my company. 

I like it there and would like to see it finished and frankly they can't lose resources like the 3 on my team with 3 years experience building the environment from the ground up. There are others on other teams as well. We're started working with the group that support the legacy environment a few months and they're like "Oh man, there's a lot here" They don't want to see us go".

We'll see what happens. 

Jedi Master
Date:

Cathy wrote:
SensKat wrote:
Cathy wrote:

Jedi Master
Date:

Cathy wrote:
SensKat wrote:
ooooh, you guys will love this story.

So about 4 weeks ago, one of my processes that does a loop of API calls suddenly went from taking <1 second per call to >30 seconds per call.  Fun!

We've spent uncountable hours with myself, server team, network team, the F5 guys, the Fortigate guys, the switch team, and the team that manages the web/app server config on calls, group chats, etc trying to track down what the hell had changed.  I can only imagine the cost to the company in salaries for the number of hours we spent.

Finally..... 4 weeks to the day after we had been going around in circles on this thing trying to trace the end-to-end network path of this thing, webserver guy says "I wonder what would happen if we took the proxy server out of the config"

Literal dead silence on the call.  Finally someone says "proxy server?  You mean the proxy server that was at the data centre that got shut down last month?"

I'm now, but I'd be if it were me in that position. I also run into a LOT of stuff like that doing audits, "Hey, you're paying for data services at 100 Main Street but I don't see that location on your office list." "Oh, we closed that office 18 months ago."

So.  Frustrating.

Hours.  and Hours.  trace files reviewed "we can see the traffic leaving the server, and the response coming back, but there is a gap here, and can't figure out what it's doing during that time"

Not once during all of those hours did it occur to him to say "oh, we are using a proxy server, fyi"

Alumni
Date:

SensKat wrote:

So about 4 weeks ago, one of my processes that does a loop of API calls suddenly went from taking <1 second per call to >30 seconds per call.  Fun!

We've spent uncountable hours with myself, server team, network team, the F5 guys, the Fortigate guys, the switch team, and the team that manages the web/app server config on calls, group chats, etc trying to track down what the hell had changed.  I can only imagine the cost to the company in salaries for the number of hours we spent.

Finally..... 4 weeks to the day after we had been going around in circles on this thing trying to trace the end-to-end network path of this thing, webserver guy says "I wonder what would happen if we took the proxy server out of the config"

Literal dead silence on the call.  Finally someone says "proxy server?  You mean the proxy server that was at the data centre that got shut down last month?"

I'm now, but I'd be if it were me in that position. I also run into a LOT of stuff like that doing audits, "Hey, you're paying for data services at 100 Main Street but I don't see that location on your office list." "Oh, we closed that office 18 months ago."

Jedi Master
Date:

Homer wrote:
SensKat wrote:

Panthers are finally on the board.

not exactly a one-timer in the purest sense though right?

not quite.  NHL site lists it as a wrist shot.

Alumni
Date:

Homer wrote:
SensKat wrote:

Depends on how desperate we are for dabs. biggrin 

Jedi Master
Date:

Homer wrote:
Cathy wrote:
Homer wrote:
Cathy wrote:
SensKat wrote:

Have to wonder how often it happens that someone goes into work one day and says "You know what we should do? Switch to AWS. I saw their logo on the ice in a playoff game last night"

You joke, but I have a friend whose (former) employer pretty much did that. "Move everything to cloud!" Literally everything, no on-prem data center.

Part of my job is doing telecom audits for clients, current audit I literally said to the client service manager, "Their lack of diversity is terrifying." (It's a financial services company)

**And** they're rolling their own data center, in a building equidistant between an airport and a train station. So there's only one provider and they charge $$$$$$$$, because they can.

Current client is a critical Canadian client.  We build a whole new resilient environment. Still several apps to migrate over. 

DataCenter in Ontario, Quebec and BC.  Apps/Servers can move freely between ON and QC sites. One can go completely offline and everything will still work. BC site is if there's a catastrophic failure at Ontario and Quebec sites. 

Alumni
Date:

Homer wrote:
Cathy wrote:
Homer wrote:
Cathy wrote:
SensKat wrote:

I would like to know how the CIO convinced the CFO the cost was worth it. Like, I literally want their script to add to my work files. 

Alumni
Date:

SensKat wrote:

Alumni
Date:

Cathy wrote:

There's also an old fort used during the war of 1812. 

Alumni
Date:

SensKat wrote:
Cathy wrote:

Jedi Master
Date:

Alumni
Date:

Cathy wrote:
Homer wrote:
Cathy wrote:
SensKat wrote:

Jedi Master
Date:

Cathy wrote:
SensKat wrote:
Cathy wrote:

You guys still delaying #2 to 12-16 weeks or are you bringing that in any? (Saw a headline that you're getting 9m more doses)

depends which jab you got, I think.  High priority are starting to be moved up to get them sooner (Pfizer and Moderna).

Most of the country has put a hold on using AZ, so for those of us that had that one we aren't even sure right now if we can GET our second dose.

Oh that's right, we were talking about mix-and-max vax a couple games ago. Eek.

Honestly, I hate to say it, but if they decide not to continue AZ.... unless the data changes significantly, I might just stick with my 1 dose.  Worse side effects than the last time might have a higher risk of killing me than getting Covid now.

«First  <  1 2 3 4 5 616  >  Last»  | Page of 16  sorted by
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.