Alumni
Date:

Oh, home team outshoots in 2nd

Jedi Master
Date:

Bit of 4 on 4 here

Alumni
Date:

I have thorny on exactly one card...the same card that I just un-dabbed "LOL".

Jedi Master
Date:

Cathy wrote:
SensKat wrote:
Cathy wrote:
SensKat wrote:

Different work-related topic.... after the big announcement yesterday that we are losing a couple of big contracts, I had a meeting with my manager today. He starts out by saying "I just want you to know that I'm aware of how this affects you, and I wouldn't blame you if you decide to leave. If I was still a developer, I would be looking right now too"

Do you think he was trying to {wink, wink} "You should be looking" {nudge, nudge}?

Nah.  I'm the #1 performer in my department.  They even gave me a retention bonus in RSU's this year that don't vest for another couple of years yet.

I'm pretty tight with my manager, I think he just knows the same as I do that the way our department is trending is not the way for me to advance my career.... and I'm not ready to call it "good enough" yet.

That's cool, a manager who understands it's a transactional agreement and not a blind-loyalty commitment. 

Yeah.  This is literally the first time that I've actually been leaving a job because of the job, and not because my manager sucks.

Alumni
Date:

SensKat wrote:
Cathy wrote:
SensKat wrote:

Dammit... I don't even have the LOL square.

LOL

I have it on one of my blackout cards, but that's it.

ooooh.... instead of calling it an LOL, we could use the Thorny player square

You know what, that is actually more appropriate and I can fully get behind that! I say this without knowing if I have that square.

Alumni
Date:

SensKat wrote:
Cathy wrote:
SensKat wrote:

Different work-related topic.... after the big announcement yesterday that we are losing a couple of big contracts, I had a meeting with my manager today. He starts out by saying "I just want you to know that I'm aware of how this affects you, and I wouldn't blame you if you decide to leave. If I was still a developer, I would be looking right now too"

Do you think he was trying to {wink, wink} "You should be looking" {nudge, nudge}?

Nah.  I'm the #1 performer in my department.  They even gave me a retention bonus in RSU's this year that don't vest for another couple of years yet.

I'm pretty tight with my manager, I think he just knows the same as I do that the way our department is trending is not the way for me to advance my career.... and I'm not ready to call it "good enough" yet.

That's cool, a manager who understands it's a transactional agreement and not a blind-loyalty commitment. 

Jedi Master
Date:

Cathy wrote:
SensKat wrote:

LOL

ooooh.... instead of calling it an LOL, we could use the Thorny player square

Jedi Master
Date:

Cathy wrote:
SensKat wrote:

Alumni
Date:

SensKat wrote:

LOL

Alumni
Date:

SensKat wrote:
Cathy wrote:
SensKat wrote:
Cathy wrote:
Homer wrote:

Tampa player going a "chicken wing" gesture at a Panthers player as he's going off the ice at the end of the 2nd..  Is that considered funny? 

I hate Maroon, he's a dumb thug who lucked into back-to-back cups. I find it more annoying than funny, but if it were someone else...maybe. Andy set the bar pretty high on that square.

And then Chara.... they are definitely going to make others work hard for funny

Oh yeah, forgot about that since I didn't see it live. Based on those two, I'd said Maroon didn't make the cut. But since we're still beta testing...anything goes!

And it's been a very low-dab game.  Nights like these we tend to relax the rules a bit.  lol

I just don't like the man.

Jedi Master
Date:

Alumni
Date:

SensKat wrote:

Jedi Master
Date:

Cathy wrote:
SensKat wrote:
Cathy wrote:
Homer wrote:

Tampa player going a "chicken wing" gesture at a Panthers player as he's going off the ice at the end of the 2nd..  Is that considered funny? 

I hate Maroon, he's a dumb thug who lucked into back-to-back cups. I find it more annoying than funny, but if it were someone else...maybe. Andy set the bar pretty high on that square.

Oh yeah, forgot about that since I didn't see it live. Based on those two, I'd said Maroon didn't make the cut. But since we're still beta testing...anything goes!

And it's been a very low-dab game.  Nights like these we tend to relax the rules a bit.  lol

Alumni
Date:

My video feeds are freaking the eff out. NYI-PIT was running the background, switched to it during intermission, didn't notice it had rewound 90 minutes.

Jedi Master
Date:

Alumni
Date:

SensKat wrote:
Cathy wrote:
Homer wrote:

Alumni
Date:

Homer wrote:
Cathy wrote:
Homer wrote:
Cathy wrote:
Homer wrote:
Cathy wrote:
SensKat wrote:

Have to wonder how often it happens that someone goes into work one day and says "You know what we should do? Switch to AWS. I saw their logo on the ice in a playoff game last night"

You joke, but I have a friend whose (former) employer pretty much did that. "Move everything to cloud!" Literally everything, no on-prem data center.

with no plans on upgrading bandwidth and provider redundancy

Bingo! (wait, no, you know what I meant)

Part of my job is doing telecom audits for clients, current audit I literally said to the client service manager, "Their lack of diversity is terrifying." (It's a financial services company)

**And** they're rolling their own data center, in a building equidistant between an airport and a train station. So there's only one provider and they charge $$$$$$$$, because they can.

Current client is a critical Canadian client.  We build a whole new resilient environment. Still several apps to migrate over. 

DataCenter in Ontario, Quebec and BC.  Apps/Servers can move freely between ON and QC sites. One can go completely offline and everything will still work. BC site is if there's a catastrophic failure at Ontario and Quebec sites. 

I would like to know how the CIO convinced the CFO the cost was worth it. Like, I literally want their script to add to my work files. 

Let's say money is not an issue due to criticality.  Supposed to be done at the end of the year, but still lots of work to do. They have a clause that a consultant can only have a 3 year contract or else they have to hire full time. I'm not a direct consultant to them, but my they're a client to my company. 

I like it there and would like to see it finished and frankly they can't lose resources like the 3 on my team with 3 years experience building the environment from the ground up. There are others on other teams as well. We're started working with the group that support the legacy environment a few months and they're like "Oh man, there's a lot here" They don't want to see us go".

We'll see what happens. 

Note to self: Follow up with Homer in the fall for updates.

Jedi Master
Date:

Cathy wrote:
Homer wrote:

«First  <  1 2 3 4 516  >  Last»  | Page of 16  sorted by
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.