Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  

Topic: Trade Deadline talk

Post Info
Alumni
Date:
Trade Deadline talk

watching twitter, I'm amazed at how many people are willing to give up damn near anything to get Kane. How quickly they have forgotten how a bad apple can do what it does. If the jets want him gone, then why would you want their problem? I've had enough of those guys in Ottawa. 

-- Edited by Russell on Friday 6th of February 2015 09:23:25 PM

Confident Fan
Date:

Russell wrote:

the new info being released seems to indicate his teammates cant stand him. When you consider the poor judgement he's shown with his twitter posts, sometimes you just have to think a jerk is just a jerk. I'd stay away from this guy. he seems to have a lot of growing up to do.

-- Edited by Russell on Thursday 5th of February 2015 05:05:32 PM

I've gotta think if any team takes a chance on him in Canada it would be Vancouver his hometown.  He actually goes on the radio there during the offseason and he gets along well with the hosts who interview him.  He's very talented and Vancouver has not been able to get any of the stars who have grown up there.  (Kariya, Turris, Sakic, ScottNiedermeyer, etc. so they will probably be willing to take a chance on him)

Alumni
Date:

Kardinal wrote:

With what has come out this afternoon, it does indeed seem to be more problems that are teammate-to-teammate rather than management-player as was first thought.    Add to that an ongoing injury that has now got Kane placed on IR retroactive to their last game, and it's even MORE complicated than it was.

A $6M salary that doesn't get along with the rest of the team?      I'll pass.    Maybe TML will trade Kessel for him and then Byfuglien can play on the same "heavyweight" line. 

Alumni
Date:

With what has come out this afternoon, it does indeed seem to be more problems that are teammate-to-teammate rather than management-player as was first thought.    Add to that an ongoing injury that has now got Kane placed on IR retroactive to their last game, and it's even MORE complicated than it was.

A $6M salary that doesn't get along with the rest of the team?      I'll pass.    Maybe TML will trade Kessel for him and then Byfuglien can play on the same "heavyweight" line. 

Alumni
Date:

the new info being released seems to indicate his teammates cant stand him. When you consider the poor judgement he's shown with his twitter posts, sometimes you just have to think a jerk is just a jerk. I'd stay away from this guy. he seems to have a lot of growing up to do.

-- Edited by Russell on Thursday 5th of February 2015 05:05:32 PM

Alumni
Date:

There can be players that are unhappy where they are and need a fresh start (eg/ Turris), and then there are the ones who just have a fundamental problem doing anything but what they want (eg/ Emery).     Kane has a big salary and seems to have some problems with the fact that the word team doesn't have the letter "I" in it.

Could this change with a change of scenery?   Could the problem be being in Winnipeg, like being in Phoenix and the role he was given was the problem for Turris?    Perhaps.

I'm not advocating for Kane, but I'm not shutting the door on the possibility of trading for him if the price wasn't too high and there was some measure of hope that the player could alter their current path of Emery-like descent from grace with fans and team management/ownership.

Alumni
Date:

Sounds like Kane needs a fresh start elsewhere, but I get a bit of a deja-vu feeling going back to Ray Emery.

Do we really need a player with the attitude "I'll do what I want, when I want and I don't care what you think about it"?

It's more that just what players/picks you are willing to give up for him.  You also have to consider if he will be disruptive to the team chemistry.  Just like Emery, I'm sure that there's a lot more to the Kane/Jets relationship that don't know.

We have a young team that needs a good locker room environment to mature together.  Bringing in Kane could disrupt that. Attitude wise, he's the polar opposite of Lazar.  He is still only 23, and maybe a new city will make a difference. I'm just not sure if we should take that risk.

Alumni
Date:

kane certainly has talent but has also shown himself to be a bit of a jerk, at times. I'm sure the jets wouldn't trade him just because of a track suit so yes, you know there's more to this. I'd be veeeeerrrryyyyyy careful about this guy.

Alumni
Date:

The talk is that the price for Evander Kane could be as low as a good prospect.    Given that we only know about some of the baggage that *must* be going on for him to be scratched for wearing a track suit to a team meeting (there has to be more to it than that!):

1) any Sens fans interested?

2) what price would you pay? 

The cap hit is $5.25M (actual salary is $6M), with another three seasons after this one left on the contract (UFA at the end of it).

I'd offer Weircioch + Prince to the Jets, but I'd also like to know a bit more of what's happened behind the scenes before I make the offer. 

-- Edited by Kardinal on Thursday 5th of February 2015 11:53:06 AM

Alumni
Date:

i wonder how the stats nerds are going to rationalize the fact that several cup contenders are interested in Neil. After all, he has nothing to offer, right? i mean, their spreadsheets say so!

Pan
Alumni
Date:

Looking at how management is viewing JGP - does he offer more than Condra? Yes. Is he cheaper and younger? Yes. Are they using him in marketing to attract western Quebec fans as he's local? Yes.

He's fine on PK, can play the wing (if you keep Zach Smith or Legwand as 4C) can score in about 4 or 5 games a year (depending on how often we play Montreal). Plus all the guys that Kards mentioned that have a chance to make a team. I have a feeling that they'll walk away or trade Condra at the deadline and look to replace his role with JGP. I'd personLly prefer to keep Condra, but that may be the roster position and role that the team is considering for JGP. Anything more is unrealistic.

Alumni
Date:

I think JGP has more raw talent than Conacher, but it's rare that a small player has long term staying power in the NHL on anything but a bottom-feeder team.  Martin St Louis is the exception to the rule, not the rule.

Alumni
Date:

Sounds like that Conacher guy.

Alumni
Date:

Kardinal wrote:
tjlincoln wrote:

I'm curious why don't u think JGP is any long range plans?  why do u think he won't improve?  I don't have enough experience in watching hockey like the rest of you to really know myself.  I agree with everything else

JGP plays with a lot of heart and determination, but his size (officially listed as 5'9" but that's generous) is a hamper to the style of play he brings to the ice.   You can teach skills, but you can't teach size, and he's not big enough to be more than a 4th line C who also kills penalties.   I think next year the 4Cs will be Turris-Zibby-Smith-Lazar (the last one should be there full time)

I've been watching him since he was playing for the Olympiques, and I like his game, but he's not going to be the answer to the Senators needs long term (at least not the ones who play in Ottawa).   He's got 9 NHL goals in 63GP (regular season and playoffs), three of which came in one game and gave him a chant and fan devotion, but I simply don't see him being a key piece in the future.   A decent injury fill in for now?   Sure, but that's it.

have to agree. lots of heart but just too small to be effective long term.

Alumni
Date:

tjlincoln wrote:

I'm curious why don't u think JGP is any long range plans?  why do u think he won't improve?  I don't have enough experience in watching hockey like the rest of you to really know myself.  I agree with everything else

JGP plays with a lot of heart and determination, but his size (officially listed as 5'9" but that's generous) is a hamper to the style of play he brings to the ice.   You can teach skills, but you can't teach size, and he's not big enough to be more than a 4th line C who also kills penalties.   I think next year the 4Cs will be Turris-Zibby-Smith-Lazar (the last one should be there full time)

I've been watching him since he was playing for the Olympiques, and I like his game, but he's not going to be the answer to the Senators needs long term (at least not the ones who play in Ottawa).   He's got 9 NHL goals in 63GP (regular season and playoffs), three of which came in one game and gave him a chant and fan devotion, but I simply don't see him being a key piece in the future.   A decent injury fill in for now?   Sure, but that's it.

Confident Fan
Date:

Kardinal wrote:

There are a lot of moving parts to consider for next season:

1) blueline changes in/out with Methot needing a contract, Wideman/Claesson looking good in Bingo, and already having 7 D signed for next season

2) Prince/Puempel being in a similar position to Hoffman/Stone (ie/ could be ready to make the jump)

3) JGP isn't in my long term plans for the team

4) I want to see Condra re-signed

5) Greening moving on at some point (other NHL team, Bingo, whatever)

Trade deadline possibilities:  Greening, Legwand, 9MM (he's started to score lately, he's skating well, good leader/veteran, kills penalties), Gryba, Weircioch, JGP, and I do honestly believe that Lehner could be play too.

-- Edited by tjlincoln on Monday 26th of January 2015 08:47:20 PM

Confident Fan
Date:

Kardinal wrote:

Mike Richards has been waived by the LA Kings.     He turns 30 in February, has 5 seasons left on his contract (declining salary from $6M to $3M but cap hit is $5.75M.   He's put a lot of heavy miles on his body due to his style of play, and since the team couldn't engineer a trade he's being waived and will be sent to the AHL if he is not claimed.

Anyone interested?  I'm not, as he's a declining asset that a team fighting for a wildcard doesn't want and he's got a lot of salary baggage ($6M, $5.5M, $4.5M, $3M, $3M) after this season.

he helped the Kings to TWO Cups and this is the thanks he gets  IMO no one is picking up that salary for a real declining player.

Alumni
Date:

Mike Richards has been waived by the LA Kings.     He turns 30 in February, has 5 seasons left on his contract (declining salary from $6M to $3M but cap hit is $5.75M.   He's put a lot of heavy miles on his body due to his style of play, and since the team couldn't engineer a trade he's being waived and will be sent to the AHL if he is not claimed.

Anyone interested?  I'm not, as he's a declining asset that a team fighting for a wildcard doesn't want and he's got a lot of salary baggage ($6M, $5.5M, $4.5M, $3M, $3M) after this season.

Alumni
Date:

There are a lot of moving parts to consider for next season:

1) blueline changes in/out with Methot needing a contract, Wideman/Claesson looking good in Bingo, and already having 7 D signed for next season

2) Prince/Puempel being in a similar position to Hoffman/Stone (ie/ could be ready to make the jump)

3) JGP isn't in my long term plans for the team

4) I want to see Condra re-signed

5) Greening moving on at some point (other NHL team, Bingo, whatever)

Trade deadline possibilities:  Greening, Legwand, 9MM (he's started to score lately, he's skating well, good leader/veteran, kills penalties), Gryba, Weircioch, JGP, and I do honestly believe that Lehner could be play too.

Alumni
Date:

Re: Phillips and Neil. Both have value to keep around for the young guys. I think they only get moved if and only if they request to be moved.

I think about mid-February we'll see some movement on the Methot contract talks. Valentine's Dsy would be his 15th game back and chances are that'll be an indicator on how his injury is doing. If things are looking good I would say that Wiercioch is dealt fairly shortly after.

Boro is at least another week away and Smith is probably at least a month out still. So with Greening expected to be waived post ASG, then they won't have to make another roster move for Z. Smith comes back. Even then I expect JGP to be sent down for that.

«First  <  1 2 3  >  Last»  | Page of 3  sorted by
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.