Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  

Topic: Main training camp opens

Post Info
Alumni
Date:
RE: Main training camp opens

Right after the announcements about Ryan signing an extension and EK65 being the new captain, here are the line combos from this morning's practice:

MacArthur-Turris-Stone

Michalek-Legwand-Neil

Ryan-Zibanejad-Chiasson

Hoffman-Smith-Robinson

Greening-Lazar-Puempel

Ryan with Zibanejad is an interesting thought.

News on the Methot situation: sides are talking again, and new offer made by team to player & agent.

Alumni
Date:

Shawn Simpson is perfectly welcome to STHU, as he's more interested in constantly hearing the sound of his own voice than having any sort of meaningful take or insight.

At practice today:

First PP: Legwand, MacArthur, Stone, Karlsson/Turris
Second PP: Michalek, Ryan, Neil, Ceci/Zibanejad

Wiercioch, Cowen, Phillips also involved in PP drills.  Methot skated before the practice.

....and Senators fans on Twitter explode in panic over Ryan being 2PP in three, two, one......

Confident Fan
Date:

After Karlsson/Methot, Ceci is easily #3. Wide open after that. Cowen is still struggling. Flat footed and beat in all situations. #ThinLine

I don't like the sound of this at all about Cowen

-- Edited by tjlincoln on Tuesday 30th of September 2014 10:37:26 PM

Alumni
Date:

Boro took a shot off the hand/thumb/finger during the game day skate and won't be playing.   Cowen is in.

......and it's pre-season, so it's time for the team to get as many looks at who-will-be-the-first-call-up-from-Bingo guys while they can.

Jedi Master
Date:

Gee, that seems like a lineup I should rush home from work for.... :|

Alumni
Date:

For the Winnipeg game, it seems like:

- no Methot (injury)

- no Condra (injury)

- no MacArthur

- no Turris

- no Ryan

- no Cowen

- no Karlsson

- no Michalek

- no Legwand

Projected lines from the morning skate:

Puempel - Zibanejad - Chiasson
Dziurzynski - Pageau - Neil
Hoffman - Smith - Stone
Greening - Lazar - Robinson

Wiercioch - Ceci
Claesson - Borowiecki
Johnson - Grant

Lehner / Anderson

Confident Fan
Date:

Kardinal

I like the way u are thinking about getting Carolina's first round pick--but I'd bet a billion of EddieBelfour's dollars that no way Carolina would trade this years No. 1 pick with McDavid and others waiting there for them to pick since they are going to suck. But they will still win the seasons series vs. Ottawa.

Great point about GMBM will NOW sign Methot since he's hurt

Alumni
Date:

Disappointing news on 9MM and Methot. Hope it's not the nagging same old same old

Alumni
Date:

5 players not at the 'big team' practice:  9MM, Condra, JGP, Methot, Gryba

Depending on how serious their injuries are, it will be interesting to see who is kept from going to France for Bingo's pre-season games there. 

The talk is that Methot has either a hip injury or it's a reoccurrance of his back problems from last year.   Oh boy, a star and fan favorite / whipping boy with a back problem.   That doesn't sound familiar at all.  

(sarcasm)

The team should sign him right away, long term, for $5M+.

(/sarcasm)

Alumni
Date:

Condra is the UFA at the end of this season that *nobody* is talking about being a 'must re-sign this guy' player.   Greening is in the first year of a three year deal, so GMBM would have to find a trade for him.

JGP + Gryba to Carolina for their 2015 1st.   The Hurricanes need D help and need a C to replace Jordan Staal for the next few months.   They can also squeeze these two players in and still be under the cap.    CAR is a team that spends a lot of money on some not-very-good players.

Pan
Alumni
Date:

The 3rd line of last year is a great 4th line. I'm done with Greening and the big money is coming up...honestly he would be a buy out option on any other team.

Can't have too many young guys, but we need some and need to give up some quantity for quality.

Alumni
Date:

Condra and greening can go away. They are dead weight. neil still is an affective forechecker and fighter. Smith, I'll give him one more year but he better show something soon or he'll be pushed out. 

Confident Fan
Date:

Smith, Neil, Greening, and Condra--just what do they contribute to winning hockey games at this point in any of their careers?

Neil was a great soldier at one time, all I ever see from Smith is that dumbfounded look on his face as he's on the ice as the other team scores again.  Greening is big and fit yet he's invisible most of the time on the ice.  Condra misses about 1 or 2 sure fire goal scoring opportunities every week.   My point is why not bring in Stone, Puempel, Lazar, Hoffman, Prince, Pageau and even Dzingel to see if they can play better than those 4 guys.  They keep saying on the podcasts who are they going to let go or whatever to make room for the young prospects well there are 4 in my opinion.  I'm often wrong on these things since I didn't grow up watching and playing hockey but someone tell me what any of those 4 did to actually win games last season.  I know they play shutdown roles and PK and fight but do they win games.  Why can't the new guys that Melnyk is so high on do those same things better and cheaper?

Alumni
Date:

From the Paularus' comments yesterday about wanting to have the camp down to 6 lines and 10 D, I'm thinking we're going to see a lot of cuts today or tomorrow.   It'll be interesting to see who is still standing.  My guess:

MacArthur-Turris-Ryan

Michalek-Zibanejad-Chiasson

Hoffman-Legwand-Stone

Greening-Smith-Neil

Puempel-Pageau-Condra

Dzingel-Lazar-Prince

Methot - Karlsson

Cowen - Ceci

Wiercioch - Gryba

Phillips - Borowiecki

Claesson - Wideman

Johnson - Mullen

Alumni
Date:

The Senators have reduced their training camp roster by three:

Ben Harpur: returning to the Guelph Storm of the OHL

Nicholas Paul: returning to the North Bay Battalion of the OHL

Matt Murphy: returning to the Halifax Mooseheads of the QMJHL

(my internal autocorrect changed the Battalion to the Centennials -- I must be channeling my inner Chris Neil)

Pan
Alumni
Date:

Kessel apparently.  He's all that matters anyways 

Alumni
Date:

It's medicals and testing day -- who's going to be the name that 'leaks' out as not being in shape/overweight/not ready to play?   Who's going to be a "beast"?

Pan
Alumni
Date:

They're not the only employer, but most companies support the government so they can't bring their customers to games either because the government employees can't accept gifts.  

Its td all a (bad) ploy to try to sell tickets.  Removing some boxes to get s different style of seating and be able to cbarge more for that differentiator makes sense and that's where they're going.  We will probably discuss this on the next show. 

Jedi Master
Date:

Kardinal wrote:

The new TV deal money is good, but that has nothing to do with business support of season ticket sales.   If businesses in a city can't use the tickets as incentives / thankyous to their customers, there isn't much incentive to have them other than a perk for employees, and that makes selling them much, much harder.

That is true, but it's hardly like the government is the only business in the city.  Maybe they need to be paying attention to how all of the other small-market Canadian teams are managing to sell theirs, instead of just blaming it being a 'government city' for the problem.

Alumni
Date:

The new TV deal money is good, but that has nothing to do with business support of season ticket sales.   If businesses in a city can't use the tickets as incentives / thankyous to their customers, there isn't much incentive to have them other than a perk for employees, and that makes selling them much, much harder.

On a lighter note, Sens players attempt goal announcements at the golf tournament today.  I think some inside jokes were made. ;)

1 2  >  Last»  | Page of 2  sorted by
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.