Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  

Topic: 2014 off-season signings / trades / etc

Post Info
Alumni
Date:
RE: 2014 off-season signings / trades / etc

I've never understood the concept of "Melnyk is cheap" simply because he's not spending to the hyper-inflated cap due to some large market teams. A hockey team, like any business, should be financially self-sufficient rather than propped up by outside money from the owner's pockets or poached from other related businesses. The building should be self-sufficient as well, and the revenue it generates should go into upkeep and improvements (another thing fans are calling for) rather than going into playing team costs.

If Melnyk doesn't want to dump his own money into the team every year, because it doesn't generate enough revenue to spend to the cap every season, he shouldn't have to. Of course, spending-spending-spending doesn't guarantee success either, but fans like to point at the "obvious fix" to a team's problems, but given some of the UFA signings that have happened yesterday and today, I'm glad it's a team that doesn't spend willy-nilly.

C3
Veteran
Date:

I think he is cheap.

Yes the Packers are a great example. I forgot that a couple of my cousins are diehards with shares in the cheese heads. I actually meant Real Madrid. Hope they don't send assassins to my bedside as I sleep.

Alumni
Date:

Do you mean a Green Bay Packers situation? ;)

I don't think Melnyk is the problem; Melnyk talking to the media is the problem. Let the team be run by the professionals who have been hired to do that, and let them speak for the team. I know he doesn't have his horses to talk about anymore, but he needs a separate hobby that he can talk to the media about.

C3
Veteran
Date:

We have nearly taken all the necessary steps to change the culture of this team. Uncle Euge is the only major stumbling block left. Who wants to create a kickstarter campaign to buy the Sens? Create an AC Milan situation in Kanata.

Alumni
Date:

I don't mind the Michalek signing as he fills the hole at 2nd line LW without forcing one of the kids into that role. The name of the game is keeping the youngsters either in Bingo or sheltered on the third line.

We don't want to be Edmonton and just keep throwing the kids out into the line of fire.

Pie Connoisseur
Date:

Don't understand signing Michalek. With Spezza and Hemsky gone why not give that spot to one of the young guys?

Confident Fan
Date:

ShanghaiSenator wrote:

So, the off-season game plan was to trade Spezza for almost nothing, let Hemsky walk, and re-sign Milan Michalek? I think I am going to be cheering for the Winnipeg Jets until further notice.

perfect plan if they want one of the top 2 picks next year

Pan
Alumni
Date:

labru wrote:

I saw Benoit is still available as a UFA, give it a shot for 2yrs @1,5M?

So you want 9 defencemen?

Alumni
Date:

I saw Benoit is still available as a UFA, give it a shot for 2yrs @1,5M?

Alumni
Date:

So, the off-season game plan was to trade Spezza for almost nothing, let Hemsky walk, and re-sign Milan Michalek? I think I am going to be cheering for the Winnipeg Jets until further notice.

Jedi Master
Date:

Murray says he is working on a deal to bring a player here....

Alumni
Date:

$4 million per

Not too bad. Better than Pouliot for 5 years.

Jedi Master
Date:

AAV of $4M. Ugh.

Jedi Master
Date:

Ottawa Senators ‏@Senators 50s
BREAKING: #Sens agree to teams with forward Milan Michalek on a three-year contract.

Oh goody, we're saved.

Alumni
Date:

Pouliot's problem is that he's inconsistent and lazy, kind of a cheaper version of Chris Stewart. He's big but not overly physical.

There's a reason he's bounced around the league so much on one year deals. I don't mind if Murray signs him, but it had better be a two year deal of about $2.5 million AAV.

Alumni
Date:

SensKat wrote:

The Pouliot thing is interesting - might be a decent signing if they can get him for a reasonable price.

Honestly, it probably won't happen, but if they aren't going to move Spezza, I would love to see them manage to use that to sweet-talk Hemsky into staying.  Since Michalek hasn't signed yet, take the money from his offer to bump up what they offered Hemmer, and see if he will stay to play with Spezza.

Reasonable price doesn't come around to often, but there still are some bozo GM's out there. Yost sees him as the next McArthur If so I'd be all for it.

I wouldn't mind seing another year of Spezza & Hemsky either. That could possibly save us from a debacle once Spezza can't be traded.

Jedi Master
Date:

The Pouliot thing is interesting - might be a decent signing if they can get him for a reasonable price.

Honestly, it probably won't happen, but if they aren't going to move Spezza, I would love to see them manage to use that to sweet-talk Hemsky into staying.  Since Michalek hasn't signed yet, take the money from his offer to bump up what they offered Hemmer, and see if he will stay to play with Spezza.

Jedi Master
Date:

Agent Orange wrote:
Murray Pam

‏@Pammerhockey

#Sens are cutting org. ties with Ben Blood, Corey Cowick, Tyler Eckford, Wacey Hamilton, Nathan Lawson and 2007 1st rd pick Jim O'Brien.

Nothing really surprising there.  Looks like they want to run with Hammond for next year.  Looks like Cowick's one year deal really was a put up or shut up one.

Ben Blood was still with the organization?  Wow... I actually thought they had cut him loose a couple of years ago.  Too bad about O'Brien, but he never really developed.

Confident Fan
Date:

Twitter is all abuzz about Pouliot signing with Sens, is he local?

Confident Fan
Date:

36 points in 80 games, with a +10 and 7 PP goals, and in the playoffs 25 games and 10 points with 5 G's and a +8. So Pouliot is responsible in his own end and looks to me like a 3rd line player. If u move him up to 2nd line does he score enough? Who the heck knows

«First  <  1 2 3 4 5 6 710  >  Last»  | Page of 10  sorted by
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.