Password 
    Remember Me  

Topic: Spezza

Post Info
Alumni
Date:
RE: Spezza

Pesky Jones wrote:

Can someone remind me what year of the 3 Year Rebuild we're in? Is it year 3 or year 4?

Spezza is confirming my suspicion of his market value: Last of all top 6 centres available for trade. It was always a fairy tale that of his selected 19 teams we'd have a prospect, a good player, and a top draft pick. It was never possible.

Now they're in a pickle with Free Agency coming and the budget. Time to get Butler back??

-- Edited by Pesky Jones on Tuesday 1st of July 2014 02:36:20 AM

This will become year 1 of the resuscitated rebuild I guess smile

If I could have my say I would prefer to drop the good player then. Go full for the future and go for the prospect and 2015 pick.

Regular
Date:

Can someone remind me what year of the 3 Year Rebuild we're in? Is it year 3 or year 4?

Spezza is confirming my suspicion of his market value: Last of all top 6 centres available for trade. It was always a fairy tale that of his selected 19 teams we'd have a prospect, a good player, and a top draft pick. It was never possible.

Now they're in a pickle with Free Agency coming and the budget. Time to get Butler back??

-- Edited by Pesky Jones on Tuesday 1st of July 2014 02:36:20 AM

Confident Fan
Date:

but if there's any year to suck this next draft seems to be the year to do it

Confident Fan
Date:

that defense for Ottawa is not good, not at all. I still say lottery at this point but we have July UFA time and trades to be made yet

Alumni
Date:

tjlincoln wrote:

Murray or Muckler when it comes to moving on from star Ottawa players neither is worth a crap--but one thing has been constant thru all these bad breakups. Melnyk
I beginning to think Buffalo and Ottawa are going to be battling for McDavid next year

If so it makes me even look forward to next year.

The problem is, that this team is just too good to finish last. The goalie numbers will regress almost definitely upward again. I'm not saying they would be a sure play off team, but they'll almost definitely be battling for a spot. Especially if Spezza can't be dealt; he's in a contract year so 60pts must be in it with him. If Turris' line can repeat... with Bobby Ryan healthy... I'll say a pick in the 12-17 range next year.

Alumni
Date:

Russell wrote:

Murray now trying to vilify Spezza to save face with the whole nashville thing. That's getting old.

Sens are starting to be like that friend you have that used to be really cool but now is a bit of a dink.

Good piece by Travis Yost on that: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Travis-Yost/On-Jason-Spezza-and-Player-Obligations/134/60983

Confident Fan
Date:

¡El Mullet de Bonk! ‏@BonksMullet
I'm not upset Murray didn't pull the trigger on a (weak) deal. I just don't think there's much to be gained from the Nashville announcement.

Sens Underground ‏@sensunderground
@BonksMullet we've seen this act before from Murray and Sens. its getting very old.

Murray or Muckler when it comes to moving on from star Ottawa players neither is worth a crap--but one thing has been constant thru all these bad breakups. Melnyk
I beginning to think Buffalo and Ottawa are going to be battling for McDavid next year

Alumni
Date:

Murray now trying to vilify Spezza to save face with the whole nashville thing. That's getting old.

Sens are starting to be like that friend you have that used to be really cool but now is a bit of a dink.

Confident Fan
Date:

Ken Campbell from the THN.

"There are probably only two people in the hockey world who were colossally disappointed with the return the Vancouver Canucks got for Ryan Kesler. One of them, we’ll call every single fan of the Vancouver Canucks. The other is Ottawa Senators GM Bryan Murray.
When you’re talking about trading Ryan Kesler, your thoughts turn to Duck prospects such as Nick Kerdiles, Sami Vatanen or Rickard Rakell and young players along the lines of Cam Fowler, Hampus Lindholm, Emerson Etem, and Devante Smith-Pelly. And when it comes to picks, what about the 10th overall selection the Ducks got from the Ottawa Senators for Bobby Ryan last year?
The simple answer is Anaheim GM Bob Murray knew he could get Kesler without parting with any of those assets, so he didn’t."

This is the leverage Brian Murray is now up against and it's not going to get better.

Confident Fan
Date:

"We have been pretty unanimous that we didn't really want Spezza gone, but can they have him at training camp? We need to move him now and that sucks."

Murray is proving that he's not stupid like the West coast of Canada is, if they have to keep him I say keep him.

Confident Fan
Date:

I mean the Heatley deal in not getting a fair return. Heatley was a 2 time 50 goal scorer and all Ottawa rec'd in return was Michalek and a bad contract in Cheechoo. At the time that was a truly unfair return especially the first season. It later worked out OK for Ottawa

Pan
Alumni
Date:

tjlincoln wrote:

AJ Jakubec ‏@AJonSports
Polled a few pro scouts on Jason Spezza's value. Didn't paint a pretty picture. I don't think the Sens will get the deal they want.

This sounds like the Heatley deal all over again--I say don't trade him now and make him play his butt off to get a big free agent contract.

This seems more like the Heatley deal, but in reverse.  I don't think that Spezza really forced an out like Heatley did, and the management really soured on Spezza for whatever reason. It's just that the rest of the league agrees on Spezza too...

We have been pretty unanimous that we didn't really want Spezza gone, but can they have him at training camp?  We need to move him now and that sucks. 

Confident Fan
Date:

AJ Jakubec ‏@AJonSports
Polled a few pro scouts on Jason Spezza's value. Didn't paint a pretty picture. I don't think the Sens will get the deal they want.

This sounds like the Heatley deal all over again--I say don't trade him now and make him play his butt off to get a big free agent contract.

Confident Fan
Date:

AJ Jakubec ‏@AJonSports
Bryan Murray sounded disappointed after not being able to complete a Jason Spezza deal. Said nobody came to them with a serious offer. #Sens

Travis Yost ‏@TravisHeHateMe
@AJonSports You know I'm not adverse to what Murray did (holding), but he realizes he's not one w/ leverage for a variety of reasons, yes?

AJ Jakubec ‏@AJonSports
@TravisHeHateMe I think so. That's why he keeps saying they won't win the deal. In the end, he really doesn't want to trade him.

Confident Fan
Date:

at least Murray isn't moronic like the Vancouver front office

-- Edited by tjlincoln on Friday 27th of June 2014 10:57:59 PM

Confident Fan
Date:

LOL!! just perfect

Jedi Master
Date:

Ian Mendes ‏@ian_mendes 2m
Bryan Murray tells @TSN1200 he told Spezza's agent Rick Curran: "Unless something improves, don't expect to be traded."

Pan
Alumni
Date:

I would assume the Berglund extention, if being traded, would have been negotiated with the team receiving him, like when we got Bishop on a sign and trade. This tells me that he was signed and they're looking to move another piece instead. Otherwise, the move would have been done almost at the same time.

Alumni
Date:

Would the singing of Berglund by St. Louis for 3yrs @3.7M make him more or less attractive for the Sens in a potential deal? I haven't quite figured it out yet. I'm not even sure if I want him, but since Toronto seems to want him, maybe something can be arranged in a three-way deal.

Alumni
Date:

Murray said that there's no deadline for a deal and it might even be into the new season before a deal is done. On one side that's OK, because if he'd put a public deadline on it, he could be further pressured by other GM's (with lesser returns as a result). On the other hand it would be an awkward situation; who would wear the C? Spezza? when everybody knows he's on the way out? Philips?

And I also imagine GMBM would be very hesitant to put Spezza out there in the next season and risk getting him hurt.

-- Edited by labru on Friday 27th of June 2014 02:50:06 AM

«First  <  1 2 3 48  >  Last»  | Page of 8  sorted by
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.