Password 
    Remember Me  

Topic: Storm check-in!

Post Info
Alumni
Date:
RE: Storm check-in!

SensKat wrote:

ok, one more.... this super cool image is of a rocky outcrop in one of our downtown parks after the storm was over:

r/KingstonOntario - Breakwater Park after the blizzard

that's the pic of the year. incredible. 

Alumni
Date:

SensKat wrote:

check this one out.... this shot is from yesterday, after the storm had cleared. About 30 minutes from my place.

twitter.com/rburnsRB/status/1607379422079815680

that's a 7 ft drift. good lord.  

Confident Fan
Date:

Cathy wrote:

That is TRIP-PY!

And I'm sure they're light poles, the yellow glow gives it away, but I can't stop seeing two Afghan Hounds encased in ice.

It just screams too frikkin COLD 🥶 

Alumni
Date:

That is TRIP-PY!

And I'm sure they're light poles, the yellow glow gives it away, but I can't stop seeing two Afghan Hounds encased in ice.

Jedi Master
Date:

ok, one more.... this super cool image is of a rocky outcrop in one of our downtown parks after the storm was over:

r/KingstonOntario - Breakwater Park after the blizzard

Alumni
Date:

SensKat wrote:

check this one out.... this shot is from yesterday, after the storm had cleared. About 30 minutes from my place.

Holy cow! I thought the video cut in the middle. 

Jedi Master
Date:

Alumni
Date:

just got my internet and cable back about an hour ago. was out for over 24 hrs. had to spend time with the wife. It was tough I tell ya. 

also, local tim's website said their drive thru would be open today, so i fought my way through the wind and snow to find they were not open. Again, I was not pleased.

That was my first-world problems christmas. 

Jedi Master
Date:

The snow has finally almost stopped here, and the winds are down, although still not great. Plows are back on the roads, and there is hope that they may reopen the roads at some point today.

Merry Christmas Sens fans!

Alumni
Date:

Homer wrote:
Homer wrote:

Trains are also canceled.  Lot's of people already stranded. 

"Due to a CN train derailment that occurred earlier today, VIA Rail is forced to cancel all trains between Toronto and Ottawa and Toronto and Montreal scheduled for December 25."

Damn, people are loosing their ****.  So much stress in getting home for the holidays. 

@ChantalleLC

@VIA_Rail  Chaos is brewing on train 55.  Some passengers have gone rogue and started jumping off the train.  Via staff are crying. Many people are calling 911.  This needs immediate de-escalation.

8:56 AM · Dec 24, 2022

@ChantalleLC

Hi Kyle, 21hrs after departing, we are on the rescue train. Train 55 passengers were moved over by a huge group of incredible fire fighters. Our original train is immovable, so Via will be operating on a single track with manual signals--it will be slow moving for you in train 69

11:59 AM · Dec 24, 2022

25% stress of holiday travel, 75% self-centred arrogant MFFY-ness of people who think they are the only thing in the world. 

Alumni
Date:

Other than having to avoid/evade a lot of really bad drivers on the roads and some really heavy shovelling (the end of my driveway now has three separate plow rows: sidewalk, bike lane, roadway), it was just another storm. Given that I spend time off-grid all the time at the cottage or the fishing camp I’m well-equipped with battery powered stuff, and was ready to supply it if I found anyone that needed it. As of midnight this morning, I still knew of one friend without power but their generator was keeping things going.

-- Edited by Kardinal on Sunday 25th of December 2022 08:06:54 AM

Confident Fan
Date:

So sorry to hear all this, especially during Christmas. It sounds worse than awful.

Pie Connoisseur
Date:

We didn't get much snow. It's the wind that's causing all the trouble. When the rain changed to snow and everything started to freeze, had to get out and shovel and scrape the lane way and walk. That was exhausting. And then the city plow came by and threw up a wall of ice across the end of the lane way. Luckily my wife and son were here to help. My cardiologist would not have approved. My niece came up from Guelph yesterday. Took about 10 hours. But at least she got here.

Jedi Master
Date:

Yeah, people are stranded all over the place. Trains have to be one of the worst, they don't really have much in the way of food, probably can't keep them heated for long....

twitter.com/ascott4700/status/1606752857071308800

quick clip of some of what we are dealing with

Alumni
Date:

Homer wrote:

"Due to a CN train derailment that occurred earlier today, VIA Rail is forced to cancel all trains between Toronto and Ottawa and Toronto and Montreal scheduled for December 25."

Damn, people are loosing their ****.  So much stress in getting home for the holidays. 

@ChantalleLC

@VIA_Rail  Chaos is brewing on train 55.  Some passengers have gone rogue and started jumping off the train.  Via staff are crying. Many people are calling 911.  This needs immediate de-escalation.

8:56 AM · Dec 24, 2022

@ChantalleLC

Hi Kyle, 21hrs after departing, we are on the rescue train. Train 55 passengers were moved over by a huge group of incredible fire fighters. Our original train is immovable, so Via will be operating on a single track with manual signals--it will be slow moving for you in train 69

11:59 AM · Dec 24, 2022

Alumni
Date:

Jedi Master
Date:

Homer wrote:
SensKat wrote:

I know the rest of you didn't get it as badly as my area, but just checking in!  Everyone ok, safe, and warm?

All good for me. I stayed home, didn't venture out anywhere. 

There were a number of power outages on Friday throughout the city, mostly resolved now except for two small areas. Hydro crews did an amazing job.

That wind is no joke though. Buffalo got it pretty bad, that there was a driving ban issued by the mayor. 

All the highways were complete whiteouts. 

Basically every city, town, and township around here closed the roads, pulled the plows, and several have declared states of emergency.  It's brutal out there.

Alumni
Date:

SensKat wrote:

I know the rest of you didn't get it as badly as my area, but just checking in!  Everyone ok, safe, and warm?

All good for me. I stayed home, didn't venture out anywhere. 

There were a number of power outages on Friday throughout the city, mostly resolved now except for two small areas. Hydro crews did an amazing job.

That wind is no joke though. Buffalo got it pretty bad, that there was a driving ban issued by the mayor. 

All the highways were complete whiteouts. 

Jedi Master
Date:

Page 1 of 1  sorted by
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.