Post Info
Alumni
Date:
RE: Update from Texas Chad

canuck wrote:

Email from Chad... too long for the podcast so pasting here for review:

---

Hey fellas, 

Happy to see hockey back on the big screen.   No fans allowed in Ontario is probably a good thing given the nasty lingering covid-19 virus and all.   I thought I would write in and give you a little insight on how things are here in Texas.   Perhaps the listeners will be interested to hear it, but by no means do you have to read this on air or anything (unless you need content:))

So as at least Canuck you know, I run a team in the North American Hockey League (Lone Star Brahmas).   We play in a suburb of Fort Worth, Texas.   Our journey through the pandemic has been interesting to say the least.   Back in March of 2020 like everyone else in the world we had to pause what we were doing, and effectively shut down for a while.  By May it became apparent that Texans were not happy with things being shut down, and the Governor decided to slowly re-open things.   For hockey to return it would have to have the blessing of the Texas Amateur Hockey Association, USA Hockey, and the Dallas Stars Travel Hockey League.   Our youth teams play in the Stars travel hockey league, which is governed by the Texas Amateur Hockey Association which is governed by USA Hockey.   

Late May it was determined that rinks could re-open with limited capacity for ice events.   No spectators were allowed, and just 25% of capacity was allowed for stick and puck sessions and things of that nature.   Locker rooms and showers were closed, you would have to come to the rink dressed, and leave dressed.   Masks were to be worn except when you are in the act of skating on the ice.   

Over the course of the summer the restrictions were eased for the most part.   We kept locker rooms closed through August, and of course had to hire people to spray the place down with disinfectant all day long.  

For the Brahmas our schedule was delayed multiple times as the league plays nationwide, and not everyone was as open as texas.  Eventually by late October the league had put together a comprehensive return to play protocol and we were able to get things going.   We opened the season with 50% capacity in the stands, masks mandatory, seats spaced out for social distance.  

Of course teams had issues with positive cases and would have to shut down for a couple weeks causing games to be rescheduled.   Our team did a good job of following protocol and we were able to forge ahead.   Of course we had lots of Rona tests along the way, and a few scares.  By American Thanksgiving I made the executive decision to back attendance down to 35% capacity.   We had too many complaints of people not wearing masks and crowding in parts of the arena.  Also by this time we started to see lots of teams from other states seek us out as a practice home and even place to host their games.   The New Mexico Ice Wolves have been playing their home games in our arena, and we have hosted teams from Massachusetts, New Jersey, Florida, Michigan, and even Illinois.   We were not going out to seek to profit off the pandemic, but the requests for ice time just kept coming and coming.   At one point the US figure skating association was looking at bubbling here, and using our facility as a training center.   The British Columbia Hockey League looked at using us as a bubble type sight for an abbreviated season as well.   

Now we have made it to the half way point of our season, and we have sold out every game (granted keep in mind the limited capacity thing).  

Sadly the downside is every single off ice official we have has contracted and survived the virus.  We have had coaches and other staffers test positive, and with each one we just hit it face on and do what we have to do to get healthy.  We have seen a few season ticket holders and sponsors pass away.   The thing that I wrestle with is just hoping that no one that passed away contracted the disease in our barn.   I have been able to avoid the virus luckily (knock on wood).  

The Stars are going with looks like 25% capacity at their games, and given the size of their arena I think they should be fine as long as everyone follows the rules, masks, wash hands, etc.  Mark Cuban plans on filling the American Airlines Center to capacity with people who are vaccinated. I think what we are going to see is mandatory proof of vaccination before you can enter an arena in the future.  

Keep up the great work boys, I can not wait to get back to normal and get my one game a year live in person with the sens when they come to Dallas.   Until then leafs suck, go sens go, epstein didnt kill himself.

Texas Chad

Great email, great insight and great walk-off line. 

Alumni
Date:

Email from Chad... too long for the podcast so pasting here for review:

---

Hey fellas, 

Happy to see hockey back on the big screen.   No fans allowed in Ontario is probably a good thing given the nasty lingering covid-19 virus and all.   I thought I would write in and give you a little insight on how things are here in Texas.   Perhaps the listeners will be interested to hear it, but by no means do you have to read this on air or anything (unless you need content:))

So as at least Canuck you know, I run a team in the North American Hockey League (Lone Star Brahmas).   We play in a suburb of Fort Worth, Texas.   Our journey through the pandemic has been interesting to say the least.   Back in March of 2020 like everyone else in the world we had to pause what we were doing, and effectively shut down for a while.  By May it became apparent that Texans were not happy with things being shut down, and the Governor decided to slowly re-open things.   For hockey to return it would have to have the blessing of the Texas Amateur Hockey Association, USA Hockey, and the Dallas Stars Travel Hockey League.   Our youth teams play in the Stars travel hockey league, which is governed by the Texas Amateur Hockey Association which is governed by USA Hockey.   

Late May it was determined that rinks could re-open with limited capacity for ice events.   No spectators were allowed, and just 25% of capacity was allowed for stick and puck sessions and things of that nature.   Locker rooms and showers were closed, you would have to come to the rink dressed, and leave dressed.   Masks were to be worn except when you are in the act of skating on the ice.   

Over the course of the summer the restrictions were eased for the most part.   We kept locker rooms closed through August, and of course had to hire people to spray the place down with disinfectant all day long.  

For the Brahmas our schedule was delayed multiple times as the league plays nationwide, and not everyone was as open as texas.  Eventually by late October the league had put together a comprehensive return to play protocol and we were able to get things going.   We opened the season with 50% capacity in the stands, masks mandatory, seats spaced out for social distance.  

Of course teams had issues with positive cases and would have to shut down for a couple weeks causing games to be rescheduled.   Our team did a good job of following protocol and we were able to forge ahead.   Of course we had lots of Rona tests along the way, and a few scares.  By American Thanksgiving I made the executive decision to back attendance down to 35% capacity.   We had too many complaints of people not wearing masks and crowding in parts of the arena.  Also by this time we started to see lots of teams from other states seek us out as a practice home and even place to host their games.   The New Mexico Ice Wolves have been playing their home games in our arena, and we have hosted teams from Massachusetts, New Jersey, Florida, Michigan, and even Illinois.   We were not going out to seek to profit off the pandemic, but the requests for ice time just kept coming and coming.   At one point the US figure skating association was looking at bubbling here, and using our facility as a training center.   The British Columbia Hockey League looked at using us as a bubble type sight for an abbreviated season as well.   

Now we have made it to the half way point of our season, and we have sold out every game (granted keep in mind the limited capacity thing).  

Sadly the downside is every single off ice official we have has contracted and survived the virus.  We have had coaches and other staffers test positive, and with each one we just hit it face on and do what we have to do to get healthy.  We have seen a few season ticket holders and sponsors pass away.   The thing that I wrestle with is just hoping that no one that passed away contracted the disease in our barn.   I have been able to avoid the virus luckily (knock on wood).  

The Stars are going with looks like 25% capacity at their games, and given the size of their arena I think they should be fine as long as everyone follows the rules, masks, wash hands, etc.  Mark Cuban plans on filling the American Airlines Center to capacity with people who are vaccinated. I think what we are going to see is mandatory proof of vaccination before you can enter an arena in the future.  

Keep up the great work boys, I can not wait to get back to normal and get my one game a year live in person with the sens when they come to Dallas.   Until then leafs suck, go sens go, epstein didnt kill himself.

Texas Chad

Page 1 of 1  sorted by
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.