Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  

Topic: All-Star Game Shenanigans

Post Info
Alumni
Date:
RE: All-Star Game Shenanigans

Yeah, the game itself is always pretty boring. I honestly like watching the Skills Competition a lot more. Also I think maybe they could've at least sent Ovechkin down to sign autographs, be there for the fans, etc. While still not competing.

I agree that he always wants to go, it's definitely the organization that told him not to.

Confident Fan
Date:

Russell wrote:

Or that could take the whole thing out behind the barn and shoot it. Best thing for the poor, old thing.

A LOT!!!

-- Edited by Russell on Friday 29th of January 2016 06:35:25 PM

Alumni
Date:

Or theu could take the whole thing out behind the barn and shoot it. Best thing for the poor, old thing.

-- Edited by Russell on Friday 29th of January 2016 06:35:25 PM

-- Edited by Russell on Friday 29th of January 2016 11:45:37 PM

Alumni
Date:

I'd be ok if a player has the option to not participate every other year.  But, how do you implement that?  Lets say they start next year and all the players who played this year want to take the time off next year instead of going to the ASG.  I don't see the NHL going for that.

As for Ovie, he's like a big kid.  He's the kind of guy that wants to be there every year.  Other players, after going once or twice, would rather never go again.

The NHLPA should have made this an issue for the CBA and find a compromise with the league.

As for the John Scott thing, I agree with Kardinal again (I'll have to see a doctor about that....) The NHL made the voting rules and now have to accept the results.  If they don't want it to happen in the future? Then don't have open voting.  Don't fans only vote for the starting lineup and other players are named to the ASG by the league?  If they limit the voting to a select pool of players eligible for voting to the starting lineup, the problem is solved.  If a player comes out of nowhere and merits an invite to the ASG, then he gets named to it by the league. 

Pan
Alumni
Date:

Totally agree with Kardinal, but the payment is given to the winning team. That said, I'm sure they're going to give it a hell of a shot knowing that he could use the money. It's ridiculous that they're suspending these guys. It's all Crosby's fault (who also skipped the CHL top prospects game in his draft year - so he only shows up if it counts - expect him to sit out if the pens get eliminated) OV and Toewes are hurt, but they push out Scott and were willing to give Jagr exemption for age. Ridiculous

Alumni
Date:

Toews is out too, for the same reason, and he too will be suspended for a game when the regular season resumes.

I've been thinking about this, and while I understand the corporate "we want ALL our stars to be together to put on a show for corporate sponsors and fans", I think it's a bit much to expect the same players to be there every year while the rest of the league gets a week off.

I was thinking: make ASG appearances mandatory every second year.   That way, nobody has to be there every year and fans get to see more of the greats of the game rather than many of the same faces every year.

For the record, I'm all for John Scott being in the game.   He was voted in via the system the NHL set up for the public to decide who plays, and the $90k they make for being there is basically 1/6th of his season salary (league minimum $575k) so it matters much more to him than players on megamillion contracts.

Alumni
Date:

Ovechkin is pulling himself out of the All-Star game due to a nagging injury that's been bothering him all year.  Under NHL rules he will be required to sit out Washington's game against the Florida Panthers on Feb. 2.

The Skills Competition will begin at 7 p.m. ET on Saturday, Jan. 30
The All-Star Game will start at 5 p.m. ET on Sunday, Jan. 31.

Page 1 of 1  sorted by
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.