Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  

Topic: 3 on 3 overtime

Post Info
Alumni
Date:
RE: 3 on 3 overtime

ok, makes sense.  Wasn't expecting that from the NHL.

Alumni
Date:

I saw a 3-3 powerplay, the team with the pp goes to 4 players.

Alumni
Date:

So we've seen a few games of OT in preseason.

From an article on TSN

"of the 44 preseason games sent to overtime with a tied score, 33 games (75 per cent) produced a goal via 3-on-3 play. Bettman said the average was "pretty much what we expected." Detroit GM Ken Holland said in June the league targeted a 70 per cent success rate as a benchmark.

More interesting was the average time it took to produce a goal: 2:49.

Even though 3-on-3 was implemented with the idea of ending more games, was there any concern amongst the governors that they were ending too fast?

We even saw the first penalty shot goal produced by 3-on-3, with the Rangers' Keith Yandle beating Philadelphia's Steve Mason on Monday night at Madison Square Garden.

Before this change to the overtime format, penalty shots occurred far more frequently than 3-on-3 instances in the regular season. Now, with an increase in the number of breakaways due to 3-on-3, we could see the number of penalty shots rise, too."

For the penalty shot I assume it was from a player on a breakaway being taken down.  What about regular penalties.  In regulation teams don't go below 3 players on the ice.  If there are multiple penalties that would make a team lose more than two players, then one or more of the penalties is delayed. 

How are penalties given in OT, do teams go down to 2 players, or even 1?  or is a penalty an automatic penalty shot (unless they are offsetting penalties).   Will referees be even less likely to call a penalty in 3on3 OT than in regulation?

Page 1 of 1  sorted by
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.