Topic: Free Agent Stupidity....err....Frenzy

Post Info
Pan
Alumni
Date:
RE: Free Agent Stupidity....err....Frenzy

Agent Orange wrote:
Pan wrote:

Greening should be bought out. A dollar saved is a dollar saved and the Sens have better options available internally

I disagree with this.

It's better for the team's internal cap and salary budget to pay Greening the remaining two years of his contract rather than extending it over 4.  He's paid off at the end of the 2016-17 season with no salary or cap hits for 2017-18 and 2018-19 when the next (more expensive) contracts of JGP, Zibby, Lazar kick in.  By not buying him out the extra million for each of those years could go a long way on getting those contracts done amicably.

If he gets traded along the way, bonus!

-- Edited by Agent Orange on Thursday 2nd of July 2015 02:16:55 PM

The cap isn't and won't be an issue with this team.  It's the cash out in total.  Do you want to pay him $6M over 2 years or $4M over 4? End of the day, you save $2M. That's the key with the buy out. 

Alumni
Date:

Homer wrote:
Russell wrote:

Rutherford on Kessel conditioning "I think guys that are in too good of shape are vulnerable to get injured, and this guy plays every game.”

So basically he is saying that he has extra padding

Now that Phil is gone from Toronto I'm glad.  Don't get me wrong - I hate the Pens almost just as much, I'm just glad the guy's out of Toronto for his own sake. Hearing TSN bashing him saying "Toronto needs more than an 80 points a year guy" I just shook my head.

Alumni
Date:

Agent Orange wrote:
Pan wrote:

Greening should be bought out. A dollar saved is a dollar saved and the Sens have better options available internally

I disagree with this.

It's better for the team's internal cap and salary budget to pay Greening the remaining two years of his contract rather than extending it over 4.  He's paid off at the end of the 2016-17 season with no salary or cap hits for 2017-18 and 2018-19 when the next (more expensive) contracts of JGP, Zibby, Lazar kick in.  By not buying him out the extra million for each of those years could go a long way on getting those contracts done amicably.

Agreed.  Plus Greening could actually wake up and realize he could be out of a job if he doesn't start playing a bit more like a power forward - banging bodies, using his speed, dropping the gloves once in a while.

I have no doubt anyone who isn't pulling their weight will be sitting in the press box.  Which will clear the way for guys like Nick Paul to step up and show what they have.

Confident Fan
Date:

Agent Orange wrote:
Pan wrote:

I disagree with this.

LIKE this.  Good thinking.

Alumni
Date:

Pan wrote:

I disagree with this.

Alumni
Date:

tjlincoln wrote:
Pan wrote:

Now knowing the relationship between Condra and Cooper, I'm not at all surprised that he went to Tampa. When you have the opportunity to play for your hero in Yzerman, your mentor in Cooper, go to the cup finalist and save $600k in tax (while moving back to your home country), it has nothing to do with Ottawa's budget or internal cap or being cheap. Plus we have Prince/Pageau/Robinson/Lindberg(??) on LW Depth, so even if Condra signed for 2 years, next year isn't a guarantee - plus he was scratched here a few times where he's guaranteed to be in the lineup in Tampa.

I expected Ottawa to do nothing today and I'm fine with it. They trimmed a lot of the fat which I wanted to see gone at trade deadline, and now we just have Greening and Cowen to worry about. Cowen is immovable, not because he could be the next Chara and he's big, but because he's terrible, hasn't shown any improvement and was given tons of chances to do it.

Good analysis, I wonder if they weren't burdened by Greening's contract if they would have went the extra year for Condra?

Doubt it.  This was them owning their mistakes of offering too many years on contracts (Greening, Legwand, Cowan, Phillips, Neil, Gryba).  That third year is a gamble that could end up putting them in the same situation they had with Wideman this year having to overpay to keep one of their own guys.

Condra for what he is, is redundant and replaceable.

Confident Fan
Date:

Pan wrote:

Now knowing the relationship between Condra and Cooper, I'm not at all surprised that he went to Tampa. When you have the opportunity to play for your hero in Yzerman, your mentor in Cooper, go to the cup finalist and save $600k in tax (while moving back to your home country), it has nothing to do with Ottawa's budget or internal cap or being cheap. Plus we have Prince/Pageau/Robinson/Lindberg(??) on LW Depth, so even if Condra signed for 2 years, next year isn't a guarantee - plus he was scratched here a few times where he's guaranteed to be in the lineup in Tampa.

I expected Ottawa to do nothing today and I'm fine with it. They trimmed a lot of the fat which I wanted to see gone at trade deadline, and now we just have Greening and Cowen to worry about. Cowen is immovable, not because he could be the next Chara and he's big, but because he's terrible, hasn't shown any improvement and was given tons of chances to do it.

Good analysis, I wonder if they weren't burdened by Greening's contract if they would have went the extra year for Condra?

Alumni
Date:

Russell wrote:

Rutherford on Kessel conditioning "I think guys that are in too good of shape are vulnerable to get injured, and this guy plays every game.”

So basically he is saying that he has extra padding

Pan
Alumni
Date:

tjlincoln wrote:
Kardinal wrote:

DET signs Mike Green to 3yr / $18M contract.    That's a bit steep for a player who's had such a drop off in the past few years IMO.  I don't see him as a top pairing guy, and paying $6M AAV to a 3-4 defenceman seems high.

His play has dropped off substantially for years now, this looks like that Redden contract except for the term.

This was the only ridiculous deal of the day.  Everything else seemed very reasonable. 

The Kessel trade also looked like a giveaway but the Leafs get a 1st & 3rd and swap around prospect (Biggs will never make it). That's how you rebuild a team and the management will do it right for once - at least they're on track to do it. 

Pittsburgh lost 2 defencemen I think  Martin wasn't washed up, you just don't notice him.  Very steady and can play in the league.  Outside of letan, it's scary back there

Pan
Alumni
Date:

Pan
Alumni
Date:

Kardinal wrote:

As things stand at this second:

MacArthur - Turris - Stone

_______(1) - Zibanejad - Ryan

Michalek - Pageau - Lazar

_______(2) - Smith - Neil

Greening

Methot - Karlsson

Ceci - Wiercioch

Borowiecki - Cowen

Phillips

Anderson

Hammond

(presumably (1) is Hoffman, (2) is Chiasson, at least for now)

If GMBM can move Greening, that's fine, but I'm not interested in too much other tinkering.

If a team trades an RFA who's been qualified, does the qualifying offer go with the trade or does the new team have to start over?

Chiasson is a RW. He'll switch with Neil depending on games and injuries. 

I have Hoffman and Prince/Puempel on LW slots. Puempel can handle the PK behind Michalek

Confident Fan
Date:

Kardinal wrote:

DET signs Mike Green to 3yr / $18M contract.    That's a bit steep for a player who's had such a drop off in the past few years IMO.  I don't see him as a top pairing guy, and paying $6M AAV to a 3-4 defenceman seems high.

His play has dropped off substantially for years now, this looks like that Redden contract except for the term.

Confident Fan
Date:

Russell wrote:

So, that crazy old coot sather stepped aside. Never thought I'd see it. 

I still remember you calling him insane the day he signed Redden to that whopping contract.

Alumni
Date:

derek grant off to calgary.

Pie Connoisseur
Date:

SensDawg wrote:
Russell wrote:

He dresses every game.  Not sure he "plays."

Alumni
Date:

Russell wrote:

BM on Condra : he almost hit the net more often than not."

LMAO!

BOOOOM!!!  Good move BM.  Time for Prince, Puempel, Robinson...

Alumni
Date:

Russell wrote:

He dresses every game.  Not sure he "plays."

Alumni
Date:

Alumni
Date:

senior wrote:
Russell wrote:
senior wrote:
Kardinal wrote:

How can these teams afford 6 million a year for a defenseman that can't kill penalties and they probably have to hide on 3rd defense pairing?

dominos pizza 

Good idea. I'm hungry.

you fat bastard!

Pie Connoisseur
Date:

Russell wrote:
senior wrote:
Kardinal wrote:

How can these teams afford 6 million a year for a defenseman that can't kill penalties and they probably have to hide on 3rd defense pairing?

dominos pizza 

Good idea. I'm hungry.

1 2 35  >  Last»  | Page of 5  sorted by
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.