Remember Me  

Topic: 2015 draft

Post Info
Confident Fan
Date:
RE: 2015 draft

SensDawg wrote:
Kardinal wrote:

I'm not saying I *want* to trade Pageau, but I think he's an asset that there would be interest in and he's expendable in the sense that he's not CRITICAL to success.   He contributes to it, to be certain, but not the biggest cog on the wheel.   If he stays, I'm completely fine with that, but I think there would be more of a market from a team looking to improve to get a Gryba or Pageau than there would be for Legwand, ZSmith or Greening. 

I'm still of the mind that having Lazar up here this season wasn't the right move in the long term.    He would have had to go back to the WHL (not old enough to go to Bingo), but he's not developed this season IMO other than to shake off the wideeye rookie thing and, for a scoring centre, being put on a checking line isn't a great spot to be.   Granted, it has worked out well in the long term for Antoine Vermette (remember Vermette/Kelly/Neil for a couple of seasons??), but Lazar needs more ice time to get the scoring touch he had in the CHL at the NHL level and now that he's been in Ottawa for a season there's no flippin' way he's going to Bingo to get said ice time and development time.  I think this will be to his detriment long term.

Agree - Pageau and Gryba are assets of some value but like you said, not critical, so other teams wouldn't give up much for them, certainly not first round picks in the top 15.   Smith/Legwand/Cowen/Greening/Phillips are as good as bought out/traded/scratched = non-factors on this team.

Agree on Lazar - wish they didn't bring him up just yet and had given a sniff to Prince or Puempel or one of the other Bingo forwards, but maybe none of them were good enough or had the right attitude to earn that chance.  If possible, I wish Lazar would spend some time in the AHL and develop that scoring touch like you said.  

Meanwhile, you have Cole Schneider and Prince with nearly 30 this year.  Would love it if those guys get some games up with the Sens instead of Lazar/Smith/Neil/Legwand.  Also, would be nice if we had Wideman as the 7th D to rotate into the lineup.  Gryba has the knack of taking a lot of dumb penalties. 

Projecting the line up:

MacArthur - Turris - Stone

Hoffman - Zibanejad - Ryan

Prince - Pageau - Condra

Puempel - Smith - Chiasson/Michalek

Karlsson - Methot

Ceci - Wiercioch

Boro - Wideman

Lots of dead weight and money with those guys--Phillips, Neil, Legwand, Greening, and Cowen eat up a lot of money on the budget cap that the Sens live under.  You have Condra on the lineup above but with all that dead money on unproductive and old players they have a real chance of not having the dollars for him.  Plus they actually do have young productive RFA's they have to pay. It's going to be a very important off season to see how they jettison some of that money to clear space for the RFA's and hopefully Condra.

Alumni
Date:

Kardinal wrote:

I'm not saying I *want* to trade Pageau, but I think he's an asset that there would be interest in and he's expendable in the sense that he's not CRITICAL to success.   He contributes to it, to be certain, but not the biggest cog on the wheel.   If he stays, I'm completely fine with that, but I think there would be more of a market from a team looking to improve to get a Gryba or Pageau than there would be for Legwand, ZSmith or Greening. 

I'm still of the mind that having Lazar up here this season wasn't the right move in the long term.    He would have had to go back to the WHL (not old enough to go to Bingo), but he's not developed this season IMO other than to shake off the wideeye rookie thing and, for a scoring centre, being put on a checking line isn't a great spot to be.   Granted, it has worked out well in the long term for Antoine Vermette (remember Vermette/Kelly/Neil for a couple of seasons??), but Lazar needs more ice time to get the scoring touch he had in the CHL at the NHL level and now that he's been in Ottawa for a season there's no flippin' way he's going to Bingo to get said ice time and development time.  I think this will be to his detriment long term.

Agree - Pageau and Gryba are assets of some value but like you said, not critical, so other teams wouldn't give up much for them, certainly not first round picks in the top 15.   Smith/Legwand/Cowen/Greening/Phillips are as good as bought out/traded/scratched = non-factors on this team.

Agree on Lazar - wish they didn't bring him up just yet and had given a sniff to Prince or Puempel or one of the other Bingo forwards, but maybe none of them were good enough or had the right attitude to earn that chance.  If possible, I wish Lazar would spend some time in the AHL and develop that scoring touch like you said.  

Meanwhile, you have Cole Schneider and Prince with nearly 30 this year.  Would love it if those guys get some games up with the Sens instead of Lazar/Smith/Neil/Legwand.  Also, would be nice if we had Wideman as the 7th D to rotate into the lineup.  Gryba has the knack of taking a lot of dumb penalties. 

Projecting the line up:

MacArthur - Turris - Stone

Hoffman - Zibanejad - Ryan

Prince - Pageau - Condra

Puempel - Smith - Chiasson/Michalek

Karlsson - Methot

Ceci - Wiercioch

Boro - Wideman

Alumni
Date:

Homer wrote:
Russell wrote:
Kardinal wrote:

As it stands right now, the Senators will be drafting 18th (it could be 17th if the Flames make it to the conference final). 

What do you want?

Scoring centre?

Defensive centre?

Scoring winger?

Defensive defenseman?

.....or "the best player available"?

I'd like GMBM to package our draft pick, a prospect and a roster player like Gryba or JGP to move up in the draft.

jgp? Really? I want that guy on our team forever. He's a killer. 

Plus he already told Subban he wasn't moving

Ok, that's really funny. 

Confident Fan
Date:

SensDawg wrote:

Best player available. Always. Trade JGP???? Kards, are you dipping into the sauce early today? Pageau is turning into the nice little leader on and off the ice. The guy has done nothing but proven he'll go through a wall to get a win. Has been a consumate pro 100% of the time.

And who's to say he can't develop more of a scoring touch if he's not playing with the AnaCondra and wide-eyed rookie like Lazar.

I'd keep Pageau over a lot of guys on this roster. But I agree, the Sens have lots of assets they can use in trades to move up. I'd trade Lehner, not because Hammond is that much better in nets, but he's a better teammate it seems.

Agree Dawg, very good analysis.   Remember Puempel was playing very well before his injury too.  The Senators really have some nice young players.   Plus Prince and a couple of other young guys in Bingo who could contribute to Ottawa.   I love all these stinking drafts for some stupid reason.  NFL, NHL, NBA and even the MLB one.

I think the Senators should obviously at #17 or #18 take the best player on their board--they've proven that they have a keen eye for talent.  #15 overall a superstar in Karlsson and the later teens pick in Lazar.  Cowen is sorta a bust about now. #10 overall. That Stone pick was absolute brilliance, 6th round.

Confident Fan
Date:

Homer wrote:
Russell wrote:
Kardinal wrote:

As it stands right now, the Senators will be drafting 18th (it could be 17th if the Flames make it to the conference final). 

What do you want?

Scoring centre?

Defensive centre?

Scoring winger?

Defensive defenseman?

I'd like GMBM to package our draft pick, a prospect and a roster player like Gryba or JGP to move up in the draft.

at least what Homer said

Confident Fan
Date:

Russell wrote:
Kardinal wrote:

What do you want?

Scoring centre?

Defensive centre?

Scoring winger?

Defensive defenseman?

at least what Russell said 

Confident Fan
Date:

Not Gryba or JGP, NOOOOOOOOO Package Cowen, Neil, Phillips Greening and Legwand to move up in the draft. You know the guys we don't want or anybody else would want.  I forgot ZackSmith package him too

-- Edited by tjlincoln on Tuesday 28th of April 2015 09:21:11 PM

Alumni
Date:

Jedi Master
Date:

Someone that can win a faceoff? Please??

Alumni
Date:

Best player available. Always. Trade JGP???? Kards, are you dipping into the sauce early today? Pageau is turning into the nice little leader on and off the ice. The guy has done nothing but proven he'll go through a wall to get a win. Has been a consumate pro 100% of the time.

And who's to say he can't develop more of a scoring touch if he's not playing with the AnaCondra and wide-eyed rookie like Lazar.

I'd keep Pageau over a lot of guys on this roster. But I agree, the Sens have lots of assets they can use in trades to move up. I'd trade Lehner, not because Hammond is that much better in nets, but he's a better teammate it seems.

Alumni
Date:

Russell wrote:
Kardinal wrote:

What do you want?

Scoring centre?

Defensive centre?

Scoring winger?

Defensive defenseman?

Alumni
Date:

Kardinal wrote:

What do you want?

Scoring centre?

Defensive centre?

Scoring winger?

Defensive defenseman?

Alumni
Date:

What do you want?

Scoring centre?

Defensive centre?

Scoring winger?

Defensive defenseman?

Page 1 of 1  sorted by
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.