Password 
    Remember Me  

Topic: The Leafs Suck Chant

Post Info
Pan
Alumni
Date:
RE: The Leafs Suck Chant

I'd compare that one to the Rangers "Potvin sucks" whistle which we have spoken of previously. I totally get your point, Stephen, about the Sens building an identity, and the team and fans are working on that (which will be significantly discussed in tomorrow's episode). Unfortunately this is one of very few, if not only, traditions that the Sens fans have at the games.

Also sadly, no one else is following my lead for yelling "shoot" when the goalies control the puck

Veteran
Date:

Yeah, that's the one I mean.  I agree...it should only happen in two circumstances: when the Leafs show on the out-of-town scoreboard, and when the Leafs are actually playing the Senators.

Alumni
Date:

Are you referring to the

Dah-Dah-dumdumdum-Dah-Dah....LEAFS SUCK!

one?  I've always laughed when I've heard it, but wondered why it was happening unless there was an out-of-town scoreboard update on the big screen?   I seem to recall that, at the last Sens-Leafs game I was at with Pan (was that last year or during the lockout-shortened season?? I can't remember), that classic organ bit wasn't played so it wasn't heard.  It was as if they were trying to not insult the Leafers in the building.

A bit of rivalry isn't a bad thing, but when it becomes a primary focus of identity it says more about the lack of identity than anything else.  I mean, really......we already know they suck.   Almost as much as their fans do. ;)

Veteran
Date:

Just thought I'd share my opinion and get others as well.

As we all know, during the games there is usually a "Leafs Suck!" chant - regardless of whether the team from TO is playing.

My opinion of this chant is that it reinforces the fact that Ottawa fans have no real identity - that we are insecure as fans and rather than cheer for Ottawa when we're playing, say, Columbus, we continue to cheer against the Leafs.

To me, it feels the same as Spot the Idiot.  We are quick to point out Toronto fans attending non-Leafs games in Leafs jerseys, but we keep doing the Leafs Suck chant.

A caveat to all this - I'm perfectly fine with the Leafs Suck! chant when showing the out-of-town scoreboard and Toronto pops up on the screen.  It just seems pointless to me when it's done at random points in the game.

Thoughts?

Page 1 of 1  sorted by
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.