Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  

Topic: Sidney Crosby not arrested in Ottawa

Post Info
Alumni
Date:
RE: Sidney Crosby not arrested in Ottawa

Solid take, Homer.   The fact is that the Ducks think that Heatley is the answer to the merry-go-round that was LW with Getzlaf/Perry last season, and Heatley thinks he's a good example/mentor to younger players.  

No....no....stop laughing....I'm serious about both of those statements.   Here is the evidence: Ducks hope Heatley fills revolving door at left wing

Alumni
Date:

Some fact checking from QMI should have been done, but in the age of the internet, being 1st > being wrong.  We already know what kind of paper the Sun is, so what have they got to lose?  Reputation? .. LOL

Another story on the Sun...

"Healthy Bobby Ryan hits town, preps for Senators camp"

Healthy kind of looks like Heatley , OMG Heatley is back on Ottawa and will play on a line with Ryan.  PRINT IT, TWEET IT, HASH TAG IT,  INSTAGRAM IT, FACEBOOK IT, !!!!!  .... did I miss any?

Alumni
Date:

Sid is in Vail, CO.   Vail sounds like jail, so it's just someone with a bad cell phone who made the mistake.

A retraction has been printed:

Earlier today, QMI Agency reported that Pittsburgh Penguins centre Sidney Crosby was arrested by Ottawa Police late Tuesday on driving-related charges.

There was no basis for the story and QMI unreservedly retracts the story in its entirety.

QMI regrets the error.

Notices there is no apology for the error, just regret for it.  Pathetic, but expected from QMI.

I can't help but think this is going to hurt the relationship that Sun media reporters, who had NOTHING to do with the story being printed, and NHL players in general.

Pie Connoisseur
Date:

Just typical of most of the media today. If there is no story to report make one up. And then the story becomes the story with everyone running around denying it. The fact that it seems to have originated in Montreal is just par for the course.

-- Edited by senior on Wednesday 3rd of September 2014 03:05:52 PM

Alumni
Date:

I think it says something when it's not the media liaison officer of the police service, it's the CHIEF, who goes on Twitter and says:

@chiefbordeleau: We have had no dealings with Mr. Crosby.

Alumni
Date:

Interesting, and telling comment (which I, for one, believe) from @CFRARick:

I'll say what they can't: had zip to do with Crosby arrest story. Filed by QMI and posted to all Sun Media websites.

(QMI = Quebecor Media, the owner of Sun Media)

As for how the story gets published?  Desire-to-be-first-with-the-story trumps the common sense of fact checking when it comes to certain media outlets. 

Veteran
Date:

How does a rumour like this even gain traction? It seems like it would be pretty easy to check the facts on things like this...

Alumni
Date:

Unlike the claims by the Ottawa Sun in an article published early this morning, Sidney Crosby was not arrested early this morning in Ottawa, taken to the police station, and fingerprinted and a mugshot taken.    According to @penguins, the team's official Twitter feed, he's in Vail, Colorado.  

It's nice to see all sorts of mainstream media piling on the fact that the story isn't true. 

From @penguins: @NHLFlyers Our captain doesn't grab butts in Ottawa.

Page 1 of 1  sorted by
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.