Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  

Topic: NHL expansion.....to 34 teams?

Post Info
Jedi Master
Date:
RE: NHL expansion.....to 34 teams?

Yeah, I'm not sold on the idea of expansion. Water down the talent even further, make the schedule even longer...

But I don't believe anything until I hear it from Bobby Mac. ;)

Alumni
Date:

Winnipeg paid $60M to relocate from Atlanta, but the rumoured $1.4B for the four new teams means approx $350M in expansion fees per team.   That's why the league wants to expand, not move.   It's not about making sense, it's about making money.

Pie Connoisseur
Date:

There aren't enough skilled players to go around now. More teams mean watered down talent. It's all about greed.

Rookie
Date:

Quebec City would be my preferred choice, however there are markets not making money in the USA and I know Mr. Bettman wants it to work in the US markets but wake up, with baseball and NFL being their sport of choice over there, it just makes sense to move a lower revenue generating team back to Canada ie. QC rather than creating an additional franchise.

Alumni
Date:

I was writing so quickly I forgot the (/sarcasm) that was supposed to be after the first paragraph. It is all about the money, not about making sense.

Alumni
Date:

we talked about this is the past. What is the reasoning/ need to "grow the game"? Does it make the game better? The game has survived a long time. the only reason they want to grow the game is to generate more revenue for the owners, no matter what other altruistic reason they may spout.

Alumni
Date:

It's about bringing the joy of the game to more fans, not improving the game for the fans they already have.

More teams = more gross revenue, and expansion fees will prop up some franchises for a few years until Bettman decides to retire and leave the house of cards to come crashing down on his replacement.    It isn't really all that different from how governments defer spending / decisions when they suspect they are on their way out and want to leave the tough stuff to the next one.

Alumni
Date:

In Gary bettman's world, $$$$$$$$$$ is greater than quality. There are already waaaaaaayyyyyy to many condras in the league. Let's add 80 more!!!

-- Edited by Russell on Wednesday 27th of August 2014 12:29:44 PM

Alumni
Date:

Lets say that expansion does happen and possibly as soon as the 2015-16 season or for the 2016-17, 2017-18 seasons.

I think that in the past, you could only protect one goalie.  (I think that prospects are exempt)

With both Anderson and Lehner signed, we could very well lose one of them.

If expansion is done over a couple years, I hope that a team can only lose one goalie to the 4 new teams.

We currently have a 16-24 split for east/west.  Will that go to 18-16 or will a team move from the east to the west for an even 17-17 split.  but that would leave the divisions unbalanced.   The NHL needs to learn how to do math.

Alumni
Date:

First it was this article, claiming that Las Vegas was a "done deal":

Sources close to the situation have indicated Las Vegas is a done deal, the only thing to be determined being which owner will be entitled to proclaim that he brought the first major league sports franchise to Sin City.

Then, it gets better with this article claiming it will be not only Las Vegas, but Seattle, Quebec City and a 2nd team in Toronto as well.   All by 2017. 

I'm not all that surprised, to be honest.  It will be interesting to watch how it works out, if this is true, with where the 2nd GTA-based team will play as, the last I heard/read, the proposal for an arena in Markham wasn't going anywhere fast.   Copps Coliseum, anyone?  

Meanwhile, and as expected, Bill Daly has told TVA Sports (as quoted in this article):

"It's not in our plans," TVA Sports quoted Daly as saying in French. "There is absolutely nothing new on that."

«First  <  1 2 | Page of 2  sorted by
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.