Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  

Topic: Changes to draft lottery

Post Info
Confident Fan
Date:
RE: Changes to draft lottery

As long as the Sens get McDavid IF they don't make the playoffs then I'm all for this new lottery

Jedi Master
Date:

I like it - the draft lottery was an area that really needed a shakeup, and this is a definite improvement.

Alumni
Date:

My first reaction is that I like it, as the whole concept of a 'flounder for Connor" or "tank for McDavid" goes out the window as the worst team could drop as far as 4th in the lottery.

Alumni
Date:

Changes are coming to the draft, staggered in over two seasons.   In 2015: 

The odds of winning the first overall selection in the NHL Draft for the 14 non-Playoff teams will be adjusted to more appropriately reflect the current state of competitive balance in the League. This will result in a more evenly-balanced allocation of odds, with the 10 highest-finishing non-Playoff qualifying teams receiving higher (better) Draft Lottery odds than they received previously and the four lowest-finishing teams receiving lower (worse) odds. The revised set of odds will remain in effect year-to-year in the future.

Non-Playoff Team
(Fewest Pts. to Most)
New Draft Lottery OddsOdds Under Former Allocation
120.0%25.0%
213.5%18.8%
311.5%14.2%
49.5%10.7%
58.5%8.1%
67.5%6.2%
76.5%4.7%
86.0%3.6%
95.0%2.7%
103.5%2.1%
113.0%1.5%
122.5%1.1%
132.0%0.8%
141.0%0.5%

In 2016:

The Draft Lottery will be utilized to assign the top three drafting slots in the NHL Draft, an expansion over previous years when the Draft Lottery was used to determine the winner of the first overall selection only.   Three draws will be held: the 1st Lottery draw will determine the Club selecting first overall, the 2nd Lottery draw will determine the Club selecting second overall and the 3rd Lottery draw will determine the club selecting third overall.  As a result of this change, the team earning the fewest points during the regular season will no longer be guaranteed, at worst, the second overall pick. That club could fall as low as fourth overall.  The allocation of odds for the 1st Lottery draw will be the same as outlined above for the 2015 NHL Draft Lottery. The odds for the remaining teams will increase on a proportionate basis for the 2nd Lottery draw, based on which Club wins the 1st Lottery draw, and again for the 3rd Lottery draw, based on which Club wins the 2nd Lottery draw.  The 11 Clubs not selected in the Draft Lottery will be assigned NHL Draft selections 4 through 14, in inverse order of regular-season points.

(info from this story on NHL.com)

Page 1 of 1  sorted by
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.