Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  

Topic: Robin Lehner - signed!

Post Info
Confident Fan
Date:
RE: Robin Lehner - signed!

but once u get to a certain age you want and need that instant gratification--your no longer sure about "the future"

Alumni
Date:

I'm not your Rod Rodney there Bob Barker

Alumni
Date:

Homer wrote:

The only goalie controversy is in the minds of the instant gratification fandom set who aren't in touch with reality.

So the twitter-verse and some Sun *cough, cough* sports reporters

DING DING DING DING DING!!!! 

That's the correct answer!  Canuck, tell the man what he has won!

Alumni
Date:

The only goalie controversy is in the minds of the instant gratification fandom set who aren't in touch with reality.

So the twitter-verse and some Sun *cough, cough* sports reporters

Alumni
Date:

SensKat wrote:

No controversy. Andy is #1 until proven otherwise.

Exactly right.   Anderson had an average year last year, especially compared to the year before, but he's a proven #1 goalie while Lehner is a potential #1 who had a LOT of rebound problems, confidence problems and got rattled by teams at will last season.   It's not a level playing field; Anderson is the starter and Lehner is the backup.   I imagine that down the road there will be a more even distribution of games between the two, but for now Anderson is the starter.  

Jedi Master
Date:

No controversy. Andy is #1 until proven otherwise. That net belongs to him by rights, and I hope he goes out there and absolutely owns it this year.

Alumni
Date:

Lehner signed, Anderson signed, this is great for Ottawa

LET THE GOALTENDING CONTROVERSIES BEGIN !!

Alumni
Date:

Agent Orange wrote:

I almost expect an 3 year front loaded extension for Anderson at this point. A good 1A/1B situation to have.

Anderson, will be 34 when his current deal is up. He doesn't have the track record over his career to likely score a final big money starter contract at that age. I could see him accepting a transition role and playing full time backup the final 1.5 years of the extension.

Well, well, well...

Alumni
Date:

Just a crazy thought.

Is it strange to kinda wish for Lehner not quite living up to expectations next year so Andersson gets to play enough to sign an extension here. I'd really like him to sign for a few years somewhere in the $3-4 M range. He would make a great backup IMO.

Or would Andy see the writing on the wall anyway and test the market (wouldn't blame him).

Alumni
Date:

I like this one. I wouldn't mind Anderson being extended and have them fight out who is going to be 1A. Very reasonable, this way Eugene probably gets to have the lowest payroll in the NHL.

Rookie
Date:

This is a brilliant "bridge-esque" deal....

Good for both sides, with a slight advantage to the Team. I say that cause Lehner has three years to take it to the next level, challenging him to earn the right for the big dollar contract, but what's better is that he will still be an RFA at the end of the three years. We aren't married to him if things go to **** and won't be at risk of him walking as a UFA. We can accept the risk of the bridge yielding a big contract in three years too, cap floor - budget aside. Challenge a competitive guy like that and you can see a $5M dollar a year goalie for the bargain price of $2.2M.

Now to nail down the three upcoming RFA's....

Confident Fan
Date:

Bishop signs:
In 108 games with the Blues, Senators and Lightning, Bishop is 55-31-11 with eight shutouts, a 2.40 goals-against average and .920 save percentage.
Financial terms were not disclosed, but it is worth $5.95 million per season, according to Pierre LeBrun of ESPN.com.

Right this minute he's the best of the 3 and by far the highest paid

Confident Fan
Date:

Agent Orange wrote:

I almost expect an 3 year front loaded extension for Anderson at this point. A good 1A/1B situation to have.

Anderson, will be 34 when his current deal is up. He doesn't have the track record over his career to likely score a final big money starter contract at that age. I could see him accepting a transition role and playing full time backup the final 1.5 years of the extension.

Something like that would be great, Lehner should be the full time starter in the next year or two if he keeps progressing.

Alumni
Date:

Alumni
Date:

Very good deal for both sides. 

Pan
Alumni
Date:

I like Anderson, but don't see why he'd want to extend now knowing that the team will be pushing for Lehner to be the starter sooner than later. That said, if you move Andy (which I would prefer to move at trade deadline rather than the start of the year) you HAVE to get a veteran backup that can push for playing time. Lehner always played better when he was challenged for starts, either with Andy or Bishop.

Although he's only 23 and most goalies are ready to be starters closer to 26-27, I feel that with his raw talent, he's only a year or so away from being ready for the starting role.

Jedi Master
Date:

I was surprised at how reasonable the numbers are, all things considered.

Zinfandel Expert
Date:

I like the numbers. for me it is just a wait and see thing for Lehner.

Alumni
Date:

When I saw the article on nhl.com I came here immediately to see what's been said. I dunno about the rest of you but I breathed a sigh of relief. Like Kardinal said - he's had a lot of struggles but I think he has the makings to be a really great number 1 in the future.

Here's the article if interested in the particulars

-- Edited by Spezzial-Delivery on Thursday 31st of July 2014 02:41:05 PM

Alumni
Date:

The team just announced that The Lehner has been signed to a 3yr / $6.675M deal ($1.5M / $2.025M / $3.15M) for a cap hit of $2.225M per season.  This will take him to UFA -1 year.   

I think it's a reasonable amount for a goalie who's still not a proven starter and who had flashes of brilliance last year but also had a LOT of struggles.

Page 1 of 1  sorted by
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.