Date:
RE: Lightning @ Habs- Finals Game 3 - Friday July 2nd, 8:00pm

Homer wrote:
Cathy wrote:
SensKat wrote:
Cathy wrote:
Homer wrote:
SensKat wrote:

So further to the conversation last game.... Lytton, BC was 90% burned. They still don't know how many casualties. It's a small town, but the pictures of the devastation are just awful

yeah, very small town of only 249 in 2016 census. Not sure if they have a town siren for emergencies being in the middle of a forest. Only so many roads in and out. Hope they weren't blocked fire sweeping across. Likely several pets lost 

Saw a question on reddit, someone asking about what happens if you're denied fire insurance. Someone reponded, how do you possibly get denied for fire insurance?

OP: I'm in BC.

Turns out he's actually pretty close to a fire station but other people were chiming in about being so remote (in other areas) that fire services aren't available.

I can't even imagine. Recent developments have me rethinking the value of urban sprawl and city living.

It's a problem - there are cases too where if you are outside of the coverage zone for the local fire department, you may have to choose between letting your house burn down, or paying the cost of having the fire department show up, or continue to battle the fire.

Similarly there are sections of Alberta now where flood insurance is not available after the 2013 flood.

Geez, that was 8 years ago already?

Going on now in Calgary.... 

https://twitter.com/I_Am_The_Storm_/status/1411125439112773632?s=20

Y'all have oil pipeline all over can't you just ship that to BC?

I know Canada is big, and there's also a big a** mountain range in between, but I can't wrap my head around those being adjoining provinces.

Jedi Master
Date:

Cathy wrote:
SensKat wrote:

Sorry Cathy, I just realized that the Toonie for scale probably doesn't mean that much to you.... lol

No worries, I'll just google the diameter...

"28 mm"

Well *THAT* doesn't friggin help!

I thought a little bigger than our quarter, close enough. 

our quarter is the same size as yours, so this might help

Canadian Coins on a White Background

-- Edited by SensKat on Friday 2nd of July 2021 09:28:52 PM

Jedi Master
Date:

Homer wrote:
Cathy wrote:
SensKat wrote:
Cathy wrote:
Homer wrote:
SensKat wrote:

So further to the conversation last game.... Lytton, BC was 90% burned. They still don't know how many casualties. It's a small town, but the pictures of the devastation are just awful

yeah, very small town of only 249 in 2016 census. Not sure if they have a town siren for emergencies being in the middle of a forest. Only so many roads in and out. Hope they weren't blocked fire sweeping across. Likely several pets lost 

Saw a question on reddit, someone asking about what happens if you're denied fire insurance. Someone reponded, how do you possibly get denied for fire insurance?

Turns out he's actually pretty close to a fire station but other people were chiming in about being so remote (in other areas) that fire services aren't available.

I can't even imagine. Recent developments have me rethinking the value of urban sprawl and city living.

It's a problem - there are cases too where if you are outside of the coverage zone for the local fire department, you may have to choose between letting your house burn down, or paying the cost of having the fire department show up, or continue to battle the fire.

Similarly there are sections of Alberta now where flood insurance is not available after the 2013 flood.

Crazy part is that is a "normal" spring storm in that area now.

I know people whose houses were torn up really badly in one of those last summer, and it still hasn't been fixed because of insurance delays, lack of resources to fix the amount of damage, etc.....  Going to be a bad one

Alumni
Date:

SensKat wrote:

Sorry Cathy, I just realized that the Toonie for scale probably doesn't mean that much to you.... lol

No worries, I'll just google the diameter...

"28 mm"

Well *THAT* doesn't friggin help!

I thought a little bigger than our quarter, close enough. 

Alumni
Date:

SensKat wrote:

It's a bit bigger than a Loonie.

Alumni
Date:

Homer wrote:
Cathy wrote:
Homer wrote:
Cathy wrote:
SensKat wrote:

Just watched a few seconds of video of someone driving out of town, that's less rural than I was assuming. I was expecting something more like Paradise, pretty much literally houses in the middle of the woods.

People wouldn't wear masks to protect their own health, people aren't going to go cold turkey on fossil fuels to prevent another town, 1000 miles away, from burning down or to prevent a coastal village, halfway around the world, from going underwater.

That was Cathy's uplifting comment of the day, my work here is done.

Then this in the Gulf of Mexico.  We are ****ed.

https://twitter.com/EoinHiggins_/status/1411075158006284290

Were that a movie I would think it a very awesome special effect.

I'm by no means suicidal but I have been asking, "What the hell are we doing?" and "What the hell is the point?" quite a few times in the six months or so.

Mother Nature: "I have had it with these motherf***ing humans on my motherf***ing planet!"

Oh, yeah, that b*tch is pissed.

Alumni
Date:

Cathy wrote:
SensKat wrote:
Cathy wrote:
Homer wrote:
SensKat wrote:

Jedi Master
Date:

Jedi Master
Date:

Hail coming down in Calgary right now.....

Alumni
Date:

Cathy wrote:
Homer wrote:
Cathy wrote:
SensKat wrote:

Just watched a few seconds of video of someone driving out of town, that's less rural than I was assuming. I was expecting something more like Paradise, pretty much literally houses in the middle of the woods.

People wouldn't wear masks to protect their own health, people aren't going to go cold turkey on fossil fuels to prevent another town, 1000 miles away, from burning down or to prevent a coastal village, halfway around the world, from going underwater.

I'm by no means suicidal but I have been asking, "What the hell are we doing?" and "What the hell is the point?" quite a few times in the six months or so.

Mother Nature: "I have had it with these motherf***ing humans on my motherf***ing planet!"

Alumni
Date:

SensKat wrote:
Cathy wrote:
Homer wrote:
SensKat wrote:

Alumni
Date:

Homer wrote:
Cathy wrote:
SensKat wrote:

Jedi Master
Date:

Cathy wrote:
Homer wrote:
SensKat wrote:

Alumni
Date:

SensKat wrote:

did you guys dab the timeout?

That we did.

Alumni
Date:

SensKat wrote:

I noted in the 2nd TB goal post, our cards didn't have it.

Alumni
Date:

Homer wrote:
SensKat wrote:

Alumni
Date:

Cathy wrote:
SensKat wrote:

Jedi Master
Date:

Alumni
Date:

SensKat wrote:

This was an interesting read about what is going on in the West right now too:

www.sfgate.com/weather/article/pyrocumulonimbus-British-Columbia-lightning-Canada-16287681.php

I have no frame of reference but...that seems like a lot of lightning.

A little click-baity since 85% of the 700k were intra-cloud, but 112k in 15 hours is still...2 per second? Did I do that math right?!

Jedi Master
Date:

Homer wrote:
SensKat wrote:

I read one very heartbreaking account of a man who was trying to get his parents out, got them into a ditch in the hopes of the fire skipping over the top of them, and then tried to run himself.... only to watch a tree fall on the place his parents were hiding.

No idea if it's true.  But damn.

«First  <  1 2 3 4 5 6 7  >  Last»  | Page of 7  sorted by
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.