Password 
    Remember Me  

Topic: NHL suspends season

Post Info
Confident Fan
Date:
RE: NHL suspends season

Spezzial-Delivery wrote:

I remember on the last day my hockey league was open, we all kind of sat around in the dressing room after the game and someone commented. "Wow it would be really easy to spread something" that's just the nature of sports... you're always sweating and in close contact with people. Winnipeg is forcing the Jets to self isolate for 14 days until they can practice so I wonder how that's going to go and if anyone will be bringing covid in.

That's a good point Spezz, it could be easy without protocols in place and if you're not millionaire athletes.  Spain, Italy, Germany, Portugal, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Turkey, Switzerland, Mexico and even Russia is playing futbol and I admit I rarely watch or read the news but I haven't seen on Twitter outbreaks in their leagues. I watch Spain and England closely and haven't heard of any players infected.  It can be done w common sense and a sense of cooperation.  Which young people and nut cases here in American have very little of either.  Out where I live still haven't known anyone or heard of anyone who knows anyone personally that's been sick. I'm in Seattle, Portland and Tacoma a lot too. So go figure?!?

Alumni
Date:

I remember on the last day my hockey league was open, we all kind of sat around in the dressing room after the game and someone commented. "Wow it would be really easy to spread something" that's just the nature of sports... you're always sweating and in close contact with people. Winnipeg is forcing the Jets to self isolate for 14 days until they can practice so I wonder how that's going to go and if anyone will be bringing covid in.

Jedi Master
Date:

The Blues have reportedly shut down practices again due to multiple positive Covid tests....

Pie Connoisseur
Date:

tjlincoln wrote:
senior wrote:

Interesting discussion the other day on some US sports program. They were discussing the NBA but could have been any team sport. They were talking about what would happen if a team had a bunch of players test positive and had to be quarantined and couldn't play. The other players on the team would obviously have been exposed to the infected players. Would they have to quarantine the whole team? How about other teams they had played? If a team doesn't have enough players available to ice or field a team, what happens? Do they default any games they can't play. Could they be disqualified from the playoffs or tournament. The championship could be determined by which team manages to stay virus free.

Twenty somethings and teenagers want this virus, when you have that level of stupidity I don't see how they finish these seasons unless every sport is moved up into Canada where adults seem to be running things at least when it comes to public health.

10 thousand new cases in Florida in one day.

Confident Fan
Date:

senior wrote:

Interesting discussion the other day on some US sports program. They were discussing the NBA but could have been any team sport. They were talking about what would happen if a team had a bunch of players test positive and had to be quarantined and couldn't play. The other players on the team would obviously have been exposed to the infected players. Would they have to quarantine the whole team? How about other teams they had played? If a team doesn't have enough players available to ice or field a team, what happens? Do they default any games they can't play. Could they be disqualified from the playoffs or tournament. The championship could be determined by which team manages to stay virus free.

Twenty somethings and teenagers want this virus, when you have that level of stupidity I don't see how they finish these seasons unless every sport is moved up into Canada where adults seem to be running things at least when it comes to public health.

Pie Connoisseur
Date:

Alumni
Date:

To be honest I kind of don't want them up here? For that exact reason. Our cases (in Winnipeg) are low but will never disappear because truckers keep bringing the virus back from the US). The less people we have coming back the better. The US is already screwed.

Confident Fan
Date:

If anyone on here gives a crap anymore I think both Hub cities if this even happens should be in Canada since the Governments have did an overall great job compared to the US in slowing the spread of C-19. Why Bettman or the PA would want it in the US is a terrible idea with all the new cases popping up everywhere all over the country. Edmonton and Vancouver would be the safest by far but Toronto is in the Eastern time zone. I hope they can play since European futbol will just be ending and I doubt now that the NBA or MLB will ever get off the ground and playing, could be wrong.

Confident Fan
Date:

SensKat wrote:

Ea6a-TmWkAA0tLU?format=jpg&name=medium

Here in the United States of Stupidity the 20 somethings in Texas Florida California Tennessee Washington etc have decided the virus is over for them so f the masks because they have constitutional rights (I heard that in a store that required masks). Its funny in Europe where people listen to Doctors instead of politicians the fùtbol games go on.

Jedi Master
Date:

Ea6a-TmWkAA0tLU?format=jpg&name=medium

Alumni
Date:

I know the NHL must be hemmoraging money right now but it makes me wonder if the Leafs or Pens weren't in the playoffs right now would they just have cancelled the season?

Jedi Master
Date:

I really have no interest in watching hockey in August. Having a hard time caring about hockey at all right now, tbh....

Maybe I'll feel differently when it's actually back, but at this point it just seems so... unimportant

Alumni
Date:

If it affects Toronto they'll probably adjust it so they can still have it. "Grandfather" in a clause or something. The first month hockey stopped I went literally crazy. The next month I just started doing other things and now I don't really miss it that much. But also yeah, the Sens would be done anyway so maybe that helps. I will definitely miss it once winter comes back though.

Alumni
Date:

I think I will have an interest in hockey if/when it returns, but I’m not drooling over it right now. We’re about 80 days into the pause and from the sketchy outline we’ve had so far, about 80 days away from the start of the playoffs, so I’m not getting primed for interest in something that isn’t guaranteed to happen. If it does, it will have r been a longer “off-season” than a regular summertime. The draft, and the lottery.....that I am still interested in as that pertains more to the Senators future than any fancy-schmancy playoff scheme. I’m also reeeeeeeeaaaasaalllllly interested in what is going to happen with the salary cap and how that affects the Toronto Auston Matthews.

Pie Connoisseur
Date:

Was watching TSN today and they were discussing all the things that have to be worked out before they can restart the season/playoff, the playoff structure, who's playing who, etc. I realized I didn't care. I've lost all interest in hockey this season. Not interested in hockey in July and August.

Alumni
Date:

I would not want the Jets going into the US - that's a mess I don't wish on anyone.

Alumni
Date:

“That’s four, for number 44!” This is the game on the radio tonight, starting at 1900h EDT (not the usual 1800h).

Alumni
Date:

Betty can’t just stick a fork in the season for one simple reason: $$$. The end of the season isn’t that important, but the playoffs are huge in terms of league revenue. Remember, the profits from first round games (the first four or the entire first round? I can’t remember) go to the LEAGUE, and subsequent games go to the teams. No playoffs means a substantial revenue hit for teams, team revenue sharing, the league, and HRR which impacts escrow and the cap. Players paid approx 13% escrow in 2018-2019 and got back about 3%, while the teams and league kept the rest. Imagine what this year would look like? Hey player (who is still being paid right now), give me back 35% of what you made. Oh? UFA? Too bad.

Alumni
Date:

"Bettman: No Olympics gives NHL ‘broader window’ to play in summer"

https://www.tsn.ca/gary-bettman-no-olympics-gives-nhl-broader-window-to-play-in-summer-1.1464116

Is he delusional?

Every province/sate that has a team would have to allow sporting events.  I don't see that happening any time soon. 

Put a fork in it.  End the season. Have the draft remotely. Screw the Sens out of a possible 1st round pick. Hope to start the next season on time. 

Alumni
Date:

2017 round 1 Game 6 vs BOS tonight.

«First  <  1 2 3 4 5  >  Last»  | Page of 5  sorted by
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.