Post Info
Regular
Date:
RE: 2014 off-season signings / trades / etc

canuck wrote:

Metal makes everything better. 

Confident Fan
Date:

Boyle would have been perfect for Ottawa if they didn't already sign an over the hill defenseman with a multi year contract. You can never have enough puck moving defensemen who do actually get the puck out unlike that defenseman that was given a multi year contract mentioned earlier in this tweet, Boyle wasn't the problem here in SanJose that's for damn sure.

Alumni
Date:

hey, twitter is perfect for quick, cheesy jokes. what more could you want?

Pie Connoisseur
Date:

Didn't realize he was that old. Better they work with the young guys we have now.
And by the way, the grumpy old guy thing is my thing. So back off.

Alumni
Date:

Alumni
Date:

It's a medium that by it's vary nature (short on content, fast delivery) caters to the instant gratification, short-on-thinking, do-it-now mentality of a certain group of fans. I find it amusing in a pathetic sort of way, and I like to point it out. If that makes me the grumpy old guy, well, I've been called worse. :)

Alumni
Date:

Quick picking on Twitter Kardinal or we'll officially call you the grumpy old guy ;)

Alumni
Date:

There were cries from a certain section of the Senators fanbase (ie/ Twitter) that the Sens should go after Boyle.  He's still got game and he's from Ottawa, but he's also 37 years old and we already have quite a number of blueliners under contract.   Of course, fandom and common sense seem to be dichotomous these days. 

Pie Connoisseur
Date:

Is he any good anymore?

Alumni
Date:

The SJS have traded the rights to Dan Boyle to NYI for a 5th round pick. It'll be interesting to see if he signs there or not.

Alumni
Date:

tjlincoln wrote:

didn't they trade a 3rd rounder for that Russian from the BlueJackets, whatever his name was. Murray likes taking chances with his 3rd rounders

I believe you are referring to GMBM's trade of a 2011-3rd to Columbus for Nikita "I don't do defence" Filatov.  But hey....the Sens still have his NHL rights.

Confident Fan
Date:

didn't they trade a 3rd rounder for that Russian from the BlueJackets, whatever his name was. Murray likes taking chances with his 3rd rounders

Alumni
Date:

Two prospects that have not been signed:

Jarrod Maidens (OHL - Owen Sound Attack) who was a 2012-3rd round pick for the Senators, will not be signed and will be going back into the draft. He was forecast as a 1st round pick but a concussion issue in his draft year dropped him to the 3rd round so the Senators gambled on his recovery. Sadly, he hasn't played a game since then and is still having post-concussion problems.

Francois Brassard (QMJHL Quebec Ramparts) who was a 2012-6th round pick for the Senators will also be going back into the draft. The Sens signed Driedger who was drafted the same year, and have Hogberg (2013-3rd round) in the pipes as well, and with Hammond having a good season in Bingo things are a bit crowded in the blue paint in the future. The news had it that the Senators were shopping his rights since they signed Driedger on April 1st, but apparently haven't found any takers.

Alumni
Date:

Russell wrote:

I had big hopes for Pageau but he showed nothing during his call ups last season. that was disappointing. not sure what his upside is now.

I think he's a #5 C, but on this team I don't see him going higher in the depth chart than that, even as a winger.  Spezza, Turris, Zibanejad, Smith, Lazar (in another year or two)....I don't see a spot for an undersized centre as the WCF has shown how valuable size is at that position.

I'd like to see him get a chance in another organization that isn't as deep at C, as both he and Derek Grant are good 4th line centres on a team with better ones.

Alumni
Date:

I had big hopes for Pageau but he showed nothing during his call ups last season. that was disappointing. not sure what his upside is now.

Alumni
Date:

Both McCormick and Wikstrand are draft picks, not college free agents like Winchester, DaCosta or Conacher. As for where they are picked, Mark Stone (2010-6th) vs Shane Prince (2011-2nd) vs Jean-Gabriel Pageau (2011-4th) vs Matt Puempel (2011-1st)....it's all about having the prospect and developing them, not necessarily what round they were drafted in. Whether they come straight from the CHL or go to a US university, some players need more time in the minors than others and we would do better to follow the Detroit model (get them over-ready in the AHL) rather than the Toronto one (rush a prospect to the NHL to be a saviour / placate fans).

As for UFA signings, if we don't get Hemsky I'm not really sure who I'd be interested in this season, as it's not a big crop nor a spectacular one and I *really* don't want to get tied to a Clarkson-like contract: overpaid, overlength, underachiver. It'll be interesting to see where Vanek goes and for how much/long as he's looked pretty mail-it-in during the playoffs for Montreal.

Here is the complete list of UFAs.  To me, it's either end-of their-career types, or players who are going to want an expensive and long-term contract.  I don't see much in the way of another Clarke MacArthur type, but GMBM pulled that one off last year so perhaps he'll be able to do it again.

Pan
Alumni
Date:

Just looked it up. Man Neil scored a lot in junior!

Pan
Alumni
Date:

No offense but the signing of these 6th round picks and College free agents really doesn't excite me, especially since we're probably missing our entire first line right now. The previous college guys that we have had are like DaCosta, Conacher, Butler. Really not guys to write home about. I get that depth is important but watching the playoffs this year, the organization as a whole is WAY behind. I just want to see something better at the NHL level and with a 20% spike in my ticket costs this year, I'm not really willing to pay more so that Melnyk can use that to pay down his debt. Fans don't buy for that..

Pan
Alumni
Date:

For grNt, I think it depends if DaCosta leaves to the KHL or not, and if they expect JGP to make the NHL

Alumni
Date:

I was thinking along the same lines, but I didn't hear much about Grant after his 20 games in Ottawa, but I heard Luke Richardson on two different occasions say how pleased he was with Cowick's play and work ethic. They may both be back, as Cowick is a winger and Grant is a centre and they don't play the same game.

«First  <  17 8 9 10  >  Last»  | Page of 10  sorted by
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.