Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  

Topic: 2014 off-season signings / trades / etc

Post Info
Alumni
Date:
RE: 2014 off-season signings / trades / etc

BIG NEWS: the Montreal Canadiens have send Louis Leblanc, their 2009 1st round pick (18th overall), to Anaheim in exchange for a 2015 5th round pick. As a quick refresher, Ottawa's 1st round pick in 2009 was.....Jared Cowen at 9th overall.

OTHER BIG NEWS: the Habs have signed Therrien to a 4 year extension. Four more years of no rispek!

Confident Fan
Date:

If I was GMBM I'd do that trade, straight up Yandle for Spezza. it's almost salary for salary too

Pan
Alumni
Date:

I'd love Yandle!!! Plus he's a left hand shot!!!

Confident Fan
Date:

And a rumor about Spezza:

Spezza has been linked to the Anaheim Ducks by many hockey insiders and that makes tons of sense considering both teams’ needs and financial situations. But I’d keep an eye on the Phoenix Coyotes and defenseman Keith Yandle. According to multiple NHL sources, a bevy of teams are once again inquiring about Yandle who is a regular on the rumour circuit heading into the trade deadline. The Coyotes could definitely use a center of Spezza’s ilk and there could be a match there as Spezza might like going to a non-hockey market where he doesn’t have to deal with the scrutiny he did in Ottawa.

Spezza would really feel at home in Phoenix playing for another Budget team

-- Edited by tjlincoln on Thursday 12th of June 2014 10:29:02 PM

Confident Fan
Date:

Here's a nice juicy rumor:

Well on Thursday two NHL sources told “Murph’s Musings” that the Bruins and the San Jose Sharks have had talks about a possible trade that would send Marchand to San Jose and veteran forward Patrick Marleau to Boston. There were no specific details on if any other players or picks would also be involved but it’s worth keeping an eye on.

Confident Fan
Date:

Pan wrote:

TJ, I did mean I would prefer Boyle over Phillips. I honestly think that the team will regret that second year.

I agree completely with that Pan, I was trying to be funny by saying you were wrong. Don't ever give us a chance to give a thumbs up or thumbs down on our posts.   I'd get bumped out of the forums and thrown out with all the thumbs down.

Alumni
Date:

Kardinal wrote:
senior wrote:

Bad news for Habs fans. ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/nhl-fining-coaches--teams-for-diving-is-brilliant-idea-171721174.html

Oh dear.....whatever will they do to keep their PP-to-PK ratio so positive?

We discussed this years ago with Pierre McGuire on the show. Fine or suspend Players for diving using the tape after the game. Diving would stop immediately. 

Alumni
Date:

www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Travis-Yost/Snake-Oil/134/60432
Terrifying possibilities!

-- Edited by labru on Thursday 12th of June 2014 03:59:27 AM

Alumni
Date:

senior wrote:

Sens are not a cup contender. Not even close. But I do believe they are a team that should make the playoffs and maybe win a round or two.

In this condition? Not a chance pal!

Alumni
Date:

Kardinal wrote:

There were cries from a certain section of the Senators fanbase (ie/ Twitter) that the Sens should go after Boyle.  He's still got game and he's from Ottawa, but he's also 37 years old and we already have quite a number of blueliners under contract.   Of course, fandom and common sense seem to be dichotomous these days. 

But he would definitely add to the quality of our (abysmal) D. Cap space enough...

Not gonna happen though.

Alumni
Date:

senior wrote:

Bad news for Habs fans. ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/nhl-fining-coaches--teams-for-diving-is-brilliant-idea-171721174.html

Oh dear.....whatever will they do to keep their PP-to-PK ratio so positive?

Pie Connoisseur
Date:
Pan
Alumni
Date:

Considering that last season was the first time in 6 years that the Sens actually won a round, it seems that baby steps are the way to go. That said, they need to get Melnyk to shut up! Cup in 2 years my ass!

Pie Connoisseur
Date:

Sens are not a cup contender. Not even close. But I do believe they are a team that should make the playoffs and maybe win a round or two.

Alumni
Date:

Last night, I realized that there might be a significant and fundamental discrepancy in language with hockey fans as a whole and Sens fans in particular:

Cup contender vs playoff contender

There seems to be a lot of talk about the Senators being finished the rebuild process and therefore the team should now be a "Cup contender". I don't think so, as there are perhaps a half dozen (at most) teams I'd put in that category. Would anyone have said that about NYR at the beginning of the season? I wouldn't have, to be sure. IMO, Cup contenders are the PIT/BOS/LAK/CHI/SJS/ANA of the league. There are lots of teams that would contend to make the playoffs, and from there they are 'in the game', but not automatic assumption of being in the ECF / WCF.

I think the Senators are good enough to make the playoffs, and they've done that twice in the past three seasons, but I think it's important to set realistic goals/targets rather than simply state that the team 'should' be a Cup contender just because a time line, set three seasons ago, is now finished. And stating it "because the Euge said so" is just lame, given how most people who would say that actually feel about Mr Melnyk.

Pan
Alumni
Date:

TJ, I did mean I would prefer Boyle over Phillips. I honestly think that the team will regret that second year.

Confident Fan
Date:

OK, I admit it Pan was wrong!!!!

Alumni
Date:

The team also has 7 D under contract so far for next year, plus Gryba as an RFA. Having money is one thing; having a roster that works is another. If the team can move a couple of blueliners, sure, if not, are we going to carry 8 for the season or risk losing an asset to waivers if we need an extra forward for a road trip? That isn't good business sense, it's standing at a wishing well.

I also doubt Boyle will sign for 2 years; I'm guessing he's going to want 3 unless he's somewhere where he already has a home (California and Florida, from what I've heard). I don't think a "hometown discount" would apply to Ottawa unless the salary is big enough in only two years to cover what he'd make in the third one. He's been making $6.67M for the past six years, which is more than EK65 is paid. Sign for 2 years and for less than that to play in Ottawa, when there are surely teams out there (like NYI) who'll pay him $7M and sign a 3 year deal? I don't see it.

Confident Fan
Date:

Pan is right, if he wants to finish up in his hometown that would be great. the team has the cap space for a lot of things.

Pan
Alumni
Date:

I don't see why "fandom" would be wrong with wanting Boyle on Ottawa. Although he's 6 months older than Phillips, he could be another guy on the power play to help out and does also have a scoring touch and true leadership. I doubt that he even expects to be signed for more than 2 years. He's better than Phillips hands down

«First  <  16 7 8 9 10  >  Last»  | Page of 10  sorted by
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.