Remember Me  

Topic: Melnyk speaks.... badly. Again.

Post Info
Confident Fan
Date:
RE: Melnyk speaks.... badly. Again.

senior wrote:
Spezzial-Delivery wrote:

This made the cbc.ca front page because.. Canada I guess? In the comments someone mentioned low attendance could be blowback from the disastrous Pheonix Pay system and employees not being paid. No money in Ottawa = no ticket purchases. Think there's any validity to that?

It has a lot to do with attendance problems. People outside Ottawa just do not understand the effect this has had on the city. They had a special on the Phoenix mess on the news this week and some of the stories they told were terrible. They said over 200,000 public servants (nation wide) have had problems with their pay. Some have not been paid for months. People have lost their homes or been evicted because they couldn't make mortgage or rent payments. They have had to spend their life savings. They have had to re-mortgage their homes, borrowed from family and friends. One woman had to quit her government job and take a lower paying job in the private sector because she just couldn't wait any longer for a pay cheque. Some have been over paid and are afraid that the government is going to suddenly demand repayment. These people are not spending because they don't know when or how much they will have to repay. People who are being paid are afraid to apply for job competitions because of stories of people who changed jobs and stopped getting paid. And of course in a city like Ottawa that is so dependent on government jobs, these problems affect may other businesses that rely on public servants spending. And it may take years for things to get Phoenix working, if they can ever get it fixed.

whoa!!!!  wait a minute are u telling me that people are quitting legitimate government jobs because they aren't getting paid???  I don't doubt you Senior I've just never heard of such of thing in a Western Democracy, sure in South America or some other bent government around the world but here in NorthAmerica?  Here in the states the lawsuits would be flying and it would be all over CNBC, Bloomberg and every financial channel 24-7 if people were losing their homes because the government wasn't paying people for the work they've done.  That's a frikkin nightmare to the people involved and Eugene the idiot should know this since he supposedly lives in that government town.  That's amazingly bad.

Confident Fan
Date:

Russell wrote:

He just gave his franchise, generational player every reason to move on. ****ing idiot.  

Confident Fan
Date:

Sens Callups‏
@SensCallUps
42m42 minutes ago
More
Twas the nightmare before Christmas at all all time low
Not a game the Sens were winning, even against Buffalo
Not DUCHENE! ANDY! KARLSSON nor BRASS
Could pull a reg. win out of their collective A**
And onto the radio, the owner did pout
To which the town united cried #MelnykOut

Just in case this isn't on here

Pie Connoisseur
Date:

Spezzial-Delivery wrote:

This made the cbc.ca front page because.. Canada I guess? In the comments someone mentioned low attendance could be blowback from the disastrous Pheonix Pay system and employees not being paid. No money in Ottawa = no ticket purchases. Think there's any validity to that?

It has a lot to do with attendance problems. People outside Ottawa just do not understand the effect this has had on the city. They had a special on the Phoenix mess on the news this week and some of the stories they told were terrible. They said over 200,000 public servants (nation wide) have had problems with their pay. Some have not been paid for months. People have lost their homes or been evicted because they couldn't make mortgage or rent payments. They have had to spend their life savings. They have had to re-mortgage their homes, borrowed from family and friends. One woman had to quit her government job and take a lower paying job in the private sector because she just couldn't wait any longer for a pay cheque. Some have been over paid and are afraid that the government is going to suddenly demand repayment. These people are not spending because they don't know when or how much they will have to repay. People who are being paid are afraid to apply for job competitions because of stories of people who changed jobs and stopped getting paid. And of course in a city like Ottawa that is so dependent on government jobs, these problems affect may other businesses that rely on public servants spending. And it may take years for things to get Phoenix working, if they can ever get it fixed.

Alumni
Date:

Spezzial-Delivery wrote:

yes, its part of it.

Alumni
Date:

Alumni
Date:

He just gave his franchise, generational player every reason to move on. ****ing idiot.  

Jedi Master
Date:

Not only that, but he essentially said that there is no way he is going to pay the salary that Karlsson is going to want.

"Make no mistake about it, there's a direct relationship that's going to start between revenues and how much you spend on players"

Alumni
Date:

WOW! Did Melnyk really just threaten to move our team right to our face?

That's a great way to win over your fan base....."Buy tickets now or we'll move a**holes!"

Betman is probably sporting a huge chubby now, just at the sheer mention of "relocation". That's his favorite word.

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/melnyk-fires-warning-shots-at-ottawa-fan-base~1285632

Jedi Master
Date:

http://ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/ottawa-senators/exclusive-senators-owner-melynk-not-selling-the-team-period

There’s no “For sale” sign on the Ottawa Senators.

Team owner Eugene Melnyk told Postmedia in an email on Wednesday night he wanted to set the record straight about reports his team had been sold, rumours captain Erik Karlsson is being traded and to respond to comments by former Ottawa centre Kyle Turris.

“I am NOT selling the team — period,” said Melnyk in the email. “My kids (had) first call on the franchise long ago.”

Melnyk, 58, said the source of the talk he’s selling may be the result of a routine refinancing of the team’s debt he’s working on right now.

“Let me set the record straight. I have no idea how a reporter fabricated a fiction about my selling the team,” Melnyk said. “These stories pop up out of nowhere probably from someone ‘hearing something’.

“(The) only thing I can think of is our routine refinancing of our debt involves a financial ‘roadshow’. Virtually every major Canadian, international and American bank have attended one of over 20 presentations in Toronto, Ottawa and New York.

“This involves accountants, bankers and lawyers. I am not directly involved in this process except for the occasional visit and greetings. Hence, where the sale story must have come from.”

Melnyk said part of the reason the Senators had to request Karlsson’s 10-team “no-trade” list was because of the refinancing.

“This is where the (Karlsson) contract request emanated from,” Melnyk added. “ALL material contracts are reviewed in a process called due diligence — from snow removal to food and beverage to players.”

Melnyk added, jokingly: “I assure you (Karlsson) is ‘material’. ”

Melnyk also addressed Turris’ accusations that the club’s owner didn’t want him in Ottawa. Turris told The Canadian Press on Tuesday in Vancouver that, “It’s tough because I think management did want to sign me, but I think that the owner (Melnyk) didn’t. And that was his decision.”

Later on Tuesday, Ian Mendes of TSN tweeted that Senators GM Pierre Dorion said “Everything in the hockey department goes through me — not Mr. Melnyk,” to which Turris’ wife, Julie, tweeted “lol.”

Melnyk said he pays Dorion “big bucks” so that he can manage hockey operations.

“He makes the decisions and only has to get a sign-off from me when it involves the movement of a A or B player — coming in or going out,” Melnyk said. “I can’t remember ever overriding a Pierre Dorion decision.

“He has the grit and the passion to do what is right for the club and right or wrong — he takes the applause and the boos. He does an excellent job. I am pleased with his performance.”

Melnyk also noted he believes coach Guy Boucher and the staff are doing “a terrific job” and is confident the Senators can get back on track to push for a playoff spot.

He ended his email statement by emphasizing that he’d rather fans and critics to focus on the excitement of having an NHL outdoor game in Ottawa, an event that took a lot of lobbying to make a reality.

The Senators will face the Montreal Canadiens Saturday night at Lansdowne Park in front of more than 36,000 people.

“I understand that it may be a slow news month but some of the nonsense is laughable,” Melnyk said.

“Let’s concentrate on some of the good things I do decide on — like bringing an Outdoor Game to Ottawa.

“Yes, that was my call — and with a financial guarantee! I guess people quickly forget.”

Sigh.  What a gong show.  He should really just shut his mouth.

Page 1 of 1  sorted by
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.