Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  

Topic: Paul Maclean Fired

Post Info
Alumni
Date:
RE: Paul Maclean Fired

Haha I agree. There's still many months left for a famous Leaf collapse. I still have my 'Happy Leafs elimination day' picture that I keep for those occaisions

Confident Fan
Date:

Russell wrote:
tjlincoln wrote:

just a year and a half ago, Ottawa beats the Habs in the playoffs and Toronto blows a 3 goal lead in a 7th game vs Boston and miss the playoffs last year too.
Now MacLean is fired, Toronto is hot as heck and moving up and just beat the Cup winning Kings and the Habs are top of the East and looking as good as they have in years. This sucks!!!!

re:leafs.....patience...patience. the leafs will fold. its inevitable.

Thank you for bringing some Holiday joy to the website smile

Alumni
Date:

tjlincoln wrote:

just a year and a half ago, Ottawa beats the Habs in the playoffs and Toronto blows a 3 goal lead in a 7th game vs Boston and miss the playoffs last year too.
Now MacLean is fired, Toronto is hot as heck and moving up and just beat the Cup winning Kings and the Habs are top of the East and looking as good as they have in years. This sucks!!!!

re:leafs.....patience...patience. the leafs will fold. its inevitable.

Confident Fan
Date:

Alumni
Date:

Cameron has two years remaining on his contract.

Perfect timing to be let go at the end of the 2016 season, just in time for Luke to be able to move up from Bingo as he turned down Murray already because his daughter is still in college (graduates in 2016).

Fire up the tanks!

Alumni
Date:

Dunno if Spezza would still be here if the Stache wasn't. I'm sure though if he gave the team an ultimatum of "Either he goes or I go" and they got rid of him, the classy thing to do would be to stick around, but I don't know if that's actually what happened.

The problem when a team is getting derailed is you can't just fire all the players.. you fire the coach.

Also I think an out of work NHL coach would leap at the chance to coach anywhere, if the contract was decent-enough. Hell if I were in that position I'd even go to Edmonton.

Pan
Alumni
Date:

SensKat wrote:

Of course, with the reputation that this team now has as coach-killers, I can't see many experienced coaches wanting to actually sign here.

This reputation doesn't reall make sense.  As Karlsson said when he got the captaincy, only 3 guys have been here longer than him.  And only a handful of the guys were here under Clouston (I can only think of Greening, Smith and Condr). Sure when you look at it as an organization it looks bad, but it's not like the Capitals where Ovechkin has had 5 coaches at least already. 

Alumni
Date:

Can't say I'm shocked, but I'm a bit surprised by this. OK, things weren't going according to plan, but somehow I didn't think it was a thing fixable by coaching. Yes, we could do with a little less line juggling, but further it was mostly the defence that was to blame IMO. Not just their play, but also plain talentwise. I doubt we'll see much improvement with Melnyk's guy behind the bench and by now I hope we've started the tank properly. But no, somehow I fear this change will do just enough to keep us out of the Top10 picks, but not enough to get us into the playoffs.

Pie Connoisseur
Date:

I am sad that it didn't work out for the Stach. I like the guy. Love the way he deals with the press and really liked the way he screwed up Montreal's players and coach's heads the year they beat out the Habs. But at the same time he was never able to implement a system that worked or that the players would play. They just seemed to be lost out there way to many nights.  And I don't think a number of the younger players are progressing as well as they should be and I think that has a lot to do with a lack of proper coaching. There are a lot of rumors out there that the main reason Spezza left was that he was tired of being called out by a coach that would not listen to him when he, as the captain of the team, voiced his concerns. I don't know much about Cameron but I hope that he can come up with some type of system that gets all the players on the same page. I would liked to have seen Luke Richardson given a shot. I think he could have helped defensively.

Jedi Master
Date:

Of course, with the reputation that this team now has as coach-killers, I can't see many experienced coaches wanting to actually sign here.

Confident Fan
Date:

SensKat wrote:

Not a fan of this move. At all. Obviously PM was having issues with some of the players... I believe "The best players felt like they were taking too much blame" was the quote.

But really, the revolving door of coaches every time the players whine is getting tiring. At least bring in somebody that's got some real NHL experience for once.

Exactly Kat---a coach with real NHL experience would be nice for once for sure.  The last coach they hired with real sustained winning experience was GMBrianMurray.  You'd think he'd get the hint since he's hired all these guys he's had to fire.  Sheeeshh. Remember that Clouston turned the team around that he took over in mid season and we all thought he was the answer till he wasn't the answer and the players started hating him.  Then MacLean almost won Coach of the Year his first year and then did win Coach of the Year after his second year and then in the Fourth year he totally sucks and all the front office and the dink Melnyk fire him too.   This is not a coaching problem it's far deeper than that and I really think it starts with the one guy you can't fire.  The Owner!!!

Alumni
Date:

This article is interesting: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2293331-paul-maclean-never-stood-a-chance-with-ottawa-senators-in-2014-15

I tend to agree that the cards were kinda stacked against the Paulrus. 

Jedi Master
Date:

Not a fan of this move. At all. Obviously PM was having issues with some of the players... I believe "The best players felt like they were taking too much blame" was the quote.

But really, the revolving door of coaches every time the players whine is getting tiring. At least bring in somebody that's got some real NHL experience for once.

Alumni
Date:

something had to give. obviously, Stache lost the room. we may never know why he became such a stubborn hardass but he did and as Shredder used to say, you have to coddle these athletes now, not thrash them.

is Cameron the right guy? wait and see, i guess. 

Alumni
Date:

So Uncle Eug's hand picked forced onto the coaching staff successor is finally getting the reigns.

:Facepalm:

About the only thing that will save this debacle is Richardson taking over at the end of the season with a shiny new top 5 toy.

-- Edited by Agent Orange on Monday 8th of December 2014 05:11:25 PM

Alumni
Date:

Is Cameron the answer?  If coaching was the issue and he was part of the coaching staff, how much will change with Cameron?

Typically how much input and influence does an assistant coach have?  If the coaching staff were all on the same page, then I can't see things change too much.  

If there was disagreement within the coaching staff, then I can see that transcend to the ice and players seem disorganized on most nights like they have been.

Veteran
Date:

This press conference is pretty damning.

Veteran
Date:

Yikes. Best case scenario now would be to roll out the tanks.

Pan
Alumni
Date:

Dave Cameron to take over intermittently.  Like the term that Kardinal just used via text calling him Melnyk's pet.  That's very true. 

Another thing is, would Spezza still be here if Maclean wasn't?

ANNND GO!

Page 1 of 1  sorted by
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.