Password 
    Remember Me  

Topic: BFR is signed; EK65 is the new captain

Post Info
Jedi Master
Date:
RE: BFR is signed; EK65 is the new captain

Kardinal wrote:

The Ryan contract has a full NMC and a partial NTC, where the NTC is a list of 10 teams he *will* go to.  At least, that's the way I've heard it described. 

hmmm.... NMC for the first few and then NTC I assume?

It's not terrible, but there's lots of time still to see how it will play out.  I have no problem with them signing him long-term.

Jedi Master
Date:

tjlincoln wrote:

Don't u guys think that the Coaches and Murray's guys in the front office talked to and watched EK65 here in the pre season and over the off season and made a decision based on his maturity that he's shown since last season?  

He was totally frustrated last year because of the team and his own injury not healing like he had hoped it would.

As for keeping him they already have him on a long term contract that cannot be renegotiated per the CBA so he's in Ottawa. 

Nope.  I think they are terrified of the repercussions of having a third star player walk out on the team.

And being on a long-term contract means absolutely nothing when it comes to keeping a player.  

Alumni
Date:

Maybe they are challenging karlsson to mature a little faster.

btw, I said in his rookie season he'd be capt one day. That's right, I did!!!

Alumni
Date:

The Ryan contract has a full NMC and a partial NTC, where the NTC is a list of 10 teams he *will* go to.  At least, that's the way I've heard it described.  I'm not surprised it's 7 years as most top stars are that long these days and it's about buying a few extra years to get the ones you really want.  He's 27 years old, so he'll be 34 when the contract ends and not the 41 that Hossa will be when his long-term contract is up.

I'm not sold on the captain being EK65, but since that's the direction the team is going I'll go with it.

Confident Fan
Date:

Don't u guys think that the Coaches and Murray's guys in the front office talked to and watched EK65 here in the pre season and over the off season and made a decision based on his maturity that he's shown since last season?  

He was totally frustrated last year because of the team and his own injury not healing like he had hoped it would.

As for keeping him they already have him on a long term contract that cannot be renegotiated per the CBA so he's in Ottawa. 

Jedi Master
Date:

I'm ok with the Ryan signing, happy to have him planning to stay, and the term is not a killer since I've heard nothing about a NTC?

I'm not jumping for joy on them naming Karlsson captain either, though. Really, IMO, he's done nothing to show that he deserves it, and this is just a desperate attempt to keep him in Ottawa. I would rather have seen them go into the season without a Captain.

Alumni
Date:

Senior living up to his avatar... ;)

Pie Connoisseur
Date:

The Ryan contract is just stupid. No contract should be longer than 5 years. As far as I'm concerned, he has really not proved he is worth that type of money. But I guess if they don't throw a bunch of money at him someone else will. Just another example of how owners need to be protected from themselves.

I don't think that Karlsson is ready to be the captain.  The fact that he is the Sens best player doesn't mean he is a leader. He needs to mature more and I think his play last year showed that.

-- Edited by senior on Thursday 2nd of October 2014 06:25:14 PM

-- Edited by senior on Thursday 2nd of October 2014 06:26:16 PM

Confident Fan
Date:

LOL@Russell, I did actually snicker at that blast at Melnyk 

I think both are good news moving forward--it shows they are spending that local TV money and that EK65 is maturing into a leader 

Alumni
Date:

Just melnyk trying to cut his news conference budget in half. 

Alumni
Date:

I guess the Sens didn't want to have announcements on two separate days, so we get two at the same news conference:

1) Bobby Freakin' Ryan has been signed to a 7yr / $7.25M AAV contract extension.

2) Erik Karlsson is the 9th captain in team history.

No work on who will wear an A, but Neil and Phillips were on the podium so that could be a clue.

I have to say, I like good news announcements like this one.  

Page 1 of 1  sorted by
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.