Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  

Topic: NHL rule changes (the short version)

Post Info
Alumni
Date:
RE: NHL rule changes (the short version)

i can see how it would be tough for a ref to catch all the diving. its happens so fast and sometimes you can only tell on the replays. that's why i think the league should be able to fine the player after the fact, by video. that way, the player knows he wont get away with it because the ref couldn't quite see it. they'll get him eventually.

to me, this is really important for the league to get under control. it undermines the game's credibility.

Veteran
Date:

I think I like this one.  Faceoffs already take too long when Linesmen keep booting players out.

Rule 76 – Face-offs

To curb delay tactics on face-offs after icing infractions, in situations where the defending team is guilty of a face-off violation, following an icing, the defending player who is initially lined up for the face-off will be given a warning, but will be required to remain in the circle to take the face-off. A second face-off violation by the defending team in such situation will result in a two minute minor bench penalty.

Alumni
Date:

What, you think these little 'tweaks' aren't going to fix everything?  But....but....all the other tweaks have.  :: eye roll ::

I've got my doubts about the diving changes being anything more than words, but I guess we'll have to see.  I'm confused as to why there are changes being made to the trapezoid though; was there really a problem with goalies playing the puck too much?

Alumni
Date:

and about the "spin-o-rama", again because the refs don't call it......  many times when the player does the spin-o-rama, he is in the crease in contact with the goalie when he scores and it counts.  If your making contact with a goalie in his crease,  isn't that goaltender interference and no goal?

Alumni
Date:

Supplementary discipline on diving is a joke.

The new "rule" is 

Incident #Player Fine(s)Head Coach Fine(s)
1WarningN/A
2$2,000N/A
3$3,000N/A
4$4,000$2,000
5$5,000$3,000
6$5,000$4,000
7$5,000$5,000
8$5,000$5,000

Previously it was this

The first such incident during the season will result in a warning letter being sent to the player. The second such incident will result in a one thousand dollar ($1,000) fine. For a third such incident in the season, the player shall be suspended for one game, pending a telephone conversation with the Director of Hockey Operations. For subsequent violations in the same season, the player’s suspension shall double (i.e. first suspension – one game, second suspension – two games, third suspension – four games, etc.) 

Now I ask you, which is higher.

1. The number of times the Leafs made the playoffs in the last 10 years?

2. The number of times we heard about supplementary discipline for diving in the past 3 years?

In addition to supplementary discipline, the NHL needs to make a diving call an automatic 4 minute penalty.  With the NHL not backing up their own rule book, players that regularly dive have not nothing to lose.  

1.  It worked and his team gets a PP

2.  He gets caught, and it ends up being off setting minors, because the ref still calls the phantom hook or high stick on the other team.

If a team points out that the ref missed some diving call in a game so the NHL takes a 2nd look at possible supplementary discipline, what to you think will happen the next time that ref officiates that team's next game.

Alumni
Date:

Rule 64: the Hab rule

i always viewed the shoot-out as a necessary evil, but as long as its in the game, i say let them do whatever they want. its a skills contest so let them go for it.

Confident Fan
Date:

I hate the shootout, especially when my team loses in it

Alumni
Date:

The full story can be found here; this is the Reader's Digest condensed version:

Rule 1.8 – Rink - Goalkeeper's Restricted Area (trapezoid)

Rule 1.9 – Rink – Face-off Spots and Circles – Ice Markings/Hash Marks

Rule 23 – Game Misconduct Penalties

Rule 24 – Penalty Shot

Rule 38 – Video Goal Judge

Rule 57 – Tripping

Rule 64 – Diving / Embellishment

Rule 76 – Face-offs

Rule 84 – Overtime

Rule 85 – Puck Out of Bounds

I think this was best summed up by Roberto Luongo:  @strombone1 "Can we keep the spin-o-rama and ban the shootout instead @NHL?"

Page 1 of 1  sorted by
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.