Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  

Topic: CRTC: possible changes to channel packaging / pricing

Post Info
Alumni
Date:
RE: CRTC: possible changes to channel packaging / pricing

I have 999 channels, I watch about 15 of them, maybe.  No way rogers is going to let me off the hook for that much. They'll rig it so that you won't save much. 

What Pan says is true. Rogers has deals all the time that they can offer you but just don't tell you about. All you have to do is call up and ask for them. They will give them to you. If they don't, ask for the customer retention dept. so many people are cancelling their cable and going online, they are desperate to keep customers. 

Jedi Master
Date:

Homer wrote:

Is it really gong to change anything? I can just see it

Basic package is $25

Any 10 additional channels at $5 each
or...
Any 50 additional channels at $1 each

or what ever price structure they come up with where you end up paying the same as you do now.

Right now because of the way the channels are bundled, I end up paying for over 100 channels that I NEVER watch to get the ones that I want.  There is no way that it will end up costing me the same amount if we go to a pick and pay system.

Confident Fan
Date:

Pan wrote:

The whole thing is a scam. I just called to renegotiate my cost and they dropped it by $60 without an argument (I don't yell on the phone, just ask nice and be friendly so they don't try to get rid of me). That said, if they're able to drop the cost by 30% just like that, how much is their profit margin? They may be breaking even on the basic package, but maybe they'll cut HD or whatever.

I don't know what all u are talking about, but what Pan did in my opinion is brilliant

Pan
Alumni
Date:

The whole thing is a scam. I just called to renegotiate my cost and they dropped it by $60 without an argument (I don't yell on the phone, just ask nice and be friendly so they don't try to get rid of me). That said, if they're able to drop the cost by 30% just like that, how much is their profit margin? They may be breaking even on the basic package, but maybe they'll cut HD or whatever.

Alumni
Date:

To be sure, there will be some wiggling and screwing around by the content delivery companies, and I do know that some channels cost more than others to provide (eg/ TSN cost more to the provider than say Bravo or Showcase), so I don't think they'll all be priced the same way and there will still be bundling going on, but depending on what is deemed to be part of the 'basic' package it could be interesting.   Right now, SportsNet is part of basic cable on Rogers, but TSN isn't.  That could be a selling point for Bell but also an incentive to Rogers to have it as a loss-leader in pricing to keep customers with large packages.

It won't be simple, it won't be pretty, and probably won't work as well as it should as far as value for money for consumers, but the current system isn't good either when it comes getting what you want and not having to take a lot of other crap as well AND paying a fortune for it all.

Alumni
Date:

Is it really gong to change anything? I can just see it

Basic package is $25

Any 10 additional channels at $5 each
or...
Any 50 additional channels at $1 each

or what ever price structure they come up with where you end up paying the same as you do now.

Alumni
Date:

The CRTC is considering changing how content delivery companies package / sell channels, with the proposal to have a basic package between $20 and $30 per month and then other channels priced individually.    Given that SportsNet and TSN are both either going or have 5+ channels with content all over each of them, hockey fans should get involved in the online discussion forums at the CRTC and have their say over whether they want this (I know I do!).

Full story: http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do?nid=877919 (includes link to online discussion forum)

Page 1 of 1  sorted by
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.