Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  

Topic: 2014 off-season signings / trades / etc

Post Info
Alumni
Date:
RE: 2014 off-season signings / trades / etc

WHAT THE HELL! MAKE HIM CAPTAIN! I'M DRINKING THE KOOL-AID! #legwandforlife! #flipflop.

Alumni
Date:

Leg wand. Tee hee hee

Alumni
Date:

Ok, I'm coming around on this, a bit. Versatile vets never hurt.

Alumni
Date:

An interesting article, including comments from Stars GM Jim Nill about the Spezza trade. He thinks GMBM drove a hard bargain and knew which players to insist on getting: Nichols' Notes: Stars GM Jim Nill

Dallas Stars GM Jim Nill joined Sportsnet 590 Friday morning. He was naturally asked right off the bat about the deal to get Jason Spezza; including surrendering Alex Chiasson, the key part of the return going the other way.

"Well, he's a good young player. He's going to be a power forward. He's 6-foot-4, 220 pounds, he's got a real good touch around the net and, you know - I know Bryan's - everybody's down on Bryan, but Bryan did a good job. He got the right pieces. He went after the right guys.

"Much like the Tyler Seguin deal last year, nobody really knew who Reilly Smith was until this season and now they know who he is. So Ottawa got a good young player and then the young kids they got in the deal, the Guptill kid played at University of Michigan. I think the real sleeper, and the guy I didn't want to give up, but Bryan insisted and that's where his staff did a good job, was Nicholas Paul who's in North Bay. He's going to be a good player. He's been invited to Canada's World Junior team. He's a 6-foot-4 centerman. He's going to be a good solid player, so Bryan - they did a good job. They got the assets they needed to get. They're young players and it's going to help their team, so it was a good hockey trade that way.

Veteran
Date:

It seems weird that it would take the Legwand signing to get me excited about the off-season moves, but I like the shape that Ottawa is taking for 2014-2015 so far. I don't have any delusions of a cup run, but I'm hoping that the team will at the very least be entertaining to watch. And as long as they're not frustrating to watch, that's all I ask for.

This has got to be the last year for Neil/Phillips though...need to move on from those players like we have with the rest of the Cup Run players.

Alumni
Date:

He's going to *get* the 2C spot, not try and take it from Zbad. I can't see Murray or MacLean taking a veteran, proven NHL C and putting him on a shutdown or energy role behind a player who's yet to prove much other than he came to camp last year out of shape and full of himself.

Alumni
Date:

Yawn. That's nice.

Alumni
Date:

I like it. He can step up to the 2nd line spot if Zibby struggles, and he gives the Sens the option to move Smith if they wan't to package him for an upgrade on D.

Pan
Alumni
Date:

Legwand signs 2 year $6M total. I like this deal because:
-don't give up any assets
-Turris played a lot of the PK. This will let Turris spend more ice time on EV or PP
-as Russell tweeted, it's better than committing to Vinnie for 4 years
-assets not given up can be bundled to get us one quality defenceman
-leadership as he was the Captain of Nashville
-I think it's enough to hit the cap floor so the money doesn't really matter

Alumni
Date:

Sens sign Legwand. I'm underwhelmed but I guess they did what they could to plug a hole. Better than Vinnie for 4 yrs. just seems like one of those guys you'll forget was ever on the team 5 yrs from now, like lapointe.

Pie Connoisseur
Date:

Could pick him up and hope he has a good year. Then try and get something for him at the trade deadline.

Alumni
Date:

Russell wrote:

i think vinny might help for a year or two but wouldn't want him past that.

Exactly the point I was trying to make.  I don't see the point of taking him on either, unless it comes with something else *very* tempting like a couple of high draft picks.

I'd rather see Zibanejad or even Lazar given a chance than pick up Legwand, as that move just means there's no room for a young C to get a shot at top 6 minutes and if we are going to develop young talent they have to be given the proper chance to do it.   You don't develop at #1/#2 C by playing them on the 3rd/4th line....they'd do better playing on the top two lines in Bingo, but they don't earn an NHL salary doing that.

Pan
Alumni
Date:

Labru, you mean Vinny plus 3 first round picks for Claessen. I believe that's what Melnyk was speaking of last year!

Why bother with a trade - unless it's Patrick Sharp. Otherwise, go call David Legwand and see what he wants. $3M for 2 years to get leadership, an OK 2C and not give anything up for him.

Alumni
Date:

I've read somewhere that the Sens would want something more than just a discount on his salary.
Melnyk already prophesied that one day teams in cap trouble would beg 'sensible teams' to help them out by take some players off their hands.

Add these things together: how about one of our 2nd rounders next year (preferably the lesser one) for Lecavalier and Philly's first. And Philly takes on approx. half of Vinny's salary. I think I'd go for that.

Think about it: add a centre (albeit on the downside of his career) with experience, leadership and a cup-ring for 2M in the first year, 1,25M (if the signing bonus is picked up by the Flyers, otherwise 2,25M) for the second, 1,5M in the 3rd and 4th year. I'm not sure how all the cap stuff works and who retains what, but if we're willing to take these kinds of risks on an aging Philips, why not pay this price for an extra first rounder in a rich draft? IMO we could use some experience up front now Spezza's gone.

Alumni
Date:

i think vinny might help for a year or two but wouldn't want him past that.

Confident Fan
Date:

Philadelphia is going to have to eat a very large part of that salary if this is going to happen I would have to believe.

Jedi Master
Date:

I wondered right from the time of Murray's presser on Tuesday if Vinny was who he was talking about... I'm not sure he's what this team needs right now, but you have to admit it would be interesting.

Pan
Alumni
Date:

Spezza>Lecavalier

Alumni
Date:

There has been some talk on Twitter today about something I was wondering about over the past week or so: Vinny Lecavalier to Ottawa.

He's definitely on the back nine of his career (probably talking to the cart cat at the 16th tee), and he has 4 years left on his deal with Philadelphia. Even if the price is reasonable ($4.5M cap hit), I'm not keen on bringing him here and having him take ice time from Zibanejad / Lazar / etc after this season.

Thoughts?

Pan
Alumni
Date:

Yep. We can't even say ****roach

«First  <  1 2 3 4 510  >  Last»  | Page of 10  sorted by
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.