Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  

Topic: Spezza

Post Info
Alumni
Date:
RE: Spezza

If this team was offered a reasonably-healthy-but-had-injury problems, point-a-game-lifetime playmaking #1 centre for $4M who's name wasn't Spezza, everyone would be jumping up and down and demanding that he be traded for and then signed to an extension. However, because his name has two zeds in it, they're demanding that the team jettison him. Welcome to notmakingtheplayoffsville folks; we hope you enjoy a stay that could be lengthy. Remember, you demanded it.

Jedi Master
Date:

Well that's certainly one spin that the Spezza haters can put on it, I suppose - but I doubt you will find anyone else that sees it that way. What they see is a top-flite 1C in this league that is tired of being crapped on and blamed for the misfortunes of a team whose ownership is unwilling to commit to doing what it takes to win.

Spezza was never given a fair shake bye the media or fans of this team, and after everything else that's happened the last few years, I can't see many people actually blaming him for wanting out.

Alumni
Date:

GMBM has publically stated that Spezza has wanted to be traded not once, but twice, and the Garrioch tweet about how he wanted out because of he was sick of being blamed for when the team doesn't perform well puts Spezza in a very negative PR position: soft, quitter, etc.

By putting out that it's a budget issue and the team, it makes it look more competitive, just in time when he needs to be arguing a long term deal with whomever he gets traded to.

Jedi Master
Date:

What? Why would Spezza's "camp" be doing damage control?

Alumni
Date:

The complete "I never asked to be traded unless you build a team around me" excuse screams of damage control from Spezza's camp.

Pan
Alumni
Date:

Nilsson isn't media. He's some guy that mass tweets us to get the word out too, but wouldn't a commitment to succeed not be an interest to a player?

Jedi Master
Date:

Since we will never know what was actually said - it's entirely possible that what he originally said was that he wanted the commitment to being competitive, and when he didn't get that, he asked to be traded. One story doesn't necessarily negate the other.

But I hate all of this speculation and rumour at this point. I don't blame him for not wanting to go down with the ship.

Alumni
Date:

I'd say the Ottawa media is becoming Toronto-like too. It's the worst of both worlds.

Can we turn the media machine off until the draft? A total media blackout? Mmmmm, yeah, that'd be great.

Pie Connoisseur
Date:
Alumni
Date:

Ownership needs to be quiet, as that's the only way they'll let management get on with what needs to be done without every step being questioned / condemned because it's not in line with "what Melnyk said on Toronto radio last week".

Turris as captain is an interesting idea; I'm not saying I'm against it, but I'd rather let him have a season or two trying to be the #1 centre without the additional burden of being the captain as well.

Pan
Alumni
Date:

I would be so much more comfortable if they come out and say that they're taking a long term approach and I would rather have Gryba and Wiercioch over Phillips. Sure they'll suck, but at least they could still be around long term. Give Turris the C. He's young and will be the leader. karlsson just isn't mature enough at all.

Other option is to trade guys like Spezza and hope to hell that the odds turn in our favour on the ice to shock people and make the playoffs, but I'd rather the full rebuild.

Ownership, management and coaching need to all be on the same page, and they don't seem to be

Confident Fan
Date:

Ian Mendes just said on Winnipeg radio podcast that the Sens would be very lucky with a 1st Rounder and a top 9 player. Then why the hell trade him if that's all you can get.
Bad management all around if that's it, it all starts with ownership. Of course I'm getting PO'd about something that hasn't happened yet

Alumni
Date:

It's taken me a few months to get to the fact that Spezza will be leaving and honestly, I don't blame him. Also the fact that the Senators announce he's looking for a trade does mean that they're eager to sell, so we won't get equal compensation.

Obviously I don't know the intricacies of the business but it will be very sad to see him go. That being said too, I know he wouldn't be around forever anyway.

Just please, please don't trade him to Toronto or Boston, the only two teams I can't bring myself to cheer for. Anyone else would be at least tolerable.. lol

Alumni
Date:

labru wrote:

Totally agree, this at least leaves a very foul taste in my mouth.

Considering that I don't have any local ties or whatever with this team, but primarily became a fan of the team because of the play of the team at the time (2003-4-ish), with the play of 11-19-15 being a major factor...

I see management repeating old mistakes, an unwilling owner who does more harm than good to the franchise at this moment...

Watching some 'real hockey' in the playoffs made the foundations of my Sens-beliefs really shake.

Luke and Chet made some good points in their last podcast, make a new total shake-up, start fresh, appoint a young captain and accept a little more sucking for a real rebuild! I could live with that as there would be at least a prospect of better days. Now? I don't see 'em. What will the return for Spezza be? Too little I'm afraid, as GMBM's hands are tied with this requested trade. But keep investing in players like Philips, Neil and Greening and playing them over the likes of Wiercioch. I'm afraid to say it, but we're becoming the Leafs of a few years back but then on a ridiculous budget (which wouldn't be much of a problem if the majority would be filled with very promising ELC's and Turris/McArthur-like contracts, but I'm fearing the UFA additions to reach the cap floor already).

The only one I am blaming the organization on driving out is #11, but his camp bears a good chunk of the blame too.  #15 hated playing for the coach, and was later proven right.  But he screwed the team by simply sitting on SJ or bust.  #19 wants a fresh start because he felt he was "unfairly" being blamed for when the team doesn't do well.  That's on the fans and media largely and his lack of a thick skin.  

Melnyk needs to shut his mouth, but he is not Bill Wirtz.  Selling his horses, the new TV revenue, and the Trimel news should stabilize the finances for a bit evileye.

We need vets like Phillips and Neil in order to not become the Oilers.  Look at the roster from the 07-08 Blackhawks, young players on ELC and a mix of middle agers and overpaid vets.  Greening was a gamble that is probably not going to payoff, it happens.  I wouldn't be surprised that TB gets burned on the Palat deal

Wiercioch is a big body defenseman that doesn't play physical, but can rack up points on the PP.  He's a Spezza as a defenseman.  

We just finished year three of a rebuild with horrible regression on D and in goal.  Being done with the rebuild doesn't mean that we are Stanley Cup contenders.  It just means that we have rebuilt the core of the team and are ready to compete for the playoffs.  I'd say mission accomplished with a new core of Turris, MacArthur, Ryan, Zibby, Karlsson, Ceci, Lazar, and Lehner.

If GMBM signs Callahan or trades for Stewart then the Leaf comparison will be sort of accurate.

Alumni
Date:

I never thought I would say it as I would never have accepted the trade straight up last year. But I now would agree with a trade with Anaheim for Silfverberg, Noessen (or was it Puempel? I always mix 'em up) and a first.

Alumni
Date:

senior wrote:

As my barber, (a hard core Sens fan) said today, if Spezza pulled a Heatly and told Murray he would only go to a couple of teams of his choosing and to hell with what Ottawa could get in return, he would be fine with it. And now the other teams know Ottawa have to move Spezza and they can and will low-ball Murray. This organization is quickly becoming a joke.

-- Edited by senior on Wednesday 11th of June 2014 06:52:46 PM

Bang! On!

Alumni
Date:

Russell wrote:

well, there you have it. Spezza has asked for a trade. Does Systine have to give me back my $100 now?

Like I said on Twitter, It wasn't that long ago 11,15 &19 were the best line in hockey. Now, all have left organization willingly. Are we going to blame all of them?

Totally agree, this at least leaves a very foul taste in my mouth.

Considering that I don't have any local ties or whatever with this team, but primarily became a fan of the team because of the play of the team at the time (2003-4-ish), with the play of 11-19-15 being a major factor...

I see management repeating old mistakes, an unwilling owner who does more harm than good to the franchise at this moment...

Watching some 'real hockey' in the playoffs made the foundations of my Sens-beliefs really shake.

Luke and Chet made some good points in their last podcast, make a new total shake-up, start fresh, appoint a young captain and accept a little more sucking for a real rebuild! I could live with that as there would be at least a prospect of better days. Now? I don't see 'em. What will the return for Spezza be? Too little I'm afraid, as GMBM's hands are tied with this requested trade. But keep investing in players like Philips, Neil and Greening and playing them over the likes of Wiercioch. I'm afraid to say it, but we're becoming the Leafs of a few years back but then on a ridiculous budget (which wouldn't be much of a problem if the majority would be filled with very promising ELC's and Turris/McArthur-like contracts, but I'm fearing the UFA additions to reach the cap floor already).

Alumni
Date:

Kardinal wrote:

Ohpleaseohpleaseohpleaseohpleaseohpleasephplease.....that would be awesome if the Leafs picked up Thornton. They have 12 players signed right now, have $16M in cap space available, and he's $6.75M per season for three more seasons. That would be epic !

(sorry, this is off-topic for the Spezza thread....I should start a Laugh-at-the-Laffs thread)

With you there.

By the way, is there a way to quickly vote on a post? Starring, or thumbs up/down would do. I haven't been here for a while and there are simply to much posts to react on every one that made you LOL or agree with.

Alumni
Date:

Agent Orange wrote:

Number one centers are a luxury, but are not necessary to have for team success out of the final four in the East this season only Pitt has a true #1 elite center.

Correction, they have 2!

Alumni
Date:

canuck wrote:

Does Boyle have his own micro brewery? :)

Hear, hear!

«First  <  1 2 3 4 5 68  >  Last»  | Page of 8  sorted by
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.