Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  

Topic: Spezza

Post Info
Alumni
Date:
RE: Spezza

Good piece over at Silver7Sens: http://www.silversevensens.com/2014/7/2/5816322/spezzas-departure-and-the-end-of-childhood-dreams about Spezza's time here and the course of the Sens in that period.

Alumni
Date:

Don't feel bad, we could be Florida.... or.. you could be Winnipeg... or Edmonton....

I'm just happy Spezza didn't go to a team I despise. And he's in the same division as the Jets so I'll be able to see him a couple times a year depending.

But yeah, this season is going to suck in the meantime.

Alumni
Date:

spezza and hemsky will go to dallas, and provided they stay healthy, will likely put up good reg. season numbers. but when they run up against chi, LA, Anaheim or St.Louis in the play-offs, they wont be able to play that style and will not make a difference.

Confident Fan
Date:

Puddleduck wrote:

Well ... that's over with. Thank God ... now we can move on with what we have left. Re-signing Michalek makes me want to vomit right now, though ...

Face it , folks ... we just became Buffalo. WITHOUT the new owner willing to spend money ... greee-eat. ;([)

Buffalo for some reason didn't get the memo to totally suck again for McDavid, they actually went out and bought and traded for some decent players

Pie Connoisseur
Date:

I wonder if I still have my old Habs sweater around here somewhere.

Rookie
Date:

Well ... that's over with. Thank God ... now we can move on with what we have left. Re-signing Michalek makes me want to vomit right now, though ...

Face it , folks ... we just became Buffalo. WITHOUT the new owner willing to spend money ... greee-eat. ;([)

Pan
Alumni
Date:

Hey, it's better than what we got for Heatley. Chiasson shows a lot of promise and it seems that the other two guys could potentially fill in for bottom 6 depth. I also have a feeling that Murray will be able to package up the two first rounders and get at least 2 first round picks for next year. That said, Ryan is as good as gone now.

Confident Fan
Date:

Now that I've looked at the numbers on Chiasson and the 2 "supposed" prospects I feel even more confident that McDavid or the USA Center Eichel who is right with him will be in a Senator jersey next October.
The Canucks stole the Kesler trade compared to this return. But what's a team to do when it alienates it's star players?

Confident Fan
Date:

If Hemsky and Spezzy lite it up in Dallas who do we blame? Russell or Pan or Melnyk?

-- Edited by tjlincoln on Tuesday 1st of July 2014 05:41:19 PM

Rookie
Date:

They were never going to get a great package for him with only 1 year left on his contract. It looks like they got a pair of decent players, one longshot and a pick that stands a good chance of netting another decent player next year. They can now move on. But it will seriously need to spend a little money soon, or this team will become quickly irrelevant.

Confident Fan
Date:

Chiasson is good, I've watched him play vs Canucks and Sharks and he's got talent IMO. The market sucked as we all saw. The Ducks stole that 1st Rd pick out of Ottawa last season because of the Alfredson fiasco, Ottawa was forced to give up that first round pick Dallas wasn't forced

Jedi Master
Date:

Great interview on TSN. Showing how very much he has matured in the last few years from the giggly kid so many still see him as.

Alumni
Date:

Now let's see what Murray can do with the extra cap space. I'm not optimistic, though, since the team's owner has deep pockets and short arms. 

-- Edited by ShanghaiSenator on Tuesday 1st of July 2014 12:18:32 PM

Jedi Master
Date:

Ian Mendes ‏@ian_mendes 41s
Jason Spezza's return to Ottawa: January 29th, 2015 when Dallas comes to town.

Mark your calendars! I want to see Spezz get a great reception on his return, for everything he's done for this team.

Alumni
Date:

Not a horrible package, gives the team options at wing and prospects that are farther along in their development.  The market sucked.  As a reminder though Boston wanted Chiasson in the Seguin trade, and Dallas said no.

Chiasson (2nd round 2009) - Currently in NHL

Talent Analysis

Has a good blend of size and skill. Decent speed on his feet, but needs to work on skating, especially stride. Obviously needs to fill out his 6’3 frame. Can stickhandle through traffic with so much poise. Goes to the net, but will have to learn to get a bit grittier in close. Needs to be a little more patient in his own end. Likes to take off before team has secured possession. There are some concerns about his effort level. Is a very good playmaker from the winger position. Potential top-six play making winger, like a more talented version of Blake Wheeler.

Guptil (LW) - 3rd Round 2010 (currently playing college at Michigan)

Talent Analysis

A big body that quickly impressed Michigan coach Red Berenson with his offensive ability. A terrific goal scorer that exudes offensive potential. He thinks on a high-level and can keep up with talented offensive minds. He goes to the front of the net well and can score on the rush with a quality wrister. A good skater that protects the puck well. Still learning the game and his defensive responsibilities. He has a very projectable frame and could grow into a rather powerful forward down the line.

Nicholas Paul, C, North Bay Battalion

Acquired: 4th round (101st overall) in 2013

Now more a pivot than a winger, Nick Paul is doing his best to make the most of his increased ice time and role. The second-year player skates for the same team but in a new barn as the Battalion have moved from Brampton to North Bay. Paul has already matched his goal total from last season (12) in half as many games. Not a star-studded club, the Battalion try to hang in there by playing a 200-foot game as best as they can. Paul is working on polishing his defensive game and he has been given time on the penalty kill.

Ultimately, there is not a lot to Paul’s game. He can shoot and he is a game competitor. The Stars fourth round pick has been a little cheekier with the stickhandling this year and has surprised some defensemen and crease dwellers as a result. His upside does not appear to be particularly high overall but he has improved this season.

Also...

Paul - 19 - 6'2 - finished 3rd in playoff goal scoring this season

He’s a huge, powerful winger who can use his hands to beat defenders with superior puckhandling skills, or to beat the hell out of them when he drops the gloves. That’s a rare combination. His club’s restrictive defensive system prevented him from putting up the points that garner attention.” – Red Line Report 2013 Draft Guide

-- Edited by Agent Orange on Tuesday 1st of July 2014 11:50:18 AM

Jedi Master
Date:

Seriously, so we got a bunch of nothing for him. Awesome.

Rookie
Date:

Per TSN:
Jason Spezza will venture into unfamiliar territory with a new NHL club as the Ottawa Senators have agreed to a deal with the Dallas Stars, pending a trade call. The Senators will receive Alex Chiasson, Alex Guptill, Nicholas Paul and second round pick in 2015. Ludwig Karlsson is headed to Dallas alongside Spezza.

Jedi Master
Date:

Be interesting to see what the return is. Better be worth it.

Alumni
Date:

Bruce Garrioch ‏@SunGarrioch 1m
Jason Spezza has been dealt to the Dallas Stars pending a trade call. Involves substantial prospects and avails cash for other trades. #Sens

Game on.

Mike Heika ‏@MikeHeika

Stars-Senators have agreed to Spezza deal. Awaiting trade call for confirmation. I'm hearing three forwards and a draft pick.

-- Edited by Agent Orange on Tuesday 1st of July 2014 11:06:27 AM

Alumni
Date:

This is post rebuild, year 1. They are not in another rebuild now because they are trading Spezza.

1 2 38  >  Last»  | Page of 8  sorted by
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.