Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  

Topic: Penguins down!

Post Info
Alumni
Date:
RE: Penguins down!

Took about all of 20 minutes for that to happen.

Alumni
Date:

......and as soon as Rutherford is hired, Dan Bylsma is fired. He's been twisting in the wind for 3+ weeks while other coaching jobs are filled. Did the team really think any new GM would be keeping him on?

Alumni
Date:

Jim Rutherford is going to be announced as the new GM of the Penguins. I guess this means the decision to move him out of the GM office and "upstairs" at CAR wasn't made by him. Pierre McGuire loses out again, but I stopped and thought about that for a moment and realized he's never been a GM or an AGM but an assistant coach and (briefly) a head coach. Other than that, he's been a broadcaster. If I were a team owner / president, I'd be leery of hiring someone without any experience too.

Alumni
Date:

Just please, oh please, let him get the job. Pierre is a great sink of information on players, but I don't think he can build a successful hockey team.

Plus I won't have to listen to him on TV anymore.

Alumni
Date:

The talk these days is that Pierre McGuire is in the running to replace Shero. Whoever gets the job....do they do a major house-cleaning?

I wouldn't be surprised, as their post-season record hasn't exactly been amazing for a team with that much talent.

2008-2009: Stanley Cup Champions
2009-2010: lost in 2nd round
2010-2011: lost in 1st round
2011-2012: lost in 1st round
2012-2013: lost in 3rd round
2013-2014: lost in 2nd round

Chicago has won twice, LA is back in the finals for the 2nd time in 2 years, and I don't think you can argue they have *more* pure talent than PIT.

Pie Connoisseur
Date:

Penguins real problem is to much money tied up in a few players. They need better goaltending and defense.

Alumni
Date:

That's what it smacks of to me too. I got in an argument in the bar that night with a guy that said it was a good idea. You never fire the GM and saddle yourself with a lame duck head coach while the other good candidates are scooped up by rival teams.

Rumors have it that Cindy also has a bunch of input on who the team should target in FA and trades. No wonder that team is so dysfunctional.

Alumni
Date:

Firing Shero and not firing Bylsma......that's just odd to me. I'm wondering if it has something to do with "Cindy likes this coach so we'll keep him but build a different team around him". After all, what Cindy wants, Cindy gets.

Pan
Alumni
Date:

The Letang contract is a terrible one and decisions like that hurt. I think not retaining Iginla for what they have up was another strike, and no way should this team only have one cup when Chicago has 2 and possibly a 3rd this year. Malkin had a bad year (because I picked him in my pool, of course)

Has Fleury been worse off since Talbot left? They were close.

C3
Veteran
Date:

Well, they fired Shero... that's a start.
Its also really funny.

Alumni
Date:

Which is ridiculous. Does anyone really think Pittsburgh has a bad team?

Sure there are flaws, almost every team has flaws.

Alumni
Date:

Penguins fall to the Rangers, and social media / MSM are going crazy with speculation on what the changes might be.   Bylsma out?  Fleury gone?  Malkin traded?     Blow it up up up?

It couldn't happen to a better fanbase, as Leafers are already being tortured by the players and managment at MLSE.   biggrin

Page 1 of 1  sorted by
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.